Headaches (again)

Hi Donna,

I've been really lucky there. I've only had five headaches in the full 17 months since leaving the hospital. I've tried aspirin, paracetamol and ibuprofen for them and find the latter works best. Hope you get rid of them for good real soon.

Sally x

I'm the same as Sally, dont really get headaches any more. I'm three months into my SAH and I get pin point pains in my head like a burning sensation but it only lasts for a couple of seconds and a strange sensation like water running over my brain.

If you are in ant way concerned about your headaches go and see your doctor or try and get an appointment with your consultant.

Drinking plenty of fluids will also help.

Hi Donna,

It's not uncommon to suffer more headaches post SAH than before. I still get a lot of headaches at over 5 years on and some nerve pain around my eye due to the nerve palsy. I can't remember when you had your SAH, but have a feeling that it was fairly recent. I take a combination of 1 paracetamol and 1 Ibuprofen if the pain is persistent or if it's just a dull ache, I take a couple of paracetamol and that will keep it at bay.

I was offered medication for the nerve pain, but I refused it. As Kelvin has said, keep your fluids up and if you're drinking a lot of coffee, which is a diuretic due to the caffeine, then reduce the amount or try de-caff ... even though you may experience a re-bound headache when you stop! I haven't been able to drink coffee for quite a few years and don't really miss it now, even though I used to be a coffee fiend!

There are quite a lot of reasons as to why you may be experiencing a headache, so I can only suggest that you speak to your Doctor and have a chat with him or her, as to what you can do to help. xx

Hi

Im the same as Kelvin have odd pains now and then sometimes like a pulsing but quick pain.Ive had the water like feeling, like tickling feeling.

Did have a sudden week of bad headaches 3 months after wasnt having any headaches then bam week of them. Went back in hospital but everything was all clear, saying it is due to anxiety. Seems fine now.

Hope they clear soon for you

Tracy S xx

I do get headaches particularly when tired but they are niggly rather than painful. I take paracetamol or ibuprofen & sometimes both together & that normally sorts it out. If it's worse than that I woul def go & see your GP.

I do get eye pain (Liek Karen) & sometimes it's just achey & other tmes its stinging & others throbbing but not hugly painful. I also suffer with skull tenderness/tingling/ pressure like feling/ itchy scalp but that is really minor & just irritating!

Hi Donna,

I still get constant headaches over 2 yrs later. Most days they are mild but I have regular major headaches (although not as major as the SAH one!). I find being tired, upset or stressed are triggers but do go to my doctor when they are really bad and angios have been fine so far. Just unlucky I think.

Hope they improve for you soon xx

Hi Donna,

I'm with Kelvz48, don't really get headaches just funny fuzzies. Most of the time it's just a feeling that i've got used too but every now and again I have a ten minute "turn".

I had headaches for about a month after my op, so two months after my SAH but i don't know what your problem was. Mine wasn't a anni, so it may be different.

Stick with it, by the sound of it you are very early in recovery.

Hiya Donna,

I had my SAH in JUne this year, i suffer with headaches most days and ive been bk to the neuro aand docs. They seem to think it is just my recovery as ive had further ct scan because of the headaches and all is clear. I did'nt have an anni , si i dont know if that makes a diffrents. I get that water running feeling in my head to but also in the face , my face goes numb some days too. I get burning in the head to.

Hopfully this will improve very soon for the both of us , take care drink plenty.

Take care Rhiann xxx

Donna I still get headaches now but if I take 2 annadin liquid tablets they go for the rest of the day. However go to your drs to put your mind at rest and check that any medication that we are on that you want to try is suitable for you. Jess.xxx

PS hope they ease soon.

I was told that because of my SAH I would always be more prone to headaches, which I am! although I rarely get the really bad ones I suffered from before my SAH. I find that getting overtired makes them worse, so rest, lots of fluids and two paracetomol do it for me :)

Vivien

I don't get real headaches at all since SAH but have been left with constant nerve pain which is most likely a trapped nerve somewhere within the op site. I use paracetomol and Amitryptiline for the nerve pain in a low dose.

What is the difference between headaches and nerve pain?? I was put on that tablet also but was taken off it due to heart problems .

Hi Donna,

The difference between nerve pain and headache? I can only answer for myself, but my headaches are a general ache and affect my entire head. The nerve pain that I get, is specific to and around my eye, where I had the nerve palsy during the bleed and is different to the normal headache that I experience. xx

The following website may be of help to people that have recently had a SAH: http://www.suht.nhs.uk/OurServices/Nervoussystem/SAHSubArachnoidHaemorrhage/RecoveryAdvice.aspx

Hi Donna,

I Suffer with what the GP's say is Thunder Clap Headaches, They Come on so Fast and really Bring you right Down Feels like some one is Pushing your Eye out from the inside :(

When I 1st had my TIA I thought every headache was it all over again and 1 GP told me it was Migraine, But It wasn't like others had discribed.

They're Horrid thing these Headaches and I Hope they go for you.

I Can't take Ibu thingy so I take Paramol Seems to lighten it a little.

Hi Donna

As Karen has said the nerve pain I suffer with is all located on the left side of my head mainly by the operation site but when the pain is at its worse it affects the whole of the left side of my head face and neck. Like Karen I also get pain around my left eye from the third nerve palsy.