SAH - Living with the changes!

It came as a huge shock when I returned from the land of SAH and what it can do to you. I had suffered mine on the 9th November with the syptoms not being very clear to my medical team until the CT scan showed the major bleed and then I had one annurysum which they coiled by passing a guide through my groin. When this had settled I then began to suffer with my brain being pushed down because of excessive fluid. This meant I had to have a shunt inserted in the top of my head. The drain was fed down into my stomach.

All these comments that I have put down so far are probably nothing unusual to most people. To me it has left me amazed at what has happened, the shock of four operations on my head. But like all the people who post threads I am very lucky to be alive and am well aware of that.

Since I came out of hospital things have been different, I am concious of what happened and this makes me think about every twitch, headache is this the normal situation, does anybody else suffer this problem. My memory of the illness is blank, all my information comes from my family who went through it with me. This is hard, not remembering anything, but that is perhaps not a bad thing.

This is my first post and I will write again later.

Hi John

Welcome to the site you've come to the right place to help you with the answers to life post SAH. What you're feeling at the moment is very normal and something that most of us have been through. It is quite natural after such a traumatic event to worry at all the different twinges and pains that you feel. Hang in there it does get better with time just try to listen to your body and take as much rest and fluids as you can as this will help with the headpain. Look forward to hearing more from you. Take care.

Hi John

Welcome to the site and to the family.

I agree with Janet - and you're very early in your recovery. Everything will feel strange and really quite scary at the moment and it is perfectly normal to be anxious and scared.

There's a wealth of experience, advice, comfort and support on here and I hope that we can help you through this tough time.

Hi John and welcome it's a huge thing thats happened to you and will not only affect you but the whole family, but in time things get better and you will learn to take it all in your stride and it gets easier to deal with, my wife had a shunt fitted which she found uncomfortable to lay on at nights for a while,but as time goes on you you will forget it's even there, so good luck with your recovery and best wishes Rod

Hi John :) a very warm welcome to you.....as the others have already said, what you are going through is perfectly normal....i remember feeling exactly the same. I still cant remember alot of my time in hospital even 2 yrears down the line.

It is still very early days for you, just rest up loads and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Love Tina xx

Hi Janet,

thanks very much for your quick reply and kind words. It does feel very strange at the moment because you feel as though you are analysing everything you feel and think about. I am sure it will ease off as time goes by.

Will send a few lines to my other new friends now thanking them for their replies. Take care Janet will speak again soon.

Hi Sami, it was amazing to get such quick replies from people. Last night was my first negative evening. Spoke to my wife and daughters because they went through the experience with me and obviously saw me at my worst.

Today is another day, if I could just improve my eyesight, I have been left with double vision and it is driving me mad.

Thanks once again, will speak again soon.

Morning Rod, thanks for your reply yesterday, funny you should mention your wifes shunt, mine feels strange because the skin is so thin and it is right at the top of my head. Mine is itchy a lot of the time. It does feel strange due to its location but I am sure it will ease off.

Hi Tina, nice to hear from you with your kind words. It does help to have all the members knowing we have been through similar experiences. The obvious thing for me is that it is only a couple of months ago, and everything is so new. You mention 2 years down the line and you still have gaps in your memory. So a good while for me yet.

Take care,

John

Edited by bogbrush
Multiple posts merged

Welcome, i too was coiled and have a shunt which i dont think about now, dont remember my 2 months in hospital, think it was harder for my family! mine SAH was 18mths ago, the first year was all a bit hazy, it has got better even though I did have to retire! I have more good days now.

You take care and PM me if I can help in any way

Caroline

Hi John

Warm welcome to the site.....

Yes all seems perfectily normal, you are very early in your recovery.

I have a shunt & tube that drains fluid off my brain into my stomarch too, my memory is still a big blank gap about it all, and yes I was SO concous of every twinge but as time passes that gets easier......

take care and one day at a time.....

Hello John and welcome to this site.

I remember early on being very aware of every pain, tingling sensation, headache and wondering if this was another SAH coming, but I have not had another and don't even notice these things now, 2 and a half years along the line.

Take Care of yourself

Vivien

x

hi john

sorry im late coming in on this thread well done on your recovery so far my lin had a shunt placed in march of last year and i would think the itchiness will be down to the suture site recovering your just up the road to me were you treated at stoke maybe the family would like to post here as well because they went through it with you so to speak but from a different prospective and it might help them understand what you are going through just take one day at a time and good luck to you in your ongoing recovery

Hi Paul,

yes I was treated at Stoke, thankfully they saved my life. You are probably right its the suture site. I will see if my family want to post, it is good to see partners posting as well as actual SAH members. Each day is different, done more this week and feel more tired.

Thanks for your comments will speak again soon.

Cheers John

Hi John,

My SAH and aneurysm coiling was only in Dec 09 (4 wks ago yesterday) so I am also early on in recovery, but I did not have to have a shunt.

I can empathise with the fact that every twinge, tingling, headache, neck ache, numbness, chest pain, etc .... feels strange and quite worrying!

Although I did not have a shunt my head does feel 'tender and sensitive', especially when I am tired and also after I have slept. I believe it is the brain healing itself post-op.

Each day is different. I can feel really good some days and then wake feeling really down other days. I do manage to lift myself out of the down times though with the help of friends and this site. Although I have not posted many items on here, I do read a lot of the tips and stories and gain help and guidance, and an insight to what I can expect over the coming weeks and months.

Like you I feel glad that I am alive, and I have not suffered too much post-op side effects and I know I am having to take each day as it comes now.

You take care and speak soon

Kelley x

Hi Kelley,

thanks very much for your comments. It does help to have feedback when you raise a point. When people you do not know take the time to write to you it gives you a big lift. I am glad you are on the mend and like you say it is very recent and the Brain needs time to heal. I hope everything goes well for you. Take care will speak again soon.

Cheers John

Hi John,

sorry but have not been in for a few days to read new posts, welcome to your new family on here. everyone tries to help when you have a question or problem and also encourages you when days are a struggle.Yes it is hard at first and each day as it comes is the best way forward. so keep smiling and be positive and you will get through it all

take care

carol