Why Water?

I've read lots of posts on here and I've noticed so many suggestions to drink lots of water. This is the first I've heard or read about drinking water. I'm just wondering why drink water? What does it do to help? 

I used to drink so much water, but after having chronic pancreatitis I hardly drink anything. I have to force myself to just get 20 ounces of any fluids down in 24 hours. 

thanks,

Hi there

It keeps the body and brain hydrated and in turn helps the brain to heal.  Dehydration makes headaches worse or can actually bring them on in the first place.  2 - 3 litres throughout the day is recommended by most health professionals anyway - so it's especially helpful to us.

Bet my brain looked like a pickled walnut when they saw it as I liked my vino.   Now me and hubby do not drink, well a weak

Bucks Fizz  more lemonade than anything else.

I do not miss it though.  she lies through teeth !! ha ha.

3 bottles of water for Christmas Day sob sob xx

Be Well All

WinB143 xx xx

• Like 1

Good morning!  I've wondered about the water thing too.  Nobody told me to drink it but I see it here all the time.  While in the hospital they kept a full cup of glass water on my table at all times and rushed to refill when it got low but never mentioned why.  Like you, Poni, I'm not hot on drinking tons of water all day long.  I'm a coffee girl, though.  Hope that counts.  Win, I will laugh all day thinking about your brain looking like a pickled walnut.  

Thanks for bringing this question up Poni!  Have a good day all.  

Carolynusa

• Like 1

You will get a fair amount of water from other sources such as food....vegetables, salad, milk ... etc

I would also say, that with any tablets that you take, drink a good glass of water with them and from what I've been told, it gets into the system quicker .... especially with painkillers. I have a Husband that still swallows them dry and then wonders why they're not getting into his system faster and taking the pain away.

Carolyn, unfortunately Coffee can dehydrate you .. it probably depends on how much of it you drink .... there seems to be mixed opinion on the effect of caffeine.  I've only just started back on coffee, just one a day and it gives me a bit of a kick start.

I have found that drinking a glass of water before bed time does help.

It's a bit of a fine balancing act, as too much water can also affect your sodium levels .... so, you need to be careful and just make sure that you're hydrated.

When I was in hospital I asked about the water and why drinking it was so important and one of the team explained that although they aren't entirely sure how it all works that the CSF fluid that bathes our brains and got contaminated with blood in the SAH is absorbed via the ventricles and replaced a few times every day and so making sure you don't dehydrate is really important to help the brain keep that process steady especially in the earliest days. When I had the extra ventricular drain you could see that how much fluid came off the brain was impacted by the drinking of water, the more I took in the more fluid that was produced therefore draining off as my ventricles didn't work so well.

If you think about it post a hangover we feel dreadful and we all know that drinking water and sugary energy drinks helped and there is some scientific thought is that it's all connected to alcohol affecting CSF absorption. I got really interested in how it all might work and my personal theory is drinking the water and staying hydrated helps the process of keeping our CSF production and absorption regular and in doing that any tiny particles of blood that may be left sitting in places will eventually disperse. Just a theory though. Sure there is probably a study somewhere that proves or disproves!

• Like 1

Thanks you guys for the info!  It sure beat trying to scan tons of material to get an answer.  I knew about hydration but no more than that.  I try to drink more water but it's hard for me.  I will try harder thanks to our scientist, Daffs...except I wouldn't have a clue about a hangover! lol...seriously though.  :)

Be well all and don't overdo yourselves for the holiday.  

Love, Carolyn

• Like 1

Caffeine is a stimulant so it will help sometimes if you're in a fog.  It also dehydrates so every cup of coffee deserves an extra glass of water or herbal tea.  Regular tea also dehydrates so the same guidelines apply.  I cut out all caffeine after my SAH and really didn't have many headaches unless I over did things, but I drank many cups of water and herbal teas as well.

~Kris

• 4 weeks later...

I was also told to drink plenty of water leaving the hospital.  Unfortunately the day after I returned I was back in the ER with massive headache and thought I was having another SAH (not a fun Xmas morning) :( .  Turns out it was a combination of dehydration and withdrawal from all the drugs I was given while in the ICU.  The ER Doctors explained to me that the blood vessels restrict when you become dehydrated and decreases blood flow. This can bring on or increase the intensity of headaches. That's just what I was told. 

I  don't have a problem drinking plenty of water throughout the day and always have a water bottle with me.  Coconut water is also a great substitute for hydrating the body and filled with plenty of natural goodness.  When I get bored with water I switch to that.

• Like 1

Caffeine dehydrates, but coffee does not as there is WAY more water than caffeine in coffee. However, caffeine can cause headaches so imbibe with care. Darker roasts have less caffeine and more flavor. I really like an espresso roast with a little frothed  half and half in the morning and one in the afternoon.