First MRI Scan ...A tad Scared.

Guest Blossomuk

Guest Blossomuk

Hey All

Post SAH 5 weeks now and have my first ever MRI scan on Friday (13th) and I am totaly terrified, dont know why I have to have one, as the SAH is supposedly non aneurysm. I thought I just had to go back to see the NS in June.

Is it standard procedure to have an MRI scan? or have they found something else?, cant stop worrying about it, to the point where I have had an anxiety attack, Is this MRI scan a daunting experiance?

Any advice would be greatful

Jac x

Guest Beth1957
Hey All

Post SAH 5 weeks now and have my first ever MRI scan on Friday (13th) and I am totaly terrified, dont know why I have to have one, as the SAH is supposedly non aneurysm. I thought I just had to go back to see the NS in June.

Is it standard procedure to have an MRI scan? or have they found something else?, cant stop worrying about it, to the point where I have had an anxiety attack, Is this MRI scan a daunting experiance?

Any advice would be greatful

Jac x

Hi Jac,

It seems to be common to have a follow-up something or other! I think it's usually an angiogram, but perhaps they're not doing one in youe case because your SAH was non-aneurysm? I dunno I'm afraid :(

The MRI scan itself is nothing to be afraid of; it's a bit claustrophobic because your head is enclosed, and a bit noisy (banging & clanking noises!) but it doesn't involve any injections or anything. And it doesn't take very long, either. Some places invite you to take a favourite CD with you, to help you to relax.

Hope this sets your mind at rest a bit!

Guest Blossomuk

Thanks Beth

I've already had the angiogramme, thats how they found out it was'nt an ani, i just hope it is a follow up and nothing else, cant help but worry though. :?

I think Take That might have to accompany me to my MRI scan :D

Jac x

hi jac

dont worry the mri is harmless but gives more detailed view of what is going on it is able to give far more detail that of a ct scan and whatever they find they can take pitures from any angle upside and downside and sideways and dosnt pose a threat its to give the n/s a far more detailed view .the banging is the worse thing but again its only a noise close your eyes and dream of lying on a beach somewhere warm it at the longest will only take 20 -30 mins hope this helps and good luck

Hello Jac :!: Don't worry, the MRI itself is not a real problem, good idea to have music if you can, but I'm not sure that Take That is music :wink::wink: lol There is only one reason for an MRI for you at this stage, they do indeed want to make sure that there are no hidden, sneaky little problems and if you think about it.....there is only one way to see what is going on in your brain :!: Bet you laugh at yourself for worrying when you come back, but hey I do get annoyed that things are not explained to us more. Just because the medics know what is going on, it does not mean that we do :!::)

Guest Lucie

Hi,

I absolutely hate having the MRIs as I'm claustrophobic. A good bit of advice if you're nervous is to be blindfolded and take some earplugs/music (not sure if you can take mp3 player, but I'm sure others will know). Don't be scared though, it's better to be safe than sorry, I'd have an MRI every week if I could despite how much I hate it ;) Good luck :) xx

Hi Jac

I did what Paul suggested, I imagined that I was on the beach, nice thoughts of other things.

It was noisy for me but I know that it is good to have it done, that way they can see what is going on with our brain.

Hope it goes well for you on Friday.

Myra xx

Guest Blossomuk

Thanks everyone,

Realy trying to get my head round MRI, having morbid thoughts today, not having a good day so far :( burst into tears for nothing, have no get up and go feeling angry, frustrated & fed up and I dont know why.

Friends & family are going about their "normal" lives, I just smile & say Im fine so as not to bother them with how I truly feel.

Sorry just having an off day, I'm sure I will be fine tommorow.

Jac x

Hi Jac

its totally normal to feel the way you are, but do try not to worry about the MRI, its nothing, its standard procedure.

You should tell your family how you truly feel, otherwise they arent going to know, take that from someone who did just that and now wishes that I hadnt...

take care

Louise.x

Hi Jac :D

I agree with Louise on both counts....its because it is the unknown.....there really is nothing to worry about xx

As for just saying...'i am fine'....we are all guilty of that....and really you should tell them, my hubby gets really cross if i am not honest and tell him. He says , how can he really understand and help if i dont tell him how i feel. Tell your family how you are feeling. Bless you.

I really hope you have a better day tomorrow, you take care.

Love Tina xx

Hi Jac

We are all guilty of saying we are fine,m try and be honest though so your family know exactly how you feel. I also know what it is like to burst into tears for no reasonbut I am not ashamed to say it here as most of us will happily put our hands up and say wedo it on a regular basis! I'm sure we could nearly flood England with us all crying so much :lol:

Don't be scared about the MRI, I HATE them too but do the positive thinking, lying on the beach type thoughts and just get through it. QE often has music playing anyway but you can request your own. It is very clanky and noisy so make sure your music is quite loud to overhear it! Take That sounds good to me :D I get to see them again in June-can't wait!

Love and hugs

Laura

Guest Blossomuk

Hey everyone, thank you for all the kind words and the advice it realy has helped me over the last couple of days, hope you are all good & happy today

I had the MRI Scan this morning, I took all of your advice people and did try to be brave, the nurse wasnt very nice. .wouldnt let me play my take that CD, :( had to listen to the god awful racket of the scan, I felt like I was in a washing machine on full spin!. :lol: .I couldnt focus on the sun sea & sand picture, so just pictured my gorgeous girls and they got me through it.

Well its over with now and I'm at home having a nice cup of decaff tea.. Just have to play the waiting game now another 2 weeks of worry! eugh!

Never mind.. these things are sent to try us :D

Keep Smiling everyone

Jac x x

Guest Blossomuk

I did indeed. Louise.. quite proud of myself, I had the injection too its not a nice feeling, and made my eyes blur and water! feel rather tired too, probably becuase I didnt get much sleep worrying about it and was up early this morning!

The reward is now a big bar of Galaxy chocolate then a power nap beofre the girls come home from school.

Keep Smiling

Jac x

Jac I'm so pleased that you have had your scan and are still here to tell us your story :) Well done that woman, I bet you can't think of anything nicer than those girls of yours to focus on, now can you? I trust you enjoyed the Galaxy ( you can feel sorry for me, I hate chocolate since my SAH, but I remember how much I loved it before!) Ah well, it could be worse, I could have gone off coffee, or tea or............. :?::!:

Hi Jac

I had my MRI 2nd march noisey, they are i said it sounded like a washing machine also as for the music you couldn't hear the radio, so i asked the nurse to turn it off, then i thought i could hear Girls aloud singing "promise I made" strange how the mind works eh! Neil said nothing was playing :lol: Did you read my post about Neils boots :lol::lol: now that would have cheered you up.

Well done we both have got through it, take care

Love luck and laughter

Michellexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The last MRI I had I just blanked my mind and nodded off, so it seemed to be over in no time.

I can't stand to hear any sort of noise so I told them not to put the music on, the scan noise was preferable to having that blurting down my ears.

The hassle was waiting to have my shunt reset as the scan had moved it. I had to wait ages, over an hour until a doctor was free to do it.