Hello from Rajdeep

Rajdeep

Hi everyone,  Sorry I’m not much expert in English it’s my second language. 

I’m Rajdeep Kaur. I’m from India, but moved Australia in 2009. I’m 38 years old mom, have two daughters one 8 years, and younger one 10months old. 

in January 2020 , I visited to India to meet my parents after 6 years. After 20 days my life changed . I was healthy never had problems like headache. One day I was dressing my younger daughter, suddenly I felt explode in my head. 

First I wanted to ignored then again unbearable. I cried , my parents rushed me to near hospital ( in India not good systems) , doctor sent us for ct scan then sent for mri , wasted one day then referred to other city.

Again new neurosurgeon repeat tests and did angio gram . Finally they SAH premedullary cistern and tense ventricles. My parents have not much knowledge, next day I woke up with VP shunt.

Spent 2 weeks in hospital and my husband also came in India from Australia. ATM still we are in India because of COVID. 

Now headache gone , but still feeling weakness in extremities. Most of time feeling sad and depressed. I asked from neurosurgeon about removal of vp shunt, he said he can remove anytime. None of test repeat again.

My husband decided that I should start treatment from Australia. Again apologies for not good in English. 
Please share your experience..... 

Welcome to BTG. There are many threads that are useful and please take time to go through them. 
Drink lots of fluids, rest, sleep, no stress, write down questions for the neurosurgeon and neurologist. Give yourself time to adjust if you fly back.

We cannot give you medical advice but I am sure you will find the information here useful. Goodluck.

Hi Rajdeep :) 

A very warm welcome to BTG.

You are in the very early stages of recovery.  Some good advice above from Catwoman. It is very normal for your emotions to be all over the place, i was very much the same. I got very frustrated with myself. My children were grown up, i cant imagine how hard is is to cope with two young children, i found it exhausting doing the smallest of things. 

Maybe you can get a second opinion re your shunt removal when you get back to Australia. I did not have a shunt but there are members here that have and can share their experiences with you.

Things will get better, it just takes time and learning not to push too hard. Your body will tell you when you need to rest. Listen to your body and be kind to yourself. Karen the founder of this wonderful support group told me that when i first joined , Wise words :) 

Wishing you and your family well and look forward to hearing more from you. Your English is amazing !

Take care 

Tina xx

Hi Rajdeep

So sorry to hear of your bleed while you were visiting your parents, must have been very traumatic for you and your family.

I too had a bleed, 5 years ago. I have made an almost 100% recovery with just some minor deficits with memory and fatigue. I hope you manage to get back to Australia soon, I presume the health system there is better? Not sure what the Covid regulations are in either country but I am sure your husband is keeping an eye on that.

Rest, drink lots of water and try not to stress too much as it won't help your recovery.

Best wishes for a safe trip home soon.

Clare xx

Hi Rajdeep,

Hello and welcome...so happy you found this site...I found the wonderful people here to be so thoughtful and helpful as I was healing...

You have been through so much and being away from home must be unsettling.  I understand you feeling sad and depressed.  

I do not have a shunt so I can not offer any information on that.  I wanted to answer you post to let you know, there will be brighter days ahead with your little ones and your husband.  It takes time to heal a brain. 

Take care and keep us posted.  I hope you get home soon.

xx Jean

I think your English is wonderful :)

Rajdeep, 

welcome and I am sorry for your trauma but also happy you got treatment whilst visiting your parents but can understand it has been difficult , but your family must have been so relieved that you were at least able to get the help you so desperately needed and I hope having your family around you is comfort even though travel home to Australia is not yet possible for you.

take time to be gentle with yourself, no stress if you can, let others help you , eat well and allow time to rest your brain , if you can meditate or have quiet space that will help you rest your hurt brain. 

i had a SAH at 39 , I was fit and well before hand and my daughters were 6 and 9 at the time. They were scared but we were honest and they learnt to help their mum , to be more considerate and I think they have really gained something positive from their mum being so unwell. That was 8 years ago.

