Coiling help

Hi Saffy

I had my emrgency coiling op back in december following SAH, but I am panicking about the follow-up angiogram I will have to have in December this year (no date as yet) ...so I can sympathise a little with you being anxious about your coiling op coming up. The unknown is scary.

It is hard for anyone to understand how you feel, if they have not been through anything like this before. Just keep chatting to everyone on here, and hopefully you will gain some comfort from our messages. Maybe you could show your family this site and ask that they try to empathise with your anxiety and fears.

Like John has said, it is not normal to not be scared about having an operation.

Take care

kel x

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Saffy

Sorry to hear to your having a down day but it's completely understandable.

I had my coiling done as an emergency and was in so much pain I would have agreed they do anything to me. But saying that, I was terrified on the morning of the op. I'd had an angiogram on the Monday, but was so full of pain killers and all sorts of drugs, that I really didn't and still don't really remember all of it. But what I do remember was that the coiling was easier because I was alseep. One jab to the hand and then 9 hours later being woken by a nurse. I was told that legally he had to go through everything with me, even though I said I didn't want to know and he had to tell me about all the risks too. Even this year when I had my follow up angio, I was a bag of nerves. When the nurse came to book me in I burst out crying after only a few questions but it was so much easier than I had anticipated.

But it must be really hard waiting for the op, whilst to all intents and purposes you are actually well. But you're family are doing their best and keeping positive, which is what they have to do to cope.

But we are always hear to listen and help as best we can. I really hope the time starts to go by quicker for you.

Take care.

Liz xx

Aw Saffy, sorry your having a rotten time.

Well only thing I can say is tell them how you feel, on saying that, you'll be fine & stop worring is probably because they dont know 'what' to say really and may not know that its a bit inseneive.

Like others I didnt wait, which I think is far better believe it or not.

we're here when you want to let off steam....

take care, big hugs

So sorry that you are having to go through this waiting period and feeling like you do, I know it just drags on so slowly and the nearer you get the worse it seems to be - that's just how it was for me anyway. I don't think anyone can appreciate how you feel unless you have been in that situation. Don't worry about the tears though, I think that releases some of the tension a bit- I was still in tears right up to the op, so it is quite a natural thing to do.

However, as I have probably said before, the relief when it is over is absolutely wonderful and that is what I would suggest you try and focus on - just keep telling yourself "I can do this, I will do this, I will be fine, they have performed this hundreds of times, if Sarah can do this so can I!! I think you will be pleasantly surprised how normal you feel afterwards. You certainly wouldn't find anyone more nervous and anxious than I was, yet having been through coiling twice now, I don't think I would worry nearly as much if I ever needed my other aneursym coiled. I am sending you a very big hug and an imaginary boquet of flowers!

Take Care,

Sarah

Hugs Saffy! When I had my bleed in February and was taken to Queen Square, they said they would do the cerebral angio while I was awake but I told them how nervous I was and they said "we need you to keep still for this, so we'll do an anaesthetic". Bliss! I just had to lie back and let them get on with it :) Like Liz, I was so unwell I would have let them do anything to me, but I'm terrible when I have time to ponder an upcoming treatment, so I completely sympathise.

Take care and keep talking to us!

Thank you all so much for your messages.....you have really helped me......i am normally quite a strong person ...especally since my sons illness and passing...i thought i could handle anything after that...so this has come as a shock to me...i suppose it hits home how precious life is...ive also been trying not to take the sleeping pills dr gave me...but last two nights have taken them and at least am getting some sleep...they are very mild but dowork ...any way thank you so much for your help and concern.....love saffy xxxxx

Hi Saffy...glad you are getting some sleep...it will help xx You take care...try not to worry...i had two angiograms whilst awake before my craniotomy....the staff are very good at reassuring you. I did not find it painful,wishing you all the best. Love Tina xx

Edited by Tina

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone......well 5 days to go before i go in hospital (as long as they have a bed ...which terrifies me if they say no bed )but am trying to stay positive....its bad enough waiting for this op without the worry about beds...i am doing ok and what i didnt say was i smoked ...but i have gone 8 days not smoking so am very proud lol...managing to do it under this pressure...am i a clever girl or what lolol....anyway hope you are all ok and will try and pop in here before i go in.....love Saffy xxxxx

Hi Saffy

Congratulations on giving up smoking! Best thing I done 3 yrs ago, and yes very good with the worry about your upcoming op, but stay strong.

