Vertigo

I would like some advice from anyone else who has suffered vertigo. I had my SAH 2 1/2 years ago. I have made a good recovery I think! I get tired my brain is terrible at times but other wise I a, very lucky. Still terrible on the iPad! Keep forgetting how to find my way about.

Last Thursday I had just done a birthday supper for my Granchildren. The room was quite hot, but I collapsed on to the floor, hardly any warning. Poor husband and daughter had to drag me into the hall, for fresh air. When I came round I felt very tight across my chest, but that has gone. On Friday I felt very dizzy, but was still able to keep going, fed the sheep and ponies in a bit of a blurr. Saturday went to a carriage driving competition, but could only drive round the school before having to get off, leaving my grandaugter to take over my pony! I was so dizzy I could only sit and watch.

Sunday I did very little and felt much better, but today I am dizzy again because I have been trying to work. Terrified of the dr as I lost my driving license for year and then had to a 3 hour test before they would let me have my license back. I am not stupid and would never drive if I was dizzy. Any advice. Very frustrated OAP Jill

I still suffer from extreme dizziness and balance issues nearly 11 years down the line. So much so that I am not allowed to drive.

If you felt very tight across your chest I suggest that you seek medical attention as a matter of urgency as it could be a sign of heart problems. In the run up to my heart attack in 2013 I was struggling to do anything without the dizziness getting much worse and feeling as though I was going to faint.

Please get yourself checked out as it may be totally unrelated to your SAH and much better safe than sorry.

• Like 3

Any tightness in the chest I would get checked like super Mario says xxx

Dizziness I still suffer that 13yrs on I just drink plenty of water and heat is terrible I get dizzier the hotter it gets xxx

Hope you are better soon xxx

Hi Jill.  I agree with the above posts.  If you are suddenly experiencing multiple dizzy spells and feel tightness in chest I would have a doc check you out.  You didn't mention if you are on any medications that might cause those side effects?  Please check with your doc as you have done such a great job healing - you want to keep it going!

Be well Jill

Carolynusa

Jill, I know that you're terrified of losing your license but you must really go and get yourself checked over by the GP.... any tightness across the chest along with your other symptoms needs to be investigated. Please don't take any risks Jill. xx

Thank you every one, my chest seems much better, I have booked to take my Mother away for 2 days to the west Wales and will be staying in a hotel. My son is coming to help am hoping that having nothing to do will help. I was probably over doing it, as you all say, if we try to push our luck we get pulled up with a real jolt. Have just come down stairs and feel ok, just hoping when I go out side the vertigo does not start again. It did unfortunately yesterday.

Thank you for your support, very difficult to say any thing at home, but hubby knew as he helped with the house work. Love Jill

Jill glad you are feeling better and you must be in good shape to do the pony driving with you granddaughter but please like the other members say just go get yourself checked over we all have fuzzy and balance moments but a collapse like you describe should be given a little more attention.

I had to have a few heart check ups after increased dizzy spells whilst they got my bp medication settled and like you I lost my license for over 13 months post SAH which worried me but there was never any mention about driving and if I had experienced what you describe I'd be back getting it checked out to be honest as there can be some very simple explanations like medication levels need changing or even anxiety brought on from fear.

• Like 1

Jill,

Glad you are feeling better, but please go to the doctor's anyway and get checked out.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Look on it the way you would your car, putting it in for a service, to make sure it doesn't let you down when the bad weather comes.

You will also put your mind at rest, as from what you say and the way you are saying it, I think you are in turmoil right now and are putting your head in the sand  - ostrich style!

The very hardest thing after SAH and any problems we have is to admit to ourselves that we have a problem and then after we go to the doctor's we say "Now why didn't I do that before - there was nothing to it?"

Going to the doctors is a small price to pay for peace of mind, not just for you but for those around you.

Good luck,

Macca

• Like 1

Everyone is saying what I am thinking as well.  Dizziness can be a warning sign of heart issues, so don't just chalk the vertigo up to the SAH you had because you've just had tightness across your chest as well as tiredness.  It can be confusing because the SAH also causes fatigue and dizziness.  It is just all around better to go in and get it checked.  

Also, the reason for getting your license taken away is so that you don't injure yourself or others on the road.  Can you imagine if you had that bout of collapsing you described while driving?  You said that came on without warning so that could mean it could happen again and needs to be watched for a bit before you get behind the wheel.  It stinks, but it is what is right.  Most of us have not been able to drive for a time so we can empathize how you don't want this yet again.  However, better safe than sorry, right?

Take care of yourself.

~Kris

• Like 2

​It is so nice to know that others suffer from dizziness, because I do. At least now I know not to expect it to go away. My balance is pretty bad. 

I wish the USA had better control over people with a brain injury and their drivers license. When I was released my husband did inquire about me driving and they said we didn't need to report anything to DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) unless we wanted to!! Same with my brother-in-law and his TBI was caused by a very bad car accident and he was the only vehicle involved and it was never determined why or what caused the accident. He has epilipsy and I would think that could have caused the accident if he started having a seizure while driving. Yet he never had to check in with DMV!!! 

Jillbb- let us know when you go to the docs to have the chest issue checked out. If it is something like high blood pressure you need to get on medication as soon as you can. High BP is nothing to mess around with and it can be kept under control easily with meds.

Best of luck!!