In the first year?

Hi Donnamarie

It seems to vary from place to place;

I made an appointment for a check-up 2 months after my SAH, which I had early Feb and then I had an MRi at the end of Feb as I had mentioned some episodes of numbness & tingling in my left hand, left foot and my tongue... and had suffered severe vasospasm during my op with initial left-sided weakness.

Most coiled patients seem to have a 6th month angiogram and then one a year later if everything is okay and doesn't need any more regular checks; however I will be having my 1st angiogram on 3rd December (nearly a year after my SAH & coiling).

Not looking forward to the angio, but it has to be done... :oops:

Kel x

Hi Donna,

Yes it definitely varies. I only had one follow up chat with the neuro psychologist at 3 months and one with the surgeons assistant at 6 months. I have had regular 6 monthly ones with the opthalmologist as my eyesight has a permanent deficit now.

I do think though, that, because I accepted all that without insisting on being seen more often, It has gone against me when trying to claim benefits. I'd much rather not have to be claiming but know I have some cognitive problems which, I now need to have verified for my appeal cases. So now I have had to request appointments.

I now think, the more you get to see them the better.

Good luck.

Sally xx

Hi Donna

I agree with the others - it does seem to depend on where you live. In total since my brain hem and including the initial one to diagnose, I have had a total of 2 MRIs but only 1 angiogram (initial diagnosis). I was discharged 18 months after the SAH and told I no longer needed follow up appointments or scans.

it must have something to do with the area we are from im only six months on and since havng the coiling done ive had 1mri(may) 1 anniogram(august)& 1 appointment my consultant(september) and now have a date for another MRI in december. allso the consultant want to see me in jan. im not complanig it just feel like they think something not right but they wont tell me what !!!! has anyone else had this many ????

10 years on. I had 4 angiograms and yearly check ups for the first 5 years. Then yearly checks for the next 3 years and now a yearly letter to check how I'm progressing. My GP also checks my blood pressure etc on a yearly basis. I'm also part of the ISAT programme so receive yearly letters concerning my progress from them.Ten years on I still feel concerned about symptoms i.e. migranesque auras, headaches; poor memory and no memories prior to my SAH in 2001; no dreaming;general fatigue HOWEVER I do think that the NHS generally has treated me very well.

Hi Donna,

I think the amount of scans etc, depends on the individuals circumstances and it can only be reasurring to know they are checking you regularly. Hopefully when you see your consultant in January, you will be given a clear indication of how everything is.

I had my second anniversary last Monday and during that time I have had 1 angio, 1 CT scan,

1 MRI scan and an ultra sound scan on my stomach! These were in addition to the 1 CT and 1 angio that I had initially. I think my next MRI is due August next year, a year from the last one.

Whilst I don't like any of them, at least the angio revealed I needed more coiling and they are also monitoring another aneursym that I have, so I guess in my case I need them all!

I wouldn't have thought they would be keeping anything from you so try not to worry.

Sarah

Hi all hope you are keeping well.

I was just wondering after coming out of the hospital how many scans,appointments or anniograms did you have in the first year ???

Hi donnamarie

Here's my experience so far. First MRI after six months followed by angio at 12 months. This was then followed by a further coiling operation, therefore, the doctors are keeping an eye on you for a reason. MRI at six months following this further coiling operation and now they do not wish to see me for eighteen months. So I am guessing that I am well and truly fixed now.

Hope this helps. I've never had an appointment to see my consultant, which was probably the most frustrating thing. I had an endless list of questions. Thank goodness for BTG where I gathered most of my information.

Lorraine

Hi Lorriane, I managed to get an appointment with the Neuro consultants via the PALS (Patient Advisory Liaison Service) at the hospital - I searched online and found their email address. I don't like to wait around! I wanted to know exactly when my appointment would be so that I could prepare all info and questions for it.

I didn't actually get to see the consultant when I got there though, I saw one if his assistants, which was a little annoying, as it would have been nice to have met the person who operated on me... but I did get a chance to ask questions.

Kel

Hi

I had my SAH in Oct 2004. I had an angio in May 2005 and again in Oct 2005. I then had yearly angios up to and including 2008. I had MRI in 2009 & 2010 and have now been told I don't need a further MRI for three years.

With regards to appointments, I saw my consultant in April 2005 then June 2005 when he agreed I could return to work. Since then I think I've only had two appointments to see him. One of those was at my request when I started getting an electric shock type feeling across my head and I wanted it checking out.

Kim

X