after a SAH

I had taste distortions for many months where what I was eating (even if it was sweet food) would suddenly taste like either salt or fish yuk! In general, nothing tasted like I remembered it tasting for a very long time. Either everything is back to normal now or I have become used to the changes. If I am overdoing things, I will get a metallic taste in my mouth that doesn't go away until I go to bed. And my likes and dislikes have changed massively, it's weird!

Hi I also experienced taste changes after my SAH. I really want sweet food, now, and savoury food tends to taste yuk. I also seem to like well-seasoned food, no more bland purees for me. I also want to eat food that's bad for me now; I seem to feel that if I could have an SAH when I was taking care of myself, why bother now? although I know that this doesn't make sense.

One thing that has helped is changing my toothpaste to a one for dry mouth - ask the chemist. they should know.

I am also really sensitive to some foods and over-eating tends to nausea, very annoying. I am much clumsier that I used to be.

I have found I have very limited tolerance of alcohol after my SAH. I can't tolerate red wine at all but I can drink the odd glass of white wine. I find this works better if I match sip for sip with water, and drink at least as much water as white wine. But I am still wobbly when I stand up, although not drunk.

I had BAD sweets cravings. One of the things I ate almost every day for the first few months was Peeps. I don't know why.

I do know that one of the headache medications I was put on (Topamax) made everything taste horrible, especially soda (you can't taste the carbonation but you can feel it--really strange). The worst part is that it made coffee taste bad and my blood is half coffee. It was horrible (although I did lose 7 pounds while I was on it because I didn't want to eat). (Un)fortunately my next medication made me regain all of that within a week, plus 4 more pounds.

Hi Rabbit and others

I too now feel very clumsy especially when I'm out. I feel I'm fumbling about like an old women and I have to hold on to all the rails when I'm on a bus or train and am just a lot slower than I was. I know it's still early days (3 moths) but I feel I should be pushing myself so I can get back to normal.

Liz

For a little while I had yohgurt tasting like butter and all crisps had lost their crunch!

Had to keep getting people to try them.

Tolerance to alcohol is still much much lower, but quite enjoyable. I've turned into a cheap date!