Balance problems

Has anybody with balance problems/dizziness gone through a car wash after a SAH? Yep, I know that it probably sounds like a weird question! :wink:

I did yesterday (for the first time) and it wasn't at all nice, as my brain couldn't seem to fathom, whether the car was stationary or whether I was moving with the machine .... never going through one again!! ... I ended up having to keep my eyes shut, when the rollers moved towards me ... I was certainly completely out of my comfort zone and felt pretty grotty with the motion ... how ridiculous is that.... luckily, I have quite a strong stomach, but felt rough!!

I've experienced the same feeling on a car ferry and staying in the car .... have done that two or three time post SAH, but still experience the same type of feeling and that the car is moving with me in it, rather than the ferry .... it's so weird... I never had any problem with this before the SAH.

Just thought that I would mention it, as I know that my cerebellum or the part of the brain that controls balance/co-ordination has been affected.

I sometimes wonder, whether I've completely and utterly lost the plot!

Hi Karen, Merrill has what the rehab clinic call high level balance problems and we've been through the car wash lots of times and merrill say's that it has no effect on her, but i must admit i often feel like i can't decide whether the cars stationary or not i think it's all a bit sureal at times

Hi Rod,

Well, perhaps I'm just hyper-sensitive post SAH, who knows! .... but, it's good to know that you experience similar Rod .... However, I wont be going through it again! .... will be getting out the Fairy Liquid, the hose and using some elbow grease! xx

I have balance problems and continuous dizziness that are so bad I have to use a walking frame. I walk as if I am drunk all the time unless I have support. I find if I am somewhere where there is movement round me it makes me worse so I don't go anywhere when it is busy because of movement passing by me.

When I travel I have to keep my eyes on a fixed point, the same as when I am walking about, that does help. Also looking left and right makes me so dizzy I find it almost impossible to cross a road and for this reason I am not allowed to drive.

It is as if my brain can't catch up with what my eyes are doing.

I was led to believe that it couldn't have been the SAH that caused this and it was my existing medication that I have taken for years, I was not convinced because prior to the SAH I had no problems.

Reading other peoples experiences, I am now sure that my problems are due to the SAH regardless of what the medics say.

I wouldn't even dare go through a car wash unless fixing on a focal point would help and that I can't say unless I tried it.

Hi All

Don't have a problem with car wash but do have problems when walkng. Sometimes I trip up on the gaps between paving slabs, also I sometimes walk as if I am drunk. I have seen my GP and he more or less said I'm stuck with it though my neuros phoo phoo it. I use a walking stick quite often for both the side effects of the aneurysm and arthritis. I've got a neighbour who felt ill and dizzy after watching the film "Avatar" in 3D so we are not on our own. By the way brilliant film!!!

Cheers

John

hi karen & all

guess it's a bit soon for me to comment although i walk like i'm drunk at the mo lol.

i don't know what it will be like in a few months. i went out to the shop with my partner just by our house a couple of nights ago. i felt ok but felt i was walking like someome very drunk i couldn't walk in a straight line, bit scary but im glad i can have a laugh about it : )

Hi,

Well, it's good to know that it's just not me with the balance!

My walking still isn't brilliant and I have a tendency to walk a bit like a toddler .... When I'm experiencing fatigue with my normal dizzy spells and sight problems, then it's even worse. Things have improved, but I still find that weaving my way in and out of crowds, quite hard work and frustrating, I still avoid shopping on a weekend and tend to go out when it's less busy, often in the evening.

John, my daughter suffers from dizziness after watching 3D films, so I think that's something that I will definitely avoid!

Hi

I haven't been through a car wash but I I find I can get terrible nausea if we travel anymore than 15mins. Living in the country we have to travel to Edinburgh (35miles) to shop for anything other than food, and I'm very dizzy by the time we get there. I can't have the radio on and actually have used an eye mask to block out the passing images (obviously I'm not driving!!)or I have to close my eyes for ost of the journey. Last year my youngest sister got married on the west coast of Scotland, a 135mile drive. By the time we got to the hotel my head was spinning. I was still very dizzy the next day, the day of the wedding. The service was at 4pm in the hotel and I didn't get out of bed until 2.45 because the place was spinning and was back in bed by 10pm that night. It was horrible, it was like being on a ferry crossing in really bad weather. I felt as though the floor was moving.

I get dizzy at physio when I do the neck excercises, I have to move my head from left to right for 10 reps and have to close my eyes when doing this. I sometimes close my eyes just turning around to stop the dizzyness. I also can't walk at any pace other than slow or I find i start to get dizzy. I didn't realise how slow I was until back at work, I'm always way behind everyone going to the canteen for breaks!

I wondered if it was because my left vertebral artery is coiled and maybe blood takes longer to get to my brain but maybe not reading how others are afeected.

Liz xx

My husband has had dizzy/balance problems since his SAH last July and if anything it is getting worse.

It is especially bad when he tries to get out of bed. He gets to a sitting position and then usually falls backwards and when he manages to get stand up always sways about quite a bit. Certainly cannot leap out of bed anymore!

The doctor has tried him on a couple of different tablets, but they don't seem to help at all.

As mentioned on another thread, I am so worried about him going back to work because he does quite heavy manual work that involves going up ladders, using electric saws, etc, etc and I know he just couldn't cope with it.

Hello Karen,

I don't tend to take the car to a drive through wash because my car radio ariel would snap off. I'm a jet wash or sponge and bucket type of person. But I do appreciate the sensation may feel weird for anyone with or without having had a SAH. If your balance part of your brain has been affected its no wonder your very sensitive to this.

I tend to get car sickness now when I am a passanger in a car and I feel dizzy when I am in the lift at work. In the early days while rushing around at work I would knock into doorways and be very clumsy and uncoordinated. Its rather funny thinking about it but a little embarrassing when leaving a roomful of people.:crazy:

Anyway, I agree best to keep clear of machines which jolt you around.

Very best wishes,

Hi Karen and all :)

Like you i suffer with balance problems and dizzy spells..........i have not been in a car wash.....dont think i will either lol!! I had to sit in the back of the car as i used to feel really weird and as if things were coming at me....that happened in early days with cupboards opening. I could not judge things well at all...kept banging into things and misjudging. " years down the line this has improved alot....but have bad days....especially when tired. Also certain lights set me off....its really scary. Mel i know what you mean lol....but best way is to laugh :)

Take care

Love Tina xx

Hi have just been reading some of the answers to this thread and putting what i've read with what Merrills consultant has said Merrill has what he calls high level balance problems, trouble with her speech and gets dizzy when she goes outside and he said this is all due to slow though process and when she used to go out in the car she would always get very tired which at first i did'nt really understand but the car is travelling much faster than you would walk and everything she saw as we went along the brain had to process and he said she was just taking too much in too quick he suggested a blackout be worn when travelling and although this may sound extreme it did make things better for her and usually after a while she would just doze off, don't try this when you're walking though lol!