Heredity?

Hello, I am new but I have been browsing. This Fourm looks great and it's nice to see support given to everyone. Also apologies for spelling and grammar, I'm on my iPhone and it's difficult lol

I lost my mother on the 19th of December 2010, she was my best friend in the whole world and losing her is the worst pain I've ever felt. Considering she was only 49 when she died, and that I'm only 19 too. She died from a subranoid haemorrhage.

Now my mums mum died when my mum was 17 from a brain haemorrhage too, now I dont know what kind but I know she did. Then my mother suffered from a haemorrhage when she was 23, luckily survived and that was that.

Obviously it wasn't because she died, and losing her hurts so much but also knowing that I might leave my children with this pain too just doesn't leave me well. In fact it's putting me off having kids.

I just need to know what I need to do, if anyone has any family history like mine too. I just miss my mum, and she was normally the person I turned too.

Thanks in advance (sorry if this is not in the right place)

Edited by Amelia

Sweetie I am so sorry for your loss, life is just so unfair sometimes. With the family history you provide it's not surprising that you have concerns and probably lots of questions. The place you need to go is the doctor to be sure of your own medical situation. You will find lots of support from us here, it's a great and safe place to share your feelings.

your heart must be broken right now

Hugs to you

Sandi K. Xoxoxox

Hello and welcome to BTG i hope you find the answer that you are looking for.

Im really sorry to hear about your loss. i lost my mum when i was 11 and it was one of the hardest things to get through but i did et through it and soon you will beable to think about her and not cry this wil take time but always think of all the great times you shared.

If i was you i would go to my GP and see what they think about it been heredity i would push to get scanned to put your own mind at rest if your worried

my thoughts and prayers are with you and if you ever what to chat you can PM me

take care

Donna

hi Amelia

welcome to behind the gray im sorry about mum and yes i know how you feel been there and my thoughts are with you its still early trying to come to terms with mums passing you will never forget or lose the pain you feel now but the sharpness will fade over time but mum will always be with you in kind remember the good times and smile at the silly things you did together

with the history you have given you should go to your gp and ask for a scan to put your mind at rest as your only 19 nothing may show up but if the gp is aware of your history he may very well put you on an observation watch so over time he can recall you for a check up scan if he can refer you to a neurosurgeon even better there may be nothing to worry about but your peace of mind is paramount i hope you enjoy the site and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask we are here for you take care hugs and cuddles

Hi Amelia,

I'm so glad you have joined us here and have had the courage to raise your concerns at such a sad time. I'm really sorry you have had the heartache of losing your Mum and hope you have lots of support to help you through this difficult time.

As others have said, if you have a chat with your GP, when you feel up to it, I'm sure it will help with the questions and concerns you have.

I do admire you for posting this on here and by doing so will have actually helped others by raising the subject. I, too am 49 and whilst I was very fortunate to survive a sah, I have an 18 yr old son who I don't think has even thought about this, despite my own grandad dying from one. I did mention this to my consultant briefly, but now think I too will be asking a few more questions when I next see him, so thank you.

A warm welcome to BTG and sending you a big hug. Don't forget there is always a lot of support on here and a lot of good ears to listen or shoulders to cry on!

Take care,

Sarah

Hi there

And a very warm welcome to the site.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Mum, having went through that pain I know just what its like.

I would go to your GP and see about being scanned yourself if nothing else it will put your mind at ease a bit.

Can I also sugges Cruse Bereavement, they are very good and it would give you someone to speak with face to face, I can really recommend them.

Take care

Hi Amelia,

So very sorry for your loss and I can only echo what everyone else has said. Talk to your GP and ask if there's the posibility you could be scanned. Were your mother's and grandmother's SAH caused by an aneursym do you know? Anyhow, I would ask, if not demand, a scan bearing in mind what's happened to your mum and grandma.

Stay brave and strong hun - we're all here for you, even if you just need to share a memory.

Not sure about my grandmother, as my mother never really talked about it. But my mums was a cerebal artery aneurysm.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support :) It has been great reading through them. I have been a bit unwell over the weekend, headaches and just being a bit under the weather.

So i saw my GP today, she told me i have anxiety problems but has referred me to a neurologist in Liverpool. So ill definitly get the answers i need.

