prues story &dog

i had been suffering with a bad arm and had a cortisone injection on monday 23 sep the next day it was a bit better and the day after it was veryy good,so we went shopping to get all the food for my 70th birthday party,we had about 35 people coming to the house,i sat down about 1pm to read the paper when i had this terrible pain right over my head,i called my husband and he took me to our local hospital,they said i had an ear infection,and gave me 2 paracetamols,sent me to see my doctor at 4pm,she said the same,the next day iwas worse and went to see another doctor,she said ear infection and urine infection,took sample to send off,saturday put up with all the pain,then 5am sunday icould stand it no longer,we went to the out of hours doctor,he sent me to the main hospital in torquay,had brain scan,then went to derriford in plymouth,another scan,and op on 30th,6 days after first suffering,on discharge from hospital 8 days later,i had no help or advice at all,we had to sort it all out ourselves,district nurse,neuro phy,walking aids,new rails and handles to help me ,then i found this site,all the help i needed,it was someone else to talk to ,who had been through the same ,still early days 32 days,but thank goodness for this site,just one coincidence,i was haveing my op at 1pm and my dog had a dog version of sah,my husband took her to the vet at 11 30 because he thought she was having a fit,she was going round in circles and her eyes were rolling,vet said it was a burst vein in head,harry did not tell me any of this untill i got home,dog is fine now ,still on tablets but doing well.

Hello Prudence

Welcome to Behind the gray. Glad to hear you are on the mend, don't go doing too much though, take lots of rest. Sorry you felt abandoned after leaving hospital, the last thing you needed was having to organise all those things at home.

How strange that the dog had a similar thing, must have done it in sympathy for you!

Hope you manage to celebrate your 70th sometime.

Lots of best wishes

Ann

many thanks for your reply,,hope you are well,i am sorry but i must disagree with you on the hospital as a whole, ann moore the consultant was good,but the wards were filthy,toilet floor was soaking ,my husband complained every day for 7 days,he was bringing me meals every day because the food was so bad (the wine list was not very good either) maybe i hit it on a bad week,but i was in there in march when they operated on my spine and it was pretty much the same,still all that is in the past i hope,glad your time in there was better,keep well prue((

Hey Prudence

I was treated at Derriford too. We were on holiday on Devon at the time. I can't find fault with Derriford at all - the surgeon and the staff were brilliant.

TTFN

Sami xxx

Thanks for telling us your story Prue .... and your poor doggy ..... bless... so glad that you've both come through it....

Unfortunately, your hospital experience sounds familiar and it's about time that basic hygiene and cleaning were brought up to scratch ... it's not rocket science is it? .... I'm not sure how or why hospitals are still not able to rectify this problem ..... perhaps we should bring back the matrons .... I was appalled at the state of the toilet floor when I was put onto a neuro ward ..... considering that I had vision problems, I could still see that certain mess was still on the floor, days later .... even a urine sample that I was asked to leave was still in it's carton .... 3 days later ..... absolutely gross ....

Hi there

Warm welcome to the site, wow what a time you had, they thought I had an inner ear infection too, sometimes its hard to know what it is thats going on.....

I went to rehab then outpatients OT but once able that was that :roll:

take care

Louise.x

Hello Pru and Welcome to the board :)

My hospital experience was good, but no aftercare, just one doctor who said that it would take a long time to recover both physically and emotionally, and he was right!

9 months after my SAH , my springer spaniel had an SAH but didn't survive.

A year later I now have a new puppy who is keeping me really busy :D

Vivien x

the he is a her and she is called sophie 14and a half years old cross springer and collie sable and white,icould not manage without this site you will find that most of the questions you want to ask the answers are here somwhere,good luck prue

Hello Pru,

WELCOME to BTG, its the best site ever i am also new to the site and it really helps to read how everyone is doing and you're definitely not on your own with this :D

Hope you are doing ok and your poor dog, whats his name?

