Mri scan result different to last one.

Hi:-D

I had a letter from my neurologist with the results on my scan for head neck and spine so here goes.

I have a hypointensity of the left ocipito temporal region not produced on imaging before and is felt to be an artefact..i asked what this was he said a smudge?????

The spine show some high T2 signal in the midline dorsal aspect of the cord extending from C5 to C7 and reappears at C3 it dosnt extend cranially. The posibility of a syrinx was raised included in the differential would be B12 deficiency, inflammatory disease or copper dificiency. This still does not explain her symptoms and wouldlike to send her for a lumbar puncture.

I have found out by trawling the net that a Syrinx is a fluid filled cavity or cyst.

I asked him yesterday he said it is a long line of fluid in the spinal cord which may cause my numbness and tingling in legs and arms etc, but didnt explainfurther. I have read that this could be Syringamyelia on the net but i didnt want to tell him that...i also mentioned about the pain he is going to give me Amytriptamine (spelling) for the nerve pain, has anyone had these???

I have been tested for B12 and copper a couple of months ago and found nothing wrong.

I know its a very long posting and i hope i havnt caused any problems or upset by posting this but i wondered what anyone thought????

Thanks

Michelle c xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Michelle

I take Amytriptilene in a low dose for the nerve pain in my head and have done on and off for the last couple of years. In between I did try other types of treatment but the Amytriptilene seems to work best for me, it is an anti-depressant but used in lower doses can calm certain types of nerve pains, Hope this helps you.

Hi yes i have taken amitriptyline and they are brill for getting you to sleep makes you very relaxed, However about a month ago Merrill my wife (sah march this year ) was put on them 25mg and they made her very anxious and very very spaced out they reduced the dose to 10mg and the effect was just the same the rehab clinic suggested that Merrill be taken off them it took, about 3 days for her to get back to how she was before taking them, but it's fair to say that i know of several people who have taken them and they found them to be beneficial to them. Good luck Rod

Hi Michelle, My brain is not yet fully in gear so I will try to understand the findings of your MRI later;-) Probably much later;-)

I am on 10Mg amitryptaline at night, I have it to help with pain ( nerve trapped in arthritic neck/shoulder joint)and to help me to sleep. It does and no real worries this is a very low dose. It sounds as though your consultant is at least trying to get to the bottom of your problems. Good Luck:-D

Hi Michelle

I am on 30mg of amitryptaline every night for nerve and muscular pain. I find them very good and they also help you sleep. The only downside to them is that they make my mouth very dry, so dry in fact that people have commented on my speech (doesn't happen that often). I buy lozenges in the chemist which are basically artificial saliva and if my mouth dries up I take one, you can get them off prescription. Hope this helpls.

Cheers

John

PS I don't think they should be taken in day as they make you drowsy which may affect driving.

Hi

Thank you, you lot are soooo supportive thank-you.

Well lumbar puncture done later than expected but its done, the nurse hit a nerve in my right foot it sent electric shock to my toes VERY strange feeling she did say it may happen the anaesthetic was soooooooo painful straight through to my belly button..the nurse kept saying yes yes thats it:shock:.

Neil bless was holding my hand and half way through he went a very yukky pail/grey colour panic!:shocked: he looked awful bless him i was thinking if he passes out what will we do...he didnt thankgoodness...he was brave he hates needles and blood:redface: Electric shock to my toes heel and calf of my right leg as the needle came out again weird sensation.

I was supposed to come home with a script for amytriptalene but alas it wasnt written out....now theres a surprise....home and lots of rest.

we had a terrible time trying to get the secretary of neurologist to fax a letter telling my gp to prescribe amytryptaline by friday YES friday she had faxed it through i later found out that the neurologist has now gone on leave for two weeks and so has my gp not together i dont think:lol: and the only pain relief i had was a day of codeine but was told to take pregabalin which caused a reaction last time but i had no choice and the weekend was horrible ii had the same reaction to pregabalin so went on codiene that i had left, i couldnt hold my head up despite drinking loads....it set off my other pains so was laid out most of the time unable to move or open my eyes nothing took it off.

Monday came still in pain off to the doc and the locum wrote out a months supply of codeine and to increase my amytriptaline to 20mg after a week. PHEW!!! Why oh why couldnt my gp just give me them last week.....my mum was so upset when she saw me she cried...I dont like to see her upset and worried.....even though i had all the pain i am so glad i am here and alive and taking each day as it comes and have the help and support from my family and you guys...sorry for such a rambled posting and sorry for sounding a bit pathetic sometimes my life seems so complicated.

I think i have gone on enough, thanks for reading.

Love luck and laughter

Michelle c

Hi Michelle, i bet your glad thats done and dusted. Us men are like that you know all macho untill the needles come out, oh! spiders thats another thing, but seriously when you stand by and watch someone you love have any sort of treatment it brings it to the surface again,but he held your hand and that's wot we do, so well done to him and good luck to you both, Rod

Hi Rod

Thanks i know you're right neil is a lot more sensitive to all emotions even more so since the SAH/stroke as probably you are aswell, i feel so lucky to have him by my side through all of this, Merrill will feel the same too about you how lucky we are:-D:-D:-D:-D

Love and hugs to you both.

Michelle c

Hey Michelle, what a time you had poor Neil, but what a time with the meds docs and stuff, mind time before last I was in they lost all my paper work & I'd been in all day too so had to wait 3 hours till they found it before they'd let me out.....

I hope things are easier now.

take care

Hi all.

I am just wondering i know it says amytriptaline takes 4 weeks to get in your system but has anyone noticed that the effects start to happen earlier i have been having my paracetamol and codeine during the day as told by my gp and the amytriptine at night but the head/eye pains are not easing...help please??

Love luck and laughter

Michelle c

Hey Michelle

I'm no expert but I found that the codeine actually made my headaches worse - they can cause an analgesic headache. Might be worth talking to your GP about it if the other meds don't help. I know its different for everyone but then codeine doesn't agree with everyone either.

Hope it all settles down and the pain does go.

Hi Janet and Sami,

Codeine and seperate paracetamol was the only combination plus morpheine that worked on me in hospital although the morph dosn't last long, they did try a edinburgh cocktail on me which included peppermint verrrrry strange they tried that twice and it didn't work...anyone had that one????

Well tonight will be my fifth night on 2 amitryptaline the first couple of nights i was quite aggitated today although still having to take para and codeine during the day i have been quite active( more through annoyance:roll::wink: and maybe overdone it so probably will be paying for that tomorrow my arms are quite bad at the mo anyway i had better stop rambling now...

Thanks for your replies:-D:-D.

Love luck and laughter

Michelle c xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Michelle

The codeine can cause a headache if using them for to long which is why I stopped them completely a couple of years ago. I only use the Amitriptylene and paracetol. The codeine used to give stabbing pains in the back of my head.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.