Sudden rise in bp has me nervous

4 months ago,  during my bleed,  my blood pressure was uncharacteristically high for me. Typically  90s over 60s. It was 160 over something(can't remember). Drs believe my bleed was RCVS, maybe blood pressure played a role or perhaps an effect.

Since about two weeks after bleed, my blood pressure has been back to original low.  But the last few days I've been feeling funky. Can't explain, just off. Tired. Increase in head pressure. Before today, bp has been just slightly over my normal.  Today, I take my blood pressure and consistently it measures 140 + over 80+. 

I'm a bit nervous.  Going to rest and check bp in an hour. Anyone walk through something like this before?

Hi Valene,

My blood pressure was high and has been up and down like a yo yo over the last 4 years, I was told to get a home blood pressure monitor, I only check it once a month now as it is much better and within the parameters that the doctor wanted it to be.

Louise could be right, maybe if you are over doing things it could be your body's way of telling you to slow down, as usual we will always say, if you are concerned and worried always see your doctor that way you will have your mind put at ease.

I was given these tips for taking blood pressure at home.

Before you start sit and relax, take some nice deep breaths.

Continue those breaths while you are taking your blood pressure.

Never sit with your legs crossed while you are doing it, this can affect your blood pressure reading.

Hope you get things sorted and everything settles down for you.

Good luck 

Love

Michelle xx 

Hi,

If you are worried, go back and get yourself checked out and at the same time get professional advice from your medical team on how to regulate your blood pressure. 

When you know what the problem is ie; you have identified it, then you can do something positive about it.  Just speculating and worrying won't do you any good. Just worrying will increase your stress levels and that in itself is not a good thing. It will just eat away at your nerves, so take back control over the problem, identify it, isolate it and tackle it!

Good luck, I wish you well!

Macca

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. It's holding steady at the rate I stated earlier.

Macca,  I definitely plan to follow up with primary doctor on Monday. Was just a little anxious over the weekend, as the only other time in my life I had an elevated BP it led to or was a result of a bleed. I was just reaching out for perspective. 

I ended up going to ER yesterday as BP climbed to 160 range, accompanied with headaches and nausea. ( This occurred after taking  BP meds given after SAH for the past two day. The same meds DR had taken me off of when my BP went back to its normal 90/ 60 range two months ago.) The whole incident was too reminiscent of the day of my bleed and quite scary. At the hospital, Cat scan was clear. Bp stabilized, meds given for headache and nausea.  And I was so grateful to fall asleep in my own bed after a trying day.

But the whole thing got me thinking, what if I hadn't had bp meds to at least moderate the rising BP? I wonder if the high (for me) BP, accompanied with the vomiting was the reason for the bleed? Can stress alone cause a 50 - 70 point surge? Or some other issue? All of this, I will ask my dr.  Anyway, just thinking out loud with those who truly understand. I am feeling much better today. Appointment with general pratictioner soon. I'll update in case this may be useful for others one day.

xo

Hi Valene,

With regards to stress, no one knows for sure what it can or can't do.  it is almost an immeasurable thing because it is different in each and every person and there are so many external factors that can affect results or outcomes, such as  mood, the issue that causes the anxiety, other domestic or business issues in your life that may be at play etc.

So the thing to do is to keep in touch with your medics and try to do things that don't place any extra pressure on you than is necessary.

Rising blood pressure can be caused by lots of different things and they may - or may not - be related to your bleed.  In effect, you are asking for an answer we cannot give. 

The way to play this is to evaluate what causes you stress and pressure at the moment and then try to cut down - or cut out completely - those things and let your doctors do the rest.

Common sense is that pressure and stress after a bleed is the last thing you need - so reduce it as best you can.  Above all, talk to those around you to help relieve, or spread the load, of those pressures.

Good luck!

Macca

Hi Valene,

So sorry to hear that you ended up having to go to hospital, I could imagine how worrying that must have been.

Macca is right, stress affects everyone differently, as he says if you can find the causes of your stress and cut them down or even out, you can get on top of this.

Stress is not your best friend, you really need to be taking things easy and allowing your brain and your body to recover at their own pace, you will have good and bad days, problem is, if you don't listen to your body & brain, you are going to have more bad than good, they both need lots of time to recover, plenty of rest and making sure you are drinking plenty of water is also important, ask family and friends to help, as Macca said, spread the load a little bit.

Things will begin to improve, it all takes time, you just have to do things at a different pace, slowly.

I wish you well Valene, 

Love

Michelle xx 

My hubby got me a BP monitor and he tried it on himself and it was sky high.

My sister was here and told him to see Doc it was nearly 200,  so he is the only one who uses it and his Doc said take it first then rest and take it a 2nd time, don't know why it is always lower 2nd time ..Clever some Docs xxx 

Good luck Valene and all what others said especially about stress !!! xxxx Be Well 

16 hours ago, Winb143 said:

My sister was here and told him to see Doc it was nearly 200,  so he is the only one who uses it and his Doc said take it first then rest and take it a 2nd time, don't know why it is always lower 2nd time ..Clever some Docs xxx 

Think its called "White Coat Syndrome" - my Doc told me that almost all patients' BP will be higher the first time its taken as we're all so worried about the results - when we see a Doc for BP test it naturally goes higher apparently, that's why some do it twice.

• 8 months later...

I see last year I stated I would reply to this in case it would help someone after my visit to primary doctor. Please excuse the oversight. He agreed with you guys, regardless of the reason for the BP rise, stress makes it even worse. He told me something that stuck with me: *Your body remembers having a bleed.* He gave me something to calm my nerves, never took, and told me next time to rest, take bp; if still up, take bp pill, rest and take bp; if still up, take one of those pills to calm me, rest take bp,, and if it was still up, call him. .... Over the course of the year, I have had several times when I felt off in that way, took my bp and it was high for me. During those times, I pull out the resting bp meds, rest and ride it out. No idea what causes it to rise...life, age, doing too much... I do know, after a few days, it has always come back down to my normal and for that I am grateful. Blessings, everyone. 

Archived