Love luck and laughter Michelle C

so sorry to hear you lost your dog,we must have been very lucky as ours is 14 and a half, pruex

Hello Pru and Welcome to the board :)

My hospital experience was good, but no aftercare, just one doctor who said that it would take a long time to recover both physically and emotionally, and he was right!

9 months after my SAH , my springer spaniel had an SAH but didn't survive.

A year later I now have a new puppy who is keeping me really busy :D

Vivien x

Guest ElaineW

That is an amazing story and somewhat spooky. Glad Sophie is not feeling "RUFF" now and all the very best to you with your recovery. I am a carer but have found this site a blessing in disguise

Elaine

thanks for your good wishes dog is doing well,hope your mum is going on alright, pruex,

That is an amazing story and somewhat spooky. Glad Sophie is not feeling "RUFF" now and all the very best to you with your recovery. I am a carer but have found this site a blessing in disguise

Elaine

Hello Prue,

Whoops, say sorry to Sophie for me and give her a biscuit so glad shes doing well,i have a wire fox terrier called Quin, its his birthday at christmas and i wouldnt be without him, he has been by my side everyday since my sah/stroke and a constant companion. :D I had my other smooth foxy for 17 half yrs and waited a year before getting quin for my birthday in march,

Anyway hope you are doing ok, keep warm :D

love luck and laughter

Michelle C

hi all not a good day for me dizzy and having a bad eye day but i must take the rough with the smooth,had a walk but really did not feel like it, but i did it.have done a bit of house work but will go to bed early.Have done a bit of shopping saw the doctor yesterday as i have still got a problem with my frozen arm,so waiting to go to physio again,dog seems ok thank goodness,hope everybody else is going on ok.love prue xx

hi michelle thanks so much for your mail, i really dread the thought of losing my dog after 14 half years she has been a super dog my second i had a rough collie before, and now iam 70 i am wondering if it will be to late she cant understand why i have a patch over my eye and my cat looks at me quite strange but i do love my animals we feed all the birds and the fox who comes at night we live in the country hope you have had a good day love prue

Hello Prue,

Whoops, say sorry to Sophie for me and give her a biscuit so glad shes doing well,i have a wire fox terrier called Quin, its his birthday at christmas and i wouldnt be without him, he has been by my side everyday since my sah/stroke and a constant companion. :D I had my other smooth foxy for 17 half yrs and waited a year before getting quin for my birthday in march,

Anyway hope you are doing ok, keep warm :D

love luck and laughter

Michelle C

Guest Beth1957

My cat is called Sophie. If my eyesight gets any worse I'm threatening to train her as a guide-cat - except she'd only ever take me to her food dish or to the sofa for cuddles!

Look after yourself, Pru; and Sophie of course!

hi beth thank you for reply our cat and dog are both spoilt m y husband holds the plate for my cat to feed,do hope you get on ok with your operation it really is a worrying time but good luck.love pruexx

My cat is called Sophie. If my eyesight gets any worse I'm threatening to train her as a guide-cat - except she'd only ever take me to her food dish or to the sofa for cuddles!

Look after yourself, Pru; and Sophie of course!

have had a really good day accept for my double vision, went to the supermarket with my husband, and did very well, the neo physio nurse came to see me ,and said i was doing really well, so that made me feel good still got my patch on as if i take it off i feel really weird. (still early days yet)so must put up with it .love prue xx :D

Hi Prue

So glad you've had a good day today it must be really encouraging that the Nurse thinks you're doing so well. Just remember to take it easy and rest when you can. The double vision is horrible mine took quite a few months to get better and if I get too tired it still gets blurry even now.

Janet x

thanks for your reply its so hard for me to take it easy, i am never still usually always looking for something else to do xx

Hi Prue

So glad you've had a good day today it must be really encouraging that the Nurse thinks you're doing so well. Just remember to take it easy and rest when you can. The double vision is horrible mine took quite a few months to get better and if I get too tired it still gets blurry even now.

Janet x