1st week at work

hi all

As I feared doctor found me fit for work, must be a joke¡¡¡ Went back on tuesday and its been HORRIBLE¡¡¡¡ to say the least eventhough I have only been doing 4 hours

I really feel useless, dont know if its because of my nerves but stomach has been playing up on me, continuous nausea and feeling like throwing up all the time. Aside from the vertigo or strange head sentation as my right eye is partially paralized.

10 months away is a long time and I was used to getting up late and having a nap in the aftn. Must admit that during these months I slept perfectly during the night but since monday I wake up 2 or 3 times and unable to take aftn nap as too nervous.

On the other hand at work I really find it difficult to concentrate eventhough my memory and skills are untouched. Really hope this improves but it would be nice to hear from others as to how you felt the 1st days you were back. If these 4 days are a sample of how its going to be for me in the future I better quit right away but at the same time kids are now grown up so what would I be doing the whole day??

Any tips would be welcome

Hi Luisa,

It sounds like you are not ready for work yet. I went back too early and although I wasn't as bad as you, I needed frequent breaks and I worried that I wouldn't be able to do my job. I had more headaches and felt so tired when I got home and had to sleep.. I definitely took a step back in my recovery. The first week was the worst, after that it got steadily better. I was back at work for at least 6 months before I felt I could handle it fully. Having said that, going back to work gave my confidence a big boost. A feeling that things were getting back to normal.

Hi Luisa,

I think that the III nerve palsy to an eye is quite a huge handicap after a SAH and I'm sure that many other members who have suffered the same will agree with me .... I only lasted a few hours on my first day back and think that I included my work experience in My Story. I was about 6 months post SAH.

However, you do need to give yourself some time to regain your confidence as well as adapting to a new routine, without sleeping during the day .... I can't really give you any advice, apart from stick with it for a few weeks and see how you go ... don't give up too early, but do what's good for you.

Wishing you the very best of luck ....

Sending hugs to you....xx

Hi Luisa

I agree with Keith (Bogbrush) you may be back too soon. I went back to work after 10 months but was on a phased return. To start with I was to do 6 hours per week over 2 days but not consectutively. I remember feeling shattered and told them I needed retrained. I was to increase my hours slowly over 6 months. What Occupational Health said was that I was to take on some duties, consolidate them and then take on more. However, it didn't work as I had a an office supervisor and manager that put me under too much pressure and are now going through a process aftger having been accused of bullying, not just by me! After 11 weeks I was signed off again with work related stress. I was losing weight, had lost my appetite and was not sleeping the nigth before work. I was being made to feel useless by these two people.

However, my colleagues were wonderful. They each spoke to me about the SAH and welcomed me back. They were very encouraging. I remember one saying to me, when I told her my confidence had been badly affected, that if she were off work for 10 months, never mind having had a SAH, then she would lack confidence. Another even understood that it must have been nerve wracking just walking through the door!

However I am now back at work, working elsewhere in the hospital. This is my first week back and I have just completed a full week of 35 hours! But I've not needed a nap during the day now for 3 months. I know I would have been successful in my return to work last December if it were not for those two personalities but the difference now is amazing. I'm just so much better and so able to cope with work. I think you should see how it goes but if you are still feeling so the way you are then maybe you need to give yourself some more time.

I too now have no children at home, the last child to fly the nest left last Friday. I've found going back to work so much easier with just me and my husband. Things are easier in the morning and also in the evening. I like the house being quieter I'm afraid to admit. I always found on Monday mornings that I would be quite shattered from all the coming and going at the weekend!

Hi Luisa,

I'm sorry to hear you have found your first week back quite bad. If you are doing 4 hours each day it is a lot to cope with, I don't know what line of work you are in but I think any work can tire you out epecially if you are still suffering with your eye. I went back gradually,

building up to two full days, so it wasn't so bad. Having said that I did one 4 day week last week and my body certainly knew about it. I don't think I could do that week in week out, so you must see how you are over the next few weeks and decide if you can continue - can they accommodate you doing part time work anyway - that way you would not wear yourself out and possibly not get the boredom setting in. It may be you are not quite ready to go back at all yet - especially as it is affecting your sleep pattern and you are feeling nauseous whilst at work. Sorry not to be more help to you.

Sarah

Hi Luisa

I imagine you are feeling really tired after your first few days back. Like yourself I started back on 16 hrs a week but my superviser was brilliant and for the first 4-6 weeks I didn't really do my own job at all just got re-acclimatised to the office and caught up with all the changes that had taken place.

Karen is right in saying that it does seem harder after suffering a third nerve palsy. I have to have a humidifier with directional spout on my desk so that my eyes don't become to dry from working on vdu screens. I also over 18 mths found that I was unable to return to f/time hours in fact only ever reached 30 then reduced then down. I now only work 20 hours over 4 days and even that can be quite challenging and tiring.

If you think you are maybe starting on too many hours have a word with your supervisor or boss and let them know you need to start back a little slower. It is quite nerveracking at first after being at home but your confidence does gradually improve and the feeling of normalacy is good.

Thought I'd replied to this yesterday - obviously not:roll:

Yes agree with Keith, maybe you went back far to quickly, if you still feel the same in a few weeks and its not eased off then maybe your not ready for work yet.

hope it inproves tho.

take care

Thks for your words of sympathy and encouragement

I must say i have the entire support from my boss and colleagues. Over here we do not have Occupational Health service, you are either under sick leave or working full time. In fact I havent been doing practically any work except looking at e-mails and making a few calls but even that is proving to been too much added to my nerves.

I work at a shipping/forwarding agency, quite a hectic job and very demanding. Before my sha I had a number of employees under my supervision and right now i cant even manage to concentrate on the screen for too long.

Of course I will give it some time, I have an appointment with the doctor in 2 months to evaluate the final side effects of the sha to my eye. I´ve been working for 30 years and still 15 years to go for retirement (much too long time if its going to be like this) but at the same time im too young to get a decent pension if they finally find I am not fit for work apart from the fight I will problably have to get that ¡¡¡

Hi Luisa, i think you will have a period to adjust again but having said that Merrill is now nearly 16 months on and still needs that couple of hours in the afternoon, she has tried going without the afternoon laydown but it completly messes up her sleep at night and as you do she will wake up several times a night be very tired the next day and everything seems so much worse, but good luck with your return to work and i hope it gets easier for you,Best wishes Rod

Hi Luisa

I went back to work 6 months after my SAH starting with 4 hours on Mon, Wed and Fri afternoons. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. After my first afternoon I went home, collapsed into bed fully clothed and didn't get up until Wednesday morning. My second afternoon back at work was even worse, I felt so tired, very disorientated and thought my head might explode. I was ready to throw in the towel but went to see my GP the next day and she encouraged me to try to stick at it.

It did get better in time. After 6 weeks I was back full time but for the first 6 months I struggled on with a lot of fatigue.

It's very early days for you and you may have gone back a wee bit too early. I would say don't expect it to be easy at first but it will get better in time.

With warm wishes

Anne x

Hello Luisa,

Just read how your doing on the first week back to work. First I'd like to say well done and good for you getting to this stage in your recovery. I agree with everyone's replies and I'm sure things will get better in time. I returned to work on a phased return and it took me a year to get up to speed. I think someone mentioned returning to work helped their confidence and I agree it does help. I felt my work played a huge part in my recovery. I'm pleased to hear your work is understanding. Some people hear such as Liz didn't have such a good experience. (For Liz, Great to hear your still going in your job take care Melxxx)

Best Wishes