What's a SAH? What is that to do with the lesson?

Paul Simpson

On the 11/11/2014 at 9.15 a.m. my changed life began. I was teaching my BTEc group at sixth form centre when something went horribly wrong with my head.

I only know what followed by speaking to family and friends. Staff  colleagues who were trained knew something was wrong. They rang for an ambulance, when it arrived they radioed an air ambulance.

I went to the Trauma Department at Queens Medical Centre at Nottingham. I had surgery and my family were told I wouldn't last through the night.

I caught pneumonia and infection and was in a coma. Everyone tried different things to get me to recover favourite songs, poems and pictures of Heather(wife), Emily(daughter) and Joe(son). Four weeks passed and my Derby County songs brought me back.This was a bit embarrassing in Nottingham.

Three months later and I visited work in a wheelchair to thank the students for raising money for the air ambulance service. Five months later back a day a week at work. I have had  OT SLT and counselling and 4 years later I am starting to talk about it.

Paul

QMC,...saved me  too!  I was a teacher too Paul. Head exploded, crashed into a lorry, no idea what was happening. My family, like yours, pulled me out my abyss. .....Now we are here! ...survivors!......The lucky few!. Mr MCarther, if that was your sugeon, told me ,...12.5 % of SAH victims recover, completely. 12.5% recover partially. 25% recover. 50% die on the spot, or the next day. We are all very lucky!  

Hi Paul,

When I was out of it,  my Daughter found this site and when I woke up she told me about it.

I came on here and knowing we are not the only ones is a help in itself.

When I've come on here for a moan about how I feel there is always someone here to make you feel happy again.

Welcome to BTG and good luck on recovery, slow but sure xxxx We are the lucky ones who live to talk about it.

I have my smile back and OT's said I'd never be the same and to put me in a home, I could have been an old Dear sitting in my cuckooland with hydrocephalus, had shunt fitted and woke up, took the fluid off brain and here to tell story and smile again xxxx

Hi Paul 

A very warm welcome to BTG :)

Glad you found us. You will find lots of helpful information & friendly caring support here,

Feel free to join in the daily banter in the Green Room too.

Wishing you well with your ongoing recovery and look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Tina.

Hi Paul,

Welcome to BTG, so pleased you have found us, this is a great place for support and advice, a place where you can also come to let off a bit of steam when and if you need to.

I wish you well with your on going recovery and as Tina said, come along and join us in the green room, always lots of banter going on in there, we are all a big friendly bunch.

Love

Michelle xx 

Paul

Welcome to the fold. Surviving our bleeds changes us forever and each of us have different impacts and legacy of our bleed as unique as our individual brains are but we all share that curiosity of possibilities in a life after bleed and I think that is a real key towards a more lasting acceptance of change having been forced upon us,

None one of us can go back, rewind the clock so to speak but we can be kind to our brains as it adjust to its new working capacity and limits And in that find things we enjoy and can do and a pace that is good for us now, in this new state.

I am six and half years out . Talking, curiosity and stubbornness are the three qualities I think are my greatest tools in my ‘rebuilding life’ kit as I explored what on Earth I can do now. Early on I couldn’t see much possibility of how I could ever regain doing much of what I had taken for granted but now with that time passed I can look back and see so much progress, so much achievement but also acceptance that I am and will always be different to whom I was then. And I’m cool with that. 

Go steady Paul. be kind to self. 

Daffodil

Thank you,it has taken four years to come to terms with my SAH but there are still times when I ask why it was me? My previous strength was  a real sense of humour, I always had to say the last word. I could make people laugh and cheer them up. I now take an age to reply to humorous comments and there are times I will say something ridiculous.

What keeps me going is my Wife and two children who still love despite what I sometimes say to them. They said goodbye to me in hospital but I wouldn't  give in. 

Now I just want to talk.

Archived