Edited by Skippy
removed quote

Amelia, so sorry for the loss of your mom. I was 20 when my mom passed, know how you're feeling! Will be thinking of you and sending you big cyber hugs!

As the others have said, do talk to your GP about being scanned. My neurologist said my kids (26 & 24) should be scanned to be on the safe side. I'm sure this is a scary time for you and hope you get some answers as to the best steps you should take.

Take care, love, and do come here often for any support you may need. That's what we're here for.

With love,

carolyn

Hi Amelia

So sorry to hear about your mum.

I am glad you are being referred to a neurologist to discuss your concerns and I would imagine they should do a scan to check, with the family medical history you can present.

Keep us updated.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Kel x

Thanks Kel,

Yeah it was great getting the right help today, hearing her say the words "Ill refer you to a neurologist" made my mind ease. Just need something to help me to get through this utter shock.

Ill keep you all updated.

Edited by Skippy
removed quote

Oh Amelia - I've just posted on the other thread but now I see what the history is behind your loss, and that's enough to freak anyone out! My neurosurgeon told my daughter that she was not at risk, but if she had had two direct relatives with aneurysms then she would be offered screening (my grandmother died of a haemorrhage, but that's not to say mine was hereditary....).

I am glad you are getting referred. I would not be surprised if your symptoms were indeed due to anxiety, with what you've been through, but it would be nice to get it checked out. If you were to be diagnosed with an aneurysm, then you would be able to discuss it with the right people and choose treatment. As you can see on here, lots of people get their aneurysms coiled (that wasn't an option for me, I had to have a craniotomy) nowadays and that is much less invasive. Whatever - we are not there yet!! Let's be positive, eh?

Anyway, as I said before, glad you found us and don't hesitate to vent on here if you need to. You are not alone.

Hugs x

I know aneurysms are more than often just what happens to people not always hereditary. My mum even thought it was pure coincidence that her mother died of one and then my mum had one a few years apart. Every doctor thought the same, but it must be one of those things.

If your daughter has to have to have two close relatives, doesnt your grandmother count then? Because it would be my grandmother and mother to be taken into consideration.

Thanks for your kind words.

Edited by Skippy

Hi Amelia

I'm so sorry for your loss at such a young age. I was 49 when I had my SAH but I am one of the lucky that survived.

My dad's father died from a cerebral haemorrhage. Two cousins on that side of the family have also had ruputred aneurysms. One cousin survived two aneurysms but sadly her sister died. She was 52 and left behind 3 children. I have 3 children who are 24, 22 and 19. They were very scared when it happend to me and discovered the family link. However, the cousin that survived has an only daughter and she has been scanned twice and is clear. They live in Canada and my cousin's daughter will be scanned every 5 years. But she's now 45 and clear and aneurysms can take many many years to develop so she doesn't worry about it anymore. My youngest sister has been scanned and she's clear. My children will be offered scans when they reach the age of 30.

Can I also suggest that you contact Cruse Bereavement, they are a wonderful organisation. They helped my mother cope with my father's sudden death and my youngest sister got a lot of support from them at that time. It's really good that your GP has taken on board your concerns and have referred you to a neurologist. I'm sure he will give you all the information you need. Remember that you also inherit genes from your father's side and that brain aneurysms that rupture are very rare.

Take care.

oh gosh that sounds terrifying, the entire family suffering from them.

Can i ask, why were your children offered scans when they reach 30? nothing before?

what can cruse do for me? i have been given their number so i might give them a go.

yeah my mum always thought that i wont inherit her aneurysms due to being so like my dad. I have his blood type, his mannerisms, and i even look like him. But perhaps the one thing i have inherited of my mum is this, which just frightens me. But ill talk to the neurologist, he/she will be able to definitly say for sure.

Edited by Skippy
removed quote

Hi Amelia

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of your mum. I lost my mum too though she was 78 when she had a SAH. My maternal grandmother also died from a SAH when she was in her mid 40s and I had a SAH when I was 44. My mum lived in Northern Ireland and I live in Edinburgh so I have a different GP who doesn't know my family and their background so neither of us made the connection prior to my taking ill.

I don't mean to worry you with my email as the chances of having a hereditary aneurysm seem to be very remote. I think tho if there is anything positive to be got from your experience, it's that you are being sent to a neurologist who'll be able to reassure you.

Let us know how you get on.

With warm wishes

Anne x