Lower back pain

Has anyone suffered with pain in their lower back post SAH?

My friends were laughing (affectionately) at me yesterday when they saw me trying to stand up from a seating position. I reminded them of the famous evolution picture and it would take me a few meters before I could walk upright!

I'm sure I read on the Brain and Spine foundation that there may be a medical reason for this, something to do with spinal fluid; but I'm eight months into recovery and thought it would clear up. I had around seven lumbar punctures in hospital. Could this have affected me?

Of course, it could be a lack of fitness. I used to do a lot of gym work and pilates and my core strength was very good. A painful lower back can be a result of weak abs. Would be interesting to hear your experiences.

Thanks everyone.

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I had extremely bad lower back pain and leg pain initially after the SAH and in the early months. I was told that it was the blood from the brain dispersing down the spinal cord and irritating the nerve endings.

However, if you're 8 months on, that seems a bit extreme, as I was told that blood could show up in the spinal fluid, for up to 3 months.

Hi Lynne I have lower back pain which started in hospital where it was really severe. It eased off by around three months which would tie up with what Karen says. I have tried to get some answers from the medics as I am still plagued with it especially when tired and always at the end of the day.

Strangely around eight months it was quite severe again but only for a while then it got alot better. I have been given some floor excercises to do to strengthen it.

I hope yours gets better for you.

I know this may be like teaching my Grandma to suck eggs as such :wink: .... but have you checked out your bed mattress? I recently bought a memory foam mattress a few months ago and have had pretty good sleep since then and no back pain, sciatica or stiffness.

I haven't got a clue about lumbar punctures, as I wasn't given one, as the bleed immediately showed on the CT scan, but guess that a lumbar puncture wouldn't help with any, with back pain. Could it be nerve pain?

Hi Karen, got myself a new bed which has a memory foam matress:biggrin:fabulous wouldn't be without it, whilst tucked up in bed am fine. But getting out of a car and up from a chair or settee is pretty grim. It hurts, & same as Lynne it takes a few steps to straighten up. I've aquired a weakness in my right leg which doesn't help. But am sure the pain is as a result of my SAH - the medics say not!Sorry Lynne am not much help!:frown:

It's the same with me Maggie .... well, getting out of a car, especially in a 2 door when I'm in the back seat... I'm okay if I can get out the right hand side, but the left hand side is different .... as I stroked on that side and find that I need a boot up the bottom or a tug to say the least! I also have trouble with getting in and out of taxi's that are meant to be for the disabled. Getting off a settee or low chair, I have the same problem .. not so much with the pain, but no strength. I sometimes feel that I've encountered my geriatric years, about 20 years in advance!

I've recently been diagnosed as having Osteoarthritis and am now on Calcium and Vit D tabs..... so, it's always worth having a chat to your GP and having a few blood tests to rule out other causes, rather than just putting it down to the SAH.

Know what you mean about the age thing Karen, I often think I have advanced in age too.But I do experience alot of pain in my lower back and that stops me in my tracks so to speak, especially when getting up after sittingit takes my breath..

Lynne I didn't have a lumber puncture but am convinced the pain is a restult of my SAH even though I have had it checked heaps.

Although the doctor says it is nothing to do it,and one possible explanation which I considered was that up until my SAH I had an office job where I was sitting infront of a computer all day, as a result I wasn't using my lower back and my posture was bad for along time. In turn created the problem.Hence the excersises

you are soooooooooooooooo right.

I have no back pains or general back trouble APART from rising from a seated postion when I now need five stumbling steps before the base of my spine wants to get in line and function. Once up, I'm fine.

perhaps it's a group halucination?

I too ahve difficulty getting up from sittinf especailly in our squishy sofa, it takes several heaves & sometimes I have to get Ian to give me a hand up! I find some problems getting out of the car too as my left leg isn't as fllexible as it used to be & doesn't move as well as the right.

• 3 years later...

ladies it seems that you are getting somewhat older lol and arthritis is setting in I think its because of the blood dispersing in the spinal cord leaves possible lesions stressing the nerves and weakening the framework and yes Karen arthritis does catch us all sooner rather than later and as a phyiso would say your posture is all wrong hmm! tongue in cheek lol

Hi SJ

Welcome to BTG.

It was interesting to read one of my old posts - I'd forgotten that I was complaining about back trouble at that time.

Sorry to say, but my back is still sore; but I did have a baby in August and I found childbirth traumatic.

I've had a lot of procedures on my lower back. I've had numerous lumber punctures after my SAH owing to hydrocephalus. Epidurals in labour are given in the same spot and my first epidural was botched, leading to a second one being necessary. A few days after this, I developed what's called an 'epidural headache' and needed what's called a blood patch. This meant injecting some of my blood into the site where the epidural had been.

In April, I received a further lumber puncture and the doctor explained that he needed to push harder than usual because the site had been interfered with so much that parts had hardened.

So, all in all, a lot has got on there and I am still struggling with back pain. It still takes a few steps for me to straighten up after sitting down.

Paul correctly points out that we are getting older too!

I continue to do pilates and have started yoga this year, which I think helps, but the problem is still there.

L xx

I have been nursing a low back ache for about a month or a little longer. No one seems to want to do an xray etc just telling me to ice it etc.. they are telling me it is due to my Fibro but I have never had a back ache like this for so long.

I am getting massages, trying not to lift or lift and turn at same time. Stretching on exercise ball at night and massages.

