Did a stupid thing

Yesterday I changed a lampshade.  This involved standing on tiptoes and reaching up with both hands very high for several minutes, while looking up. Afterwards I realised how stupid that was and I have had a bad headache ever since, particularly in my eyes. My BP is quite low 100-110/60 ish.  Had NASAH in frontal lobe in September. Do you think I've done more damage or just upset it?  Not like the original bleed headpain. Cannot believe my stupidity!

If you are worried, the thing to do is to go and get checked out by your doctor or the team that dealt with your NASAH.

Sadly, we are unable to give medical advice since we are not qualified to do so.

There could be many reasons/explanations why this has happened, and they may not be related to the NASAH.  The lesson, though, for you, is to listen to your body when it gives you signs it isn't happy with what you are doing, and also, don't be fooled into thinking you can do anything on days when you feel good.

You aren't stupid, you weren't to know you would have such a reaction.

Take care - go and see your medical team for professional advice!

Go and see a Dr to put your mind at rest xxx

My honest opinion and I am not a Dr but I would say you have probably stretched your muscles I do it all the time (because I am quick to offer advice but take no notice myself) xxx

Drink plenty of water and go see your Dr but more importantly don't stress xxx

Hi,

I did all sorts of stupid things after mine.  One day, about two or three months after, I decided it would be a good idea to go outside in the heat and pull weeds.  Well, after I knelt down to pull the second weed I toppled over and passed out. Yep, not smart.  I tried  to walk up and down stairs when my depth perception was inactive at the time.  We think easy is still easy.    Oh, and I also built a sandcastle for my daughter and that put me in bed for a couple of days after with an excruciating headache.  

Make an apt to see you Dr.  Sometimes it's the only thing to help you feel secure in your recovery.

iola

Yes I agree go get checked out if you feel things have deteriorated. 

It’s likely you are now anxious about it which of course makes things worse. Like Iola I tried to do many things too fast, too soon, invariably ending up flat on my bum, or lying in bed with fizzing sounds or dizziness having overdone it. 

I had to learn and you will as well that I had to approach things differently. Slower. Show myself more consideration and ask for Help to do tasks I used to take for granted. Try to notice your warning signs and if you feel well enough to change a bulb , great, but then do rest afterwards, sounds silly but you’ve just asked a lot of your brain; to climb, to focus, to balance , to coordinate, that’s a fast use of brain juice and you’ve got to build up slow and steady. 

i still find it hard to tip my head right back, it makes me dizzy fast but also I have a Shunt though so it doesnt Help that I hear the valves move when I do which i still find disconcerting 🙂 so I don’t change lightbulbs or do jobs that require me to tip head right back, I’ve just never got comfortable with it since

Hi Vicky, I have suffered badly with head pain since my NASAH last May. I rarely have a day without pain. The GPs have not been able to help really I have needed a neurologist to make any real difference.

Have you been referred? I feel on my new mix of meds I am going in the right direction but I am constantly being told it takes time. I find a warm flannel on my head and a warmed lavender neck bag (you know the ones that go in the microwave). 

I completely understand how frightening every headache is. I also do deep breathing when the pain is bad. 

I know they will not fix it but just a couple of little things that help me. 

I've had no follow up from hosp since discharge in September. 

Just told not to take blood thinners and keep BP under 120 at ALL times (impossible and I've got low BP 100/60 often). Sometimes it goes up to 135 ish for a while.

I take diazepam occasionally for anxiety and paracetamol or cocodamol for headaches, which are both useless. My GP said I could take trams weeks ago but I didn't want to start them again. I may have to give a try.

My GP knows less about NASAH than me and can't speak to a NHS neurologist - they don't communicate very well. No useful advice on recovery - re activity, meds, emotional issues, etc.

Evening Vicky and all,

I'm almost four years out now and I still get real kickers of headaches, normally if I do too much, am run down or am in noisy environments etc. I went to my GP about 18 months ago as I was concerned that I was taking a reasonable amount of paracetamol and ibuprofen in my mind probably too regularly.

