Three Years Post Bleed. Lots of Questions

Xamder mom

I just found this site!   I"m coming up on three years since my SAH.  I am so excited to read the experiences of others who had a similar experience.

In March 2017, I took my dog for a walk as normal.    I was a healthy 59 year old with a history of exercise and regularly jog, lift weights and achieved a 4th degree black belt.   No one has ever accused me of being a delicate flower so when I experienced a headache so severe it almost brought me to my knees I knew something was seriously wrong.

This was pain!.... I'm not sure exactly how I made it home as i was probably 1/4 mile when the pain occurred.    I remember looking in one of the houses as I passed and wondered if anyone saw me holding my head and moaning.   Funny what you think about and remember.

Thank God for my husband who called 911.  There are many details around that call and the trip to a community hospital that would make you cringe, but thankfully I made it to Massachusetts General Hospital that afternoon.

No coiling needed!   I was home after a few days.  I did have severe back pain a few days after and was told it was the blood in my spinal cord and it would go away.  

Looking back............   I assumed the head pain would go away too.   I was most certainly much better than it was at onset, but still there.

So what does one do after an event such as this?    Carry on!   "I'm fine!!"   "Fine, Fine, Fine!"   So grateful to be alive and off to church I went thanking the Lord for my husband, my family, modern medicine and a Savior who loves me. 

Let me say I'm a person who hardly ever had a headache.   Now as days grew into months I continued to have a buzzing, painful sensation in the exact same place as the excruciating bleed.   Someone described a crescendo type of pain that would decrescendo and sort of fizzle out.   In my desire to carry on I just power through it when it's bad but that results in fatigue and tiredness that feels like a weighted blanket on my body! 

I also noticed that I have trouble recollecting things.   For example, repeating a list or instructions is impossible.  Some would ascribe it to my age... but I can put in on the calendar as happening the day of my SAH.

Anyhow, that' my story in a nutshell.  I still get the buzzing headache and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it?   

If you took time out of your day to read my story this far I thank you.  And to all the wonderful folks on here who have shared and supported others thank you as well.

Hello and also a warm welcome to BTG.  So glad you found the site and are already benefiting from reading the posts from our members.

While we do not provide medical advice you will find great support by being part of the BTG community.

Many thanks for sharing and 3 years on you will have as you mention, experienced the highs and lows of rebuilding your life.

SAH and NASAH do not follow a set pattern in recovery.  So much depends on how much damage was done to the brain by your bleed. Your own personal circumstances such as employment, family life and age will all play a part. 

Good physical health can help, but it is not unusual for even the most fit to be dogged with tiredness and fatigue, while others have been able to resume active life to varying degrees.

Frequent or prolonged headaches and fatigue are common after effects and can be lessened by keeping well hydrated and learning how to listen to your body,  and becoming aware of your limits. You say you have pushed yourself at times .... and while to be admired, you will find that trying too hard may well have a negative affect on your well being.

Please continue to read the threads that relate to your circumstances, and don`t hesitate to continue to ask any questions. 

At BTG you are amongst friends and fellow survivors all of whom have their own individuals stories to tell.

I am sure your husband and family will also benefit from reading the forums. They have no doubt already learned so much about this debilitating attack on your brain as they have tried to help you through these early years.

Keep positive.  There is always the possibility of further improvements after many years.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Subs

Yes, you are right.  When with friends, family and work colleagues it can be so frustrating.  They wrongly assume that because in many cases there is no outward evidence of the brain trauma ..then you must be recovering ok.

How far from reality this can be!

Subs

Welcome to btg. There are many helpful threads here. We can’t give you medical advice but there are many topics that are helpful.

Impressed with the 4th degree black belt. I did it for three years now it seems impossible with work schedule and most schools here are tae kwan do not traditional karate. Drink lots of water, hydrate, rest, no stress, etc etc. good luck. 

Hello and another welcome to BTG....so many of us here, each with a unique story.  I am sorry to read about what happened to you.  It is such a shock to have such an experience, my own SAH began with a thunderclap headache out of nowhere.  I also had a vasospasm 3 days later which took a big toll on me.   My SAH happened 2 years 8 months ago.  I still feel I am improving.  My event happened when I was 64 . 

Lots of great people here....glad you found us..

Jean

On 02/02/2020 at 02:58, Catwoman23 said:

Welcome to btg. There are many helpful threads here. We can’t give you medical advice but there are many topics that are helpful.

Impressed with the 4th degree black belt. I did it for three years now it seems impossible with work schedule and most schools here are tae kwan do not traditional karate. Drink lots of water, hydrate, rest, no stress, etc etc. good luck. 

Thank you

Hiya Xam,

Makes note to keep away  at least an arm/leg length away  from Xam...No singing Kung foo fighting lol xxxx

Seriously I came on here thinking my Days were numbered and I saw loads talking and laughing talking about their bleeds, I was not the only one.

My Family where so loving and that is abnormal in my Family lol I didn't realise how ill I had been.

Take things slower, and if you get headaches see Doc, as peace of mind is a great thing .   I have short term memory  loss.  I knew I was getting well Sisters no longer sing to me, Hubs moans, and Daughter has gone back to "OH MUM Tut"  role reversal  ha  

Drove my hubby mad by me singing but it helped me to sing happy songs, off Key .. Good luck and anytime you feel down come on here I'll type you a song ..just kidding  !!!  Good luck and hope you go from strength to strength xxxxx  

Regards  

Win  xx  Oh my buzzing noise is my backing group now  

On 02/02/2020 at 03:43, Swishy said:

Hello and another welcome to BTG....so many of us here, each with a unique story.  I am sorry to read about what happened to you.  It is such a shock to have such an experience, my own SAH began with a thunderclap headache out of nowhere.  I also had a vasospasm 3 days later which took a big toll on me.   My SAH happened 2 years 8 months ago.  I still feel I am improving.  My event happened when I was 64 . 

Lots of great people here....glad you found us..

Jean

Thank you all for the kind words.   

We have a green room where we=me talk about all and nothing and I give vent and talk a load of rubbish but come in there one day It is green room under Forums.  Just a place to say I had a good night or a bad night or moan about family  etc ..Give vent or just write rubbish like I do lol .   Scroll down and check the date  xxxxx  Look first and see if you want to come in xxxx 

https://web.behindthegray.net/forum/9-the-green-room/

Catch you later  xx

Archived