Half marathon

I am so soo glad to share with all of you, I just finished a half marathon. I am 7 months post NASAH. Feeling very emotional right now. 

Thank you all for the extensive support. 

You guys are the first ones I am sharing this with. 

Thanks again.

Hi Ami

Congratulations and well done for completing the half! I know how hard that would have been, my max is 10 miles. I din't complete that until 18 months post SAH so you've done brilliantly. I can only imagine how you felt when you crossed that line - I am sure there were tears.

You should be really proud! Now have a good rest because I'm sure you'll be feeling it tomorrow ;) xx

Clare xx

Thank you all 😊

Yes, I had tears in my eyes and it was a very emotional moment, the finish line.

The first neurologist who managed me 7 months ago said I could never run in my life again, at the most, may be a 5 K, definitely not more than that.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Hi Ami

Well done on the half marathon, that's absolutely cracking👍.  It's really encouraging to hear people get back to normal sporting activities post NASAH.  My main concern following my bleed was if and when I could get back to exercise.  Previous to it occurring I was training for long distance bike races and was cycling most days.  Its now 6 weeks post perimesencephalic SAH and was advised not to do anything strenuous for at least 2-3 weeks.  I'm now cycling 3 days a week short distances and swimming/light gym work. 

If you don't mind me asking, why did your initial neurologist say you may never run again or not more than 5k? 

Thanks Ben 

Wow, that's amazing Ami!!  I wouldn't consider running a marathon and I haven't had a NASAH!  I'm very impressed and so pleased for you at this achievement.  There's nothing quite like proving others wrong, is there?

Veronica :-) 

On 27/08/2019 at 20:03, Ben S 2000 said:

Hi Ami

Well done on the half marathon, that's absolutely cracking👍.  It's really encouraging to hear people get back to normal sporting activities post NASAH.  My main concern following my bleed was if and when I could get back to exercise.  Previous to it occurring I was training for long distance bike races and was cycling most days.  Its now 6 weeks post perimesencephalic SAH and was advised not to do anything strenuous for at least 2-3 weeks.  I'm now cycling 3 days a week short distances and swimming/light gym work. 

If you don't mind me asking, why did your initial neurologist say you may never run again or not more than 5k? 

Thanks Ben 

Thank you all once again. 

Ben, I am really not sure why he said that, may he was worried about a rebleed and I asked this question of when I could run again on the 3rd day after I had my SAH. May be my question was too soon. But when he said that, I did break down. Till that time, I handled my diagnosis so bravely (in fact I made my diagnosis at home and went to the hospital very soon after the onset of headache - I am a doctor)

After the DSA, I met another neurologist who gave me a clearance. 

Good to know you are back cycling. Keep it up.

Archived