Follow up appointments - Unbelievable!

Hi All

Just a little story. Last year I had a follow up appointment with the neuro on Thursday 9th September 2010 for the result of my scan. At about 2pm the day before I received a telephone call from the hospital that my appointment was cancelled as my consultant had to go to a meeting.This appointment was re-arranged for Thursday 10th February 2011 a further five months. On that day I received my next appointment for Thursday 8th September 2011 for the result of my next scan which I had in August 2011.

UNBELIEVABLY

Yesterday Wednesday 7th September 2011 at 2pm I received a phone call from the hospital that this appointment has been cancelled because my consultant had to go to a meeting and I was told that my next appointment wouldn't probably be until December 2011. As you probably realise I went ballistic and have conacted the complaints manager at the hospital.

TWO QUESTIONS

1. Is it not strange that both appointments were cancelled exactly a year apart to the day at the same time with the same excuse.

2. Why could I not see another doctor in the team as I have always done in the past (I have never been seen by the consultant since my coiling so why should his meeting affect my appointment).

I was stressed out before this so you can imagine how I feel now. At least I've got it offf my chest by burdening you all with the story ( Oh how I wish it was just a story!!!)

Comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

John

Hi John

This is totally unacceptable - I'd be firing your questions at the hospital too - it's outrageous that they can do this to you yet again. Play up merry hell with them John and take your complaint as far and high as you can.

Everything crossed that you get this appointment - good luck.

Hi John

This is truly awful!

There will be a complaints procedure within your NHS Trust and there will be set guidelines as to how and how long it should take to be resolved.

However, find out your MP's email address and email him (or if he has surgery due and you can get there go and speak with him/her). He/she will contact the Chief Executive of your Trust, on your behalf, for answers. Things have a habit of moving very fast (at least it does in the Trust I work for) when MPs get involved. This guy needs a bit of a wake up call!!!!

Hi John,

I read your mail and got myself angry..lol...deep breath WinB phew that's better lol

Nothing worse than being let down....Give vent to feelings and then say a few swear words...then as I was told by Karen

when I was let down by physios not turning up....get it out of your system by giving vent on here ..then let it go .

But always have the last word John do not let them get to you. .Ready Breath in (xyz let me down Cheek ! lots swear words) breath out

Now laugh and smile

Regards

WinB143 x

John, I would be so angry and frustrated and disappointed! It's so inconsiderate and thoughtless and unprofessional! You should be treated respectfully and you have already been accommodating enough. You have every right to complain to the hospital and hopefully you will be assigned to another doctor who is more organized.

Sandi K.

Thats horrendous treatment. They must realise how worried you already are about getting your results, without cancelling your appt the day before! Then making you wait that long - it is unacceptable and i agree you need to complain. The consultants have many people working for them, and i'm sure at least one would be capable of meeting with you and discussing the results. It does seem strange that the meetings take place same time think a new appointment organiser required!!

Hope it all gets sorted out soon.

Juliette xx

RESULT

As a result of e mailing and talking to the Concerns Manager she contacted the neuros secretary who told me my appointment would now be in December 2011. I again made my views known and lo and behold the registrar rang me and gave me the result over the phone which was relatively good so at least my mind has been put to rest for now.

It does seem so unfair that all those with appointments after me now take over and I go back to the end but thats the way it goes. The Concerns Manager(never heard of that job before ) assures me she will be looking into this.

Cheers

John

John,

Glad they got back to you, now you can relax ...We do not need stress..My surgeon said do not get stressed out....and then

you get people who let you down grrrrrrrrrrrrr..............ie in my case as I said no one turns up when they promised. to grrrrr....

Be Happy John...Good luck hope your results were ok and smile

Regards

WinB143

I'm glad for you that the registrar gave you results over the phone! Hopefully your complaints will be looked into and taken very seriously. It's hard enough dealing with our own issues and then to have to chase dr.s, appts, down to get things right. Good for you for continuing on with it!!! Maybe you'll get a call for a re-scheduled appt. sooner than December! Hang in there - keeping you in my thoughts for all good :biggrin:

Carolyn