I have a VP Shunt placed and was told it would never be removed unless there was risk from leaving it, but for me my damage from the bleed means my ventricles were too damaged from the blood and the condition that caused it, hydrocephalus, is now permanent. You may wish to ask your current doctor team in the hospital more about your Shunt placement I think but maybe you can also discuss with medics in Australia when you are able to return.  

Do ask if you have questions 

take care

daff 

Hi Rajdeep

Gosh, how to hit you when you are on holiday! Does it help being near your parents with the kids? 

I had to go to hospital 100 miles away, and I found my recovery accelerated when I was moved to the hospital nearer home. The hospital was new and it was close by to visitors, so it really helped. The journey is awful, but was worth it. 

Your journey is much harder. Be close to where you want to be.

Good luck! You are getting better 😊 and sleep plenty 😴 

Fiona x

Hi there

Warm welcome to the site, so glad that you found us.

Wow what a time for that to happen to you home visiting with family and Covid not great....

I have a shunt it keeps me alive cant be without mine...

take things easy keep well hydrated and remember your not alone - we all understand...

take care.

Hello daff 

God is good  creator for everything. I believe that Nothing in human hands . God choose place for me and my children. My children were safe and secure at my parents home. Even though time was very hard for my parents. 
yes sure I’m trying to get rest and plenty of water . Some days I feel headache and fatigue. 

Feeling anxious related to shunt , ‘Why with me “ I was getting smooth my life just last year , had to struggle to get Permanent residents in Australia. Now I’m stuck with thisssss .... not feeling good 

Hi Jean thanks for precious words for me for brighter days with my stars. Thanks God I’m alive for my little baby, she loves me so much 💕she doesn’t allow me go away for a minute. 
hope you’re safe and well...

Hi Clare 

Glad to hear you recovered. Thanks good advice for me , sure I’ll get rest , plenty of water and try to stay stress free. 
yes it was very traumatic for my family and me . Sometimes headache and fatigue after doing small chores and feeling aches in arms.  Hopefully I’ll fly back soon in the end of June. 

Rajdeep 

Hi Louise

Im glad to find this site. I’m not alone. just trying to get myself as I’m before SAH . I want to live without shunt. I don’t know why I’m thinking 🤔 this.  Trying to take things easy and hydrated. Sometimes feeling depressed. 

Hope you’re safe and well. 
Rajdeep 

Hi Tina 

Firstly I glad to find you people on this site. We are as a family sharing our feelings and experiences. How long takes to recover??? Sometimes feeling exhausted after doing small things like dressing to children and preparing to food etc. Externally looking normal, but internally struggling a lot with body.  

Thanks for lovely wishes for me and my family. Hope you’re also safe and well. 
Rajdeep

• 1 month later...

Hi Rajdeep

i do hope you are feeling better.  I know you posted last month, but I saw this thread and was curious as to what is happening in your life.  Have you been able to go back home?

i had my bleed 3.5 years ago, and felt all the feelings you were describing.  I was hospitalized for one month, but other than slight headache and fatigue,  I wasn’t  feeling sick, but my brain was.  I had vasospasms and put on medication that corrected the problem.   My memories of what happened during that time, and before hand are vague to non- existent.  At first that bothered me, but in time I have learned to let that go.  

I didn’t have young children at home at the time ( I was 57), but I was a preschool teacher.  I had to give the preschool classroom up after 30+ years.  I still work with children, but on a one to one basis.  Change is good ( another thing I had to embrace on this journey).  Though everyone of us recover at a different pace, I have learned through this wonderful site that we all, at one time or other, have the same feelings, fears, and questions.   Most importantly we all feel a sense of gratitude to our higher power( for me God) that we have come out of this knowing that our bodies did not fail us.  We have learned to adapt to our new normal, and that is a good thing!

Personally, I have learned to listen to my body.  After 3.5 years, I still feel fatigued if I’ve over extended myself.  My short term memory has been affected, as well as my retrieval of words.  These are predominantly evident when I am tired.  I have learned to say “no” without feeling guilty.  Self care is a vital part of your recovery.  If you are struggling with depression, anxiety, fear- please talk to your physician.  I strongly believe that there should be a mental health check in as part of our recovery.

Please keep in touch, keep well and stay healthy😊

Pat

Archived