area of bleed

Hello all

I have not posted before on where my bleed was and I have not research it either x x

letter from Hospital says

basilar aneurysm treated with coils.......

I have a small space that remains at the base of the anni and have it monitored with mri scans x x

So does anyone know what part of the brain that affects any feedback welcome x x x

love donna

Hi Donna,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilar_artery - have a look at the link, there are some diagrams.

The Basilar artery is quite close to where I had my aneurysm on the posterior communicating artery at the back of the head ..... near the brain stem and cerebellum. I was recently told by my GP, that this is the reason for my balance/dizziness problems i.e. damage to the cerebellum caused by the brain haem. http://www.umm.edu/imagepages/18008.htm

I'm no medical expert Donna, as you know, but it may be well worth your while asking the question to your GP, as to the position of your aneurysm and it's proximity to the cerebellum and whether that's why you also have a problem with balance etc.

Love K x

Hi Donna and Karen

My rupture was in front of my right ear lobe (middle right cerebral artery), affecting my temporal lobe apparently so it's left problems with loss of hearing in right ear and taste/smell problems and various cognitive issues, especially recognising people I've only seen once. There seems to be some kind of connection between the part of the brain it ruptures in and the symptoms people have afterwards but everyone seems to differ.

Anne xxx

Hi Donna

Like Karen mine was on the posterior communicating artery but on the left side. I did have a lot of dizziness and balance issues in the first 18 months. It is a lot better now but my head still doesn't like it if I stand still for too long and the fuzziness is only bad if really overtired.

Janet x

Mine was the right carotid artery (apparently the biggest artery in your body). The consultant made the comment that I sure don't do things by halves and that I was very lucky to recover and leave hospital in the time i did!

The right carotid artery originates in the neck.

Laura

xx

Hi

Laura mines the same as yours and they said the same after such a massive bleed they were surprised i survived...scary...but glad i am here and we are all so lucky. :)

I stroked on the left side....but i also have balance problems and hearing problems etc.

Love michellexxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest ElaineW

Hi Donna - mum's was a basilar tip aneurysm and coiled too. As you know mum had a six month history of vomiting afterwards and I often wondered if that was due to the part of the brain it had affected but I guess everyone is different and never really got clarification on this. From what I have read up on SAH, this type is the most common I believe!

Elaine

Elaine, from what I've read a stroke affecting the cerebellum at the base of the brain may cause dizziness, nausea, balance and co-ordination problems.

Just wish those of us that have had the stroke in this area of the brain were given the information, as to what could be affected/damaged and at least we could perhaps understand why we are suffering from these types of problems and not just told that it's our own "anxiety" etc .....

I'm going to be 4 years post SAH in July and debilitating balance problems etc still cause me my biggest headache.

Hey there

Mine's a PICA (Post - Interior Communicating Artery ) I believe but not had problems with balance or dizziness really since the initial bleed.

Hope the new pub is going well Donna - tell me the name of it and where in Heanor again and we'll try to pop over and see you.

Anne - my favourite saying is "Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light" :wink: Don't know who said it tho

TTFN

Sami xxx

Sami, I think you're getting the PICA confused with the PCA (posterior communicating artery). The PICA (posterior inferior cerebellar artery) is where my anni was/is. Medical jargon can be a nightmare to understand. The following link shows a good diagram of the arteries around the brain. I know it's Wikipedia and all that, but the diagram seems to be an accurate adaptation of the Grey's Anatomy original:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_Willis

The PICA is one of the 6 arteries feeding the cerebellum (3 left, 3 right). Although the artery was sacrificed - it was blocked completely by coiling - I don't have any balance or co-ordination problems.

Regards

Keith

Hey Doc :wink:

I'm at a total loss now as to where mine is - all i know is it's somewhere behind by right eye - going by the scans I had. Do us a favour Keith? Look at my scan on here and tell me which one it is please? 3 years on and I still know nothing :lol::lol:

TTFN

Sami xxx

I have done a bit of (non-expert) research on the location of cerebral aneurysms and most sources I can find essentially agree with the following which is from http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/252142-overview

Anterior circulation: 86.5%. These include the anterior communicating artery (30%), internal carotid artery (ICA) at the posterior communicating artery origin (25%) and the middle cerebral artery (MCA) bifurcation (20%), ICA bifurcation (7.5%). The remaining 4% elsewhere in the anterior circulation.

Posterior (vertibrobasilar) circulation: 10%. These include the basilar artery bifurcation (7%) and the origin of the posterior inferior cerebellar artery (PICA) (3%)

The remaining 3.5% of aneurysms are in miscellaneous locations such as the superior cerebellar artery and the anterior inferior cerebellar artery where thet branch off the basilar artery.

Hope the maths adds up!

There seems to be some confusion over the abbreviations of the artery names. Some sources use PCA for posterior communicating artery and others use PComA. PCA is also used by some sources for the posterior cerebral artery. Wikipedia uses PCA as an abbreviation for both arteries! :?

Posterior communicating artery aneurysms are also associated with ocularmotor pariasis (something to do with eye movement?)

Sorry for all the medical jargon. The diagram at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_Willis may help to decipher some of it ... or not :lol:

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith and well done with your research..... :)

Post communicating arteries are often associated with nerve palsies to the eyes .... that's what I had - one eyelid totally shutting and the eye muscle not working properly and hence the diplopia or double vision.

I believe that the post communicating artery is one of the most common to rupture ..... but can be one of the most difficult to clip and therefore, coiling is the preferred method of treatment and less risky ..... please pull me up, if I'm incorrect .....

K x

I wouldn't dream of pulling you up Karen. I'm no expert. We are all in this together and learning all the time.

One of the things about internet research is to be selective. No, that doesn't mean believing what you want to believe, but don't just believe something because you've read it somewhere once, as the information could be erroneous, or at best, out of date. I usually try to verify any information from at least one other different source. Having said all that, the best source of information for anyone's medical condition is their GP (sometimes!) or Neurosurgeon.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

I never mind being pulled up! :wink: Like you, I always double or triple check information, as you do need to have it verified by other sources... The internet can be a blessing and a curse at the same time ...

As for seeing and asking a Neuro Consultant the question .... then, I've never had the privilege .... will look forward to the day! ..... but will stumble around in the meanwhile! :wink:

K xx