Re: Stroke post-traumatic stress risk - http://news.bbc.co.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7907307.stm

Hey there

Karen thanks for pointing this out. I was diagnosed with this a matter of weeks after my brain hem. It can manifest in several ways - mine symptoms were anxiety, severe depression, fatigue and emotional turmoil. There were times when I thought I was going crazy. Luckily for me I was referred to a counsellor who helped me come to terms with things and to think rationally.

TTFN

Sami xxxx

Guest Beth1957

Makes sense to me! It's a life-changing, even life-shattering, event, after all :(

It's nice to see that it's being recognised as such; perhaps counselling may come to be offered as a matter of course?

:roll: Well this has happened to me! i am presently seeing a pshycoligist for this condition which became much worse for back last year ,when i had a bad relapse from stoke complications and other illnesses which got me.I am trying now to take life much easier,and cut down on my work hours and i am finding it very diffilclt to cope with tiredness.tc all paul

Hi

The report makes interesting reading.

I think I was in denial afer my SAH for two reasons. One being that I have absolutely no memory of the event itself or the 10 days afterwards. I still don't exactly know what happened that day minute by minute as I was alone when it happened and I was unconscious for about 4 hours. Also my husband still won't talk about it as he was the one who found me. And secondly, I found it hard to accept that I'd been so ill as I'd survived whereas my Dad, who had SAH 6 years earlier, had died.

I had / still have emotional turmoil and fatigue. When fatigue hits me, the urge to sleep is overwhelming.

Kim

Thanks for the article Sami

I had a councillor once and I don't think I will go again, I don't think she had any idea about SAH and she was at least honest by telling me that it's a first time with a SAH survivor.

I think it's about time that emphasis should be made on the mental part of recovery of SAH.

Myra xx

Hi all

I'm just so relieved to learn that I'm not the only one who has had ongoing PTSD. I was fine when it happened then lost consciousness for 2 days and could only remember vague shadows and as my family didn't want to talk about it and shut me out as it were I went into denial and I think that really triggered it off. I'm still trying to unravel it and make sense of it all and although I don't appear as having PTSD it's left a bit of a legacy of issues which I'm continuing to work through with a counsellor. I think this article will be helpful to explain why I get so distressed at times.

The first year was the worst really but then SAH combined with a slower functioning brain and memory loss and other people unable to understand is traumatic.

My best wishes to everyone who is going through this part of the experience - just knowing it's "normal" helps and there's loads of support here.

Lauren

Guest Beth1957
Myra, you should have got intouch with Headway if you wernt happy with the councillor....

it really helps.....

Louise.x

Probably not too late, Myra! Give them a ring, honey...

I've found a slightly more in-depth version of the article here...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 230703.htm

Newcastle General is mine & Vivienne's hospital & The Prof is our neurosurgeon :)