Travel Worries

I have read some about travel worries here...it is a real concern for me...every time I go too far away from the hospital that treated me I am wrestling with worrisome thoughts..  

My one year comes at the end of April and I did travel to South America in September.  Crazy as that sounds for someone worrying about traveling.  We had already booked a family trip and disappointing my family weighed in more heavily than the trip.  

My doctor's said have a good time...so...I did it.  I didn't think about it too much when I was away (so busy) and thought this is good I did it...I overcame my fear, but not really.  

I am again ready to book a trip out of the country and very fearful again...I am hoping I conquer this as we love to travel, I get good insurance and I want to live my best life.  I don't think anyone close to me realizes how I dread the thoughts of being away from the place that saved my life...  

The funny thing is I don't think it is so much about me or if something awful happens it really is more about how horrible it will be for my family to have to deal with it away from home...

Swishy, I travel abroad several times a year, on my own. I do sometimes think about my family having to cope if anything happened to me whilst away. I always put it to the back of my mind, what will be, will be.

I have heart problems which is much more of a risk than the SAH, anything could happen at anytime out of the blue as I have learnt in the past. Luckily I have been at home at the time.

Go and enjoy the holiday and don't worry about anything. Life is too short for that, energy is much better spent enjoying yourself, not worrying. 

Hi Swishy

i understand the fear I honestly do and in fact Super Mario was my inspiration to just push through and gradually I’m spreading my wings further , shes right , you have to push on. 

like you I was worried to travel far so here’s what I did, for reassurance I created a very simple one sheet laminated medical history that I carry with me. I also have a letter from my doctor translated to the local language Explaining need to not go through the scanner...( not advised with my shunt model) 

that said first travel no one would insure me, ended up in tears after being declined for third time after long assessment, eventually found a company and that first trip insurance for me cost as much as all  our flights!  It’s come down thankfully.

Then there was dealing with the impact of the travel, noise, air pressure from flying , well I drank lots of water, slept on the plane, kept ear plugs the entire journey and we now we know try to book flight times or travel when that suit me better.

my family know that I am pretty much out of action the day after long travel and so not to worry too much but we have had a few instances where it’s all been a little worrying but I wait it out and I usually end up sat in the shaded sun , by a pool with a good book and then it’s worth it. 

Like you I used to travel a lot and was a frequent flyer and I look back nostalgically at how I took for granted the ease at which I could move continents. 

my ambition is to go transatlantic which I haven’t  done since  ...just need to build my confidence that I can do that. But I know it’s fine  it’s just like you I don’t want to scare and upset the children by becoming ill but then I need to let thst go I guess, I could just as easily get a stomach bug! .  

Reminds me need to book this years insurance...we are off to Portugal!  

Take any medication with you (with a doctor's note) in your hand luggage, get insured and go and have a great time.

I have flown all over the place since my SAH, Greece, Spain, Canaries, Ireland, Kazakhstan, Portugal, Cyprus, Turkey.

I have had no problems whatsoever, just plan what you are doing and don't overdo the alcohol, or stay in the sun too long,  rest when your body tells you that you need to, and you'll be fine!

Thanks you all so much for your wonderful words of support...I do think I will be fine...doctor thinks I will be fine .. I just need to push through it and keep reminding myself I am so lucky and I should enjoy it...Being able to come on here and actually connect with folks that know what it is like...priceless...I thank you so much ....PS I have booked my next trip for May...I did it today after I posted here... day by day I am getting there..

When did you guys get the courage up enough to travel again?  I have a hard time leaving my general area and can't even imagine getting on an airplane anytime soon.  Two weeks prior to my bleed I was in Puerto Rico and I am so thankful that it didn't happen there because I'm not sure I would have got the same care.  What about traveling to islands where there's no hospitals?  Are my dreams of visiting Bora Bora or the Maldives crushed now because of all of this?  I need to be in close proximity to a hospital just to feel ok about going anywhere.  Does this sound crazy?!

Hi there about being close to a hospital No it's not silly at all I actually moved to be closer to the hospital it was something I needed to do at that time. 

All hol8days that were took were checked for hospitals to make sure there was one close by looking back I think what drastic action that was to take but at the time it was necessary for me and my sanity xxx

I have moved again now and don't live as close to a hospital I have been to an island with no hospital it was great had a lovely time you will go on that holiday in the end but it will take time xxx

There really is no quick fix for how you are feeling but over time it will get better I take my two children on holiday alone now and we have a fantastic time every year it was hard at the start but I am so glad I did it xxx

Hope things improve for you soon xxx 

Krislwal, I flew again 1 year after the event, I visited a place in Turkey that I had been to regularly, knew the owners and knew that they would look after me if anything went wrong.

In fact I still visit this place twice a year as I am now very friendly with them and many others in the area, most of them Turkish people.

In the early years I did research medical facilities before I booked anywhere, mainly because of my heart problems. Now I don't even bother. I have been to many small islands that depend on sea transfer for medical problems plus everything else, nothing on the island at all. I never even think about it now.

I am of the opinion that what will be will be.

I might add that I always travel alone so I have no one to rely on either. There is no point in worrying about what might be.

In fact I have just booked to go to a Cape Verdi island in April and medical facilities there are very sparse. I no longer let the lack of medical facilities put me off going somewhere I really want to go.

Life is for living and enjoying not to be spent worrying about the "what ifs"

I am exactly the same at the moment my husband wants to go away for Easter and feels okay with that. I’m his wife and I’m the one who is struggling to book although I have booked to go back to Cyprus the day after his 1 year anniversary of his bleed to the same place and know the hospital facilities are excellent and the hotel where we stay also.  I google hospitals at the moment when looking to book somewhere.  I think I’m more anxious than he is so totally understand where you are coming from everyone 

There are hospital facilities on most islands these days, and where there are none they usually have links to get you to one.  The Maldives have links, Cyprus facilities are excellent.  I don't know about Bora Bora, never been but I'm sure there will be some provision.  Turkey have excellent facilities too.  I went to Kazakhstan and they have some very able people in the hospitals there but you need medical insurance.

So as long as you have insurance you should be ok in most places, unless you are going to somewhere very remote, but even then, the chances of you having a re-bleed are very, very minimal.

Another way of looking at it is that if the chances were high that you might have a re-bleed, then the insurance companies wouldn't cover you -  but they do and they wring their hands as they take your money off you because they know that the chances of them having to pay out are extremely low.

So if they offer you cover, you generally know you are ok to fly!  That's my opinion anyway!

Happy travelling!

Archived