Hi from a new member - Deborah

Pale Empress

Hi all

Just found this site while researching SAH and hope talking to others may make me feel a little more normal.

I had my SAH a week before Christmas (actually the night before my birthday!!!) and what a shock, I didn't see that one coming! After an op to coil the aneurysm and a week in hospital (much of which I can't remember properly) I was allowed home on Christmas Eve to begin my recovery. Although the hospital staff were excellent, I was given very little information about what to expect in the aftermath and have since been trawling the net for info just so I don't feel quite so 'in the dark'. It wasn't until I read an article containing the survival statistics for SAH sufferers that I truly realised just how lucky I am to be here.

I have been lucky to have the fantastic support of my husband and my 18 and 17 year old daughters. They have all been there to put up with my tears and frustrations and are always on hand when I need a hug. In fact I now feel closer to my husband and family than I ever have before. The down side to that is that I now don't want them to go out to work or school as I miss them terribly but I think this is a natural reaction what has happened.

I think I'm coping ok, although the last week has been a challenge as I have now started feeling anxious, for no particular reason at times, and I have been really over emotional and have spent much of the time crying or shouting at people. I find I can't cope with anything out of the ordinary and need my life to be calm and running smoothly. I am still getting headaches everyday but have managed to cut down on the number of painkillers I take. I also get frustrated as my memory is terrible and I have to now write everything down. The latest annoyance is that I often forget what things and people are called, is this usual (I couldn't remember the word for 'table' the other day)

I have had other issues to deal with alongside this which probably don't help my situation. Within the last 3 weeks I have attended 3 funerals of my aunts and uncles and my 3 month old niece has undergone heart surgery so it has not been a brilliant start to the year but I am determined not to let things get me down.

Everyday is different at the moment, I have good and bad days, and happy and sad days and just can't wait for my life to return to somewhere near normal (if it ever can). I'm looking forward to talking to you all and sharing your experiences.

Deborah

Glad to see you have found this wonderful site - it has been a tremendous help to me, my SAH was in June last year and I dont remember anything for about a month. What you are feeling is ok and many of us on here have felt the same and still do! It does get better but it is frustrating. Everyone will tell you not to do too much and rest when you can! such good advice! Look forward to hearing more from you or maybe in the chat room.

Take care

Caroline

Hi Deborah

And a warm welcome to the site.

You have had a rotten time of it, yes its an emotional triangle and a rollercoaster too, but its really early days, I found that with all this I gain great determination

take care

Louise.x

Hi Deborah

A warm welcome to BTG, thank you for sharing your story.

Everything you are feeling at the moment is quite normal, I too did not like being left on my own too.

It's still early days for you and you have been through a lot emotionally for the past few weeks.

Listen to your body and rest up whenever you can. Take care.

Myra xx

Guest ElaineW

I am a carer - my mum had hers 8 months ago and as you will find your way around this site there are some really interesting stories etc. It sounds as though you have done very well and yes every survivor has been very lucky. It is a real life changing event. I hope you continue to make progress, I am sure with the help of your dedicated family you will.

Elaine

Hello Deborah

WELCOME to the family you will find alot of support and meet lovely people on here x x

I am 29 and was 28 when I had my bleed x x also like yourself I had coils x I have found recovery really hard and emotional x x

I am now 10 months TODAY into recovery and have good days and bad days x x

tc and welcome again

donna

WELCOME TO BTG DEBORAH

YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN YOUR FEELINGS AND IT WILL GET BETTER.

I STILL GET ANXIOUS, EMOTIONAL, AND ANGERY OUT BURST AT TIMES AND FORGETING WORDS IS NOTHING UNUSUAL FOR ME, AND MY FAMILY JUST STOPS AND WAITS TO SEE IF IT WILL COME OR I WILL POINT OR WHAT EVER IT TAKES, JIM MY HUSBAND TRYS VERY HARD TO SIDE STEP ANY CAOS FROM ME, BECAUSE I DON'T DEAL WELL WITH STRESS ANYMORE.

I DON'T LIKE BEING ALONE AS MUCH BUT NOW HAVE TIMES THAT I NEED TO BE ALONE WERE IT IS QUIET.

HOPE TO HEAR MORE FROM YOU XXX EVELYN

Hi Deborah

A warm welcome to BTG you will find that there is always someone who can answer your questions. What you are feeling is very normal the first 12 months can be very emotional and it is very frustrating and annoying when you can't find the right words but it will get better with time.

Look forward to hearing more from you take care and try to rest as much as possible.

Janet x

Hi Deborah

Welcome to the family you will find lots of support advice and many friends on this fantastic site, as the others have said what you are experiencing is what we have/are going through ourselves, i cannot remember the names of things and get really frustrated and end up pointing at them...it gets worse the more angry i get...so i try to keep calm and take a few deep breaths...well i hope this helps a little.

Take care and rest up

Love luck and laughter

Michellexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Deborah

Welcome to BTG, you have had a rough time lately.

This website is full of advice and support and I'm sure you will make so many lifelong friends. What you experiencing is normal for the first year etc and I must say I'm just over 2 years and emotions are still much worse for me.

Stay smiling

Love and hugs

Laura

Hi Deborah and welcome :) Yopu have had a rough time, but now the time has come to look after you! You are important and the only one who can really know just how you are feeling. What you have said so far sounds about right as I am sure you will discover the more you explore the site. There will always be someone to answer any questions you may have, no ! will have, we all do :wink: Take your time, and be good to yourself as well as to your family, they need you too!

I look forward to any more posts you may make :)

Hi Deborah

I had my SAH 14 Nov 2008 and like you didn't really take in the seriousness of it, and how lucky I was, despite hearing the stats, until my GP, who is fab, sat me down and told me quite bluntly.

We all have up and down days...I threw two plates at the wall the other day in frustration, because I couldn't explain how I was feeling! I was finding bits of china for days!

You must listen to your body, as there will be days when you feel almost "back to your old self" and do the things you would have before...then a day or two later you wonder why you don't have the strength to make a drink.

Look forward to keeping in touch

Joanne

Hi to you all. Thank you for all your kind messages of support. I've been having a good browse around the site and have found it so useful already and everyone seems so friendly. You have all answered lots of my questions though I am sure to have many more as time goes on.

I was worried I was suffering from anxiety but after visiting my GP on Monday I actually have high blood pressure which is why I have been feeling dizzy and having palpitations. I go back next week for check-up and may have to have medication, is this a common problem after SAH? Am trying to rest as much as possible and just hope my bp goes down.

Looking forward to chatting to you all, although at the moment I can't look at the computer screen for very long as it gives me a headache, so I will visit as often as I can.

Deb x

Hi Deb,

I can only speak for myself ..... but anxiety and dizziness has been a huge problem ....which has got better with time, but still have the odd heart flutters, so I'm on beta blockers ...... I only take one a day and they help with the migraines too ..... but one of the side effects is hair loss, so I have cut them down to the bare minimum ..... but when I stop them completely, then the migraines with aura kick in .... I don't have a high BP though, it's always been normal or a bit on the low side.

Love K x

Guest Beth1957
Hi Deb,

I can only speak for myself ..... but anxiety and dizziness has been a huge problem ....which has got better with time, but still have the odd heart flutters, so I'm on beta blockers ...... I only take one a day and they help with the migraines too ..... but one of the side effects is hair loss, so I have cut them down to the bare minimum ..... but when I stop them completely, then the migraines with aura kick in .... I don't have a high BP though, it's always been normal or a bit on the low side.

Love K x

On the positive side, I've had no problems with hair loss while on beta-blockers. Thank goodness! :)