Lin, I am sure all those procedures have cause some issues. Wow. Cannot imagine!! Good luck girl.

Maryb

I had SAH op in 2009 and lower back pain still stops me walking, hospital and Team that did home visits said I would never walk, I now walk like Mrs O hence the pic I chose.

I am bent over in pain and my Doc said he would look into it that was last year so got appointment for 2nd September 2013 tut tut !!

I had acupuncture it helped a little, was thinking of getting a belt of some kind xxL lol

Lets know how you all get on xx

I get lower back pain as well and as originally described like getting up from a chair. I went to the doctor and it is NOT arthritis in me.

Personally, I have discovered that mine tends to get worse if my hamstrings are tight and do any bending at all. I bought a roller to roll them out and it helps me at times.

What I find hard is if and when I should take an otc pain killer. My pain is sometimes short lived and sometimes all day, it is hard to know if it will let up on its own and I don't like pills in general.

I also get pain in my hips and left side. I used to get it in my knees and quads, but that is now totally gone! I wouldn't have believed it would ever go, but it did. Yeah. So, I think maybe the back and hip pain might go as well one day...who knows. I'll live it out either way.

~Kris

• 3 years later...

Hi

On the back topic. Since my perimesencephalic sah I can't stand for long if I lean forward it helps but I'm finding I need to lie on my side to relieve pain.

I already have spinal stenosis due to numerous discs herniated but since November I'm housebound or if I do go out it's in a wheelchair. I see a rehab physio who is doing gentle exercises for my frozen shoulders again caused by arthritis.

She has told me to use a wheelchair and just stand up occasionally to stretch as I was on a mission to lose weight and tried walking with my 4 wheeled rollator that has a seat on it. All that achieved was pain and fatigue for a week or two.

My GP is asking for a follow up to ask why this is happening with a neurologist as I haven't seen one yet. The hospital I was admitted to didn't have a neurology department so they liassed with one but unfortunately even the neurology team hadn't seen this type of sah before.

The joys 

Wendy 

Hi Wendy,

I was told I'd never walk again, few yards then pain in back was so bad, I can now walk tops 250 yards on a good day, on a bad day 60 yards.

But I feel like if a supermarket was empty I could walk halfway round but I have to take wheelchair as I get tutted at !!

Ever wanted to hit a shopper lol. as one woman said you and your bl**dy wheelchairs.  but then I couldn't stand but felt like Grrr = angry.

It is a long haul but you will get there eventually, look I am supposed to be chair bound according to the Brain injury team (BIT)

We can prove them wrong, so never give up and take little steps then a few more and do not rush it.

Meet you over my recreation field and the first to walk a 100 yards wins  xx

Good luck with back

Win  xx

• 1 year later...
On 2 August 2010 at 15:21, Lin-lin said:

Has anyone suffered with pain in their lower back post SAH?

My friends were laughing (affectionately) at me yesterday when they saw me trying to stand up from a seating position. I reminded them of the famous evolution picture and it would take me a few meters before I could walk upright!

I'm sure I read on the Brain and Spine foundation that there may be a medical reason for this, something to do with spinal fluid; but I'm eight months into recovery and thought it would clear up. I had around seven lumbar punctures in hospital. Could this have affected me?

Of course, it could be a lack of fitness. I used to do a lot of gym work and pilates and my core strength was very good. A painful lower back can be a result of weak abs. Would be interesting to hear your experiences.

Thanks everyone.

Lynne

Hi Lynne

I am 8 weeks into recovery from an SAH and have the most awful lower back pain and stiffness that isn't getting any better. I had a lumbar puncture (not as many as you had!) and feel this is the reason for my aching back and 'heavy feeling' in my abdomen. I accept that I haven't been left unscathed physically but I would have expected any blood residue in my spinal fluid to have gone by now? I know people will say to see my GP but they are unlikely to know the answer and just send me for more tests that I don't want.

Has anyone else suffered the same problems as me and how long might they last? I know everyone is different but it would be good to know if it is a normal part of recovery

Many thanks

Mandy aka Purple Phoenix (risen from the ashes, yet again!) xx

Hi Mandy

Yes its normal to have back pain and discomfort, it takes three months for the blood to be absorbed back into the body via the spinal tract and it can lead so some severe discomfort in the early days. 8 weeks is certainly very early to expect blood to have dissipated this soon but it does get better over time,   good luck.

Mandy, I believe that it can take up to 3 months for the blood from the brain to dissipate down the spinal cord. I was told that the blood can irritate the nerve endings in the spine. I had severe pain in my legs. 

However, your back/abdomen pain may be caused by something else which is totally unrelated to the SAH, so it's always wise to get yourself checked over and not just sit and suffer from it, if it's something that can be treated. 

Good luck and keep yourself hydrated, especially with this hot weather. x

I have back pain but I was out of it for approx. 1 year and was told "What makes you think you will walk again?"  So never give up my back stops me walking and the pain but I walk approx. 250 yards and then get in my wheelchair .  Never give in xxxx 

See the Doc like Karen says.

Wishing you all the best 

Win xxxx

The OT's gave up on me as I was a mouthy old girl who kept crying/cussing with Hydrocephalus  and their answer was to put me in a home.  Guess I was too much trouble for them lol.  But hubby and Daughter said "no way"  phew  ...xxxx Good luck Mandy 

Archived