Long story short, I was prescribed a low dose of amitriptyline and this has helped reduce my consumption of the other analgesics. I feel that the amitriptyline prevents me needing paracetamol to kill the normal daily headaches I was suffering, and as a plus helps with the sleep (which has been disturbed since my NASAH).

The amitriptyline doesn't cover me for the really strong headaches or those that come from doing too much etc, but definitely helped moderate things. Down side is that I find the drowsiness builds up over the week, so under approval of my GP I have a 4-5 day on, 2 to 3 day off regimen, which seems to work for me. By the end of the days off though I can feel the general headaches building back up and I tend to use more paracetamol.

Hope this might help, I know its slightly different for you Vicky, good luck with it! (& we have all done daft things in retrospect post SAH, I have a long long list of things I should have know better not to do!)

Thanks Greg and Win. 

My GP suggested Amitriptyline til I reminded him what it did to my ectopic heartbeats. I asked about tramadol, I'm not keen to restart them - had them for couple of years with slipped disc.  He said try one first.  Found out my cholesterol has rocketed to 6.7 (5.9 last year) but not going to add statins to the mix. I wasn't surprised though, eating rubbish and no exercise.

I can't shake the depression, anxiety, headache and living alone in a small village doesn't help.  Not being able to drive at the moment is restrictive, hate having to rely on people. 

Well, I've done an Internet shop of healthy food and ordered a new step counter from Amazon. I will take a tramadol and try get my act together.  It's 16 weeks now - when I get to six months I might begin to stop thinking I'm going to die at any moment.  Love this site - so much info and people feeling just like I do. X

Vicky when I first came on here I thought "Well Win this is the end" I was very depressed but I kept singing and thinking happy 

thoughts and  before I knew it, I was laughing and being a right pest on here !! I got my smile /Mojo back !! 

I realised this wasn't the end but the new me and I liked me lol.  Saw all my get well cards and realised I was loved.  I had to get better for those who stood bye me in times of need and sung with me xxx After a year of singing I cut it down as I realised I was driving loved ones mad let alone my Pals on BTG lol  xxxx

It is a long journey but we are here and anytime you feel down type away this site is so good to talk out worries and little things that niggle you.  One woman got the hump as I was too happy for her !! Life is tough when around me  lol xxx Be happy and always when down try and think of a nice time be it years ago or recent and smile xxxx  But it will come xxxx  Be Well V xxxxx

Have you been in Green room yet Vicky? general chit chat  xxxxx

Evening Vicky,

You have my sympathy I live out of the city and relying on busses was not fun, infrequent and unreliable. One thing though if the DVLA have suspended your driving licence then you are eligible for a bus pass. Small conciliation I know, but might as well save a few £'s . There are a few message threads on here re the DVLA and getting licenses back. 

Yes internet shopping my saviour! I don't like busy shopping places, they drain my energy and bring on headaches, so I venture there only when I really need to, or choose my times carefully! Couldn't live without Amazon now (other online providers are available :-)   )

16 weeks is so early, I cringe to remember how I felt then and the things that I worried about back then. I can remember going out for the first walk by myself and thinking right I need to stay on streets where if I collapse there will be someone to find me. Now I get to as a quiet a place as I can, far better for the head. 

As Wyn said it is long journey some bits more so than other. Somethings though you will be surprised how quickly you progress. Everyone's path is quite different. But you have found a great place here in BTG as there is a wealth of support and information to help you on that journey. I come and go a bit, but folks are still as welcoming, and just to know that other folks have been through and are feeling just the same is wonderful.

Enjoying hitting your targets with the pedometer. I walk loads now as the more strenuous exercise just doesn't sit well. Today I managed 6.5 miles, shattered now but nice to know I had earnt my supper! Will sleep well!

Archived