Hope that bed is there for you.

Kel x

Edited by bogbrush
Coloured text removed

Hi Everyone......well 5 days to go before i go in hospital (as long as they have a bed ...which terrifies me if they say no bed )but am trying to stay positive....its bad enough waiting for this op without the worry about beds...i am doing ok and what i didnt say was i smoked ...but i have gone 8 days not smoking so am very proud lol...managing to do it under this pressure...am i a clever girl or what lolol....anyway hope you are all ok and will try and pop in here before i go in.....love Saffy xxxxx

That's brilliant about the smoking Saffy, as they do say it's not good for you! Good luck with everything - I'm sure it'll be fine. The doctors know what they are doing...

Hi Saffy

Only five days, I hope all goes well, I'm sure it will. Well done you, 8 days without smoking, with all that your going through! I've never smoked but seen some friends really struggle to give up but they got there in the end!

Take care

Liz xx

Hi Saffy, hope the bed works out for you in 5 days,it will be good to put it behind you and start getting over that, well done on giving up smoking very hard tried a few times myself but when it comes to will power, for me it's in short supply, Best wishes Rod

hi everyone.....oh boy the nerves are starting to kick in...3days to go....you know the worst thing is this wondering if theres a bed...you'd think its bad enough knowing youve a bomb in your head but for them to put you through the worry about a bed to me is all wrong..surely this shouldnt be like this....re the smoking 11 days now....at least i wont get the nagging from the drs lol..take care saffy xxxx

Well done with packing up smoking Saffy .... my goodness, if you can stop whilst all this has been going on, then you've certainly got great strength!

Sure that you are worried, only natural to be worried! Must be difficult to concentrate on anything, as you lead up to the day. Hopefully, this time next week, it will all be over and done with and you can start to move forward with life.

Wishing you the very best of luck and will be thinking of you.

Hugs...xx

well they rang this afternoon and cancelled my op....im gutted ....she said i should not eat tuesday and ring them for chance i can go in.....so lots of tears and im so angry...i really feel they shouldnt be allowed to treat us like this....they say stay calm ...watch your blood pressure then do this to us....i know once this is sorted ...im going to look into the way we are treated....saffy

Hi Saffy,

A few people seem to have their op cancelled due to bed/staffing shortages or people that are admitted through an emergency .... I also probably pinched somebody's coiling appointment, when I went in after having the SAH. I know that it must be extremely frustrating for you, but please do try to stay calm.... you're doing really well....

You may still be able to go in on Tuesday .... try to take each day as it comes for the minute ... you will get the op done .... wish that I could say more, but am thinking of you .... I would also be climbing the walls!

Hugs to you xx

Hi Karen......i think its really strange they rang me up at 4-30 to-day (friday) my daughter then rang the number i was given to ring on tuesday and no answer...and its a bank holiday weekend....i dont feel its because of an emergency and i would have accepted that....i think its because its a holiday and someone maybe shouldnt have given me bank holiday monday as my going in date ...but i will get to the bottom of it as its a very cruel thing to do and very unprofessional...but thank you for thoughts ...saffy x

Saffy, sorry to hear you are being messed around, but it could be that they have had an emergency, although I too would be sceptical about it...as you say there was no answer.

I do hope it happens on Tuesday for you, the waiting game is not a nice one.

Take care over the weekend and try to think positive and remain as calm as you can,

Kel x

Could well be because it is a bank holiday, I forgot about that! I had another scare a few years ago and was admitted a couple of days before the Aug bank holiday Monday and they wouldn't carry out scans or lumbar puncture until after the Monday .... well unless I thought that I was going to die on the spot (not quite the words that they used, but you get my gist!) they wouldn't bring in any staff to man the scanner and that's basically what they said to me! .... so yes Saffy, you could well be right! xx

Hi everyone....well ive had a lousy 3days.....cant settle...mind all over the place...then keep bursting into tears....how i have stopped myself going out and buying some cigs i dont know...or even hitting the bottle...im not a drinker but boy i feel like being one at the moment...how do you cope with this...sorry thats not fair i know most of you have had or having it worse....i just feel so down....ive been crossing the dates of the calendar for weeks and all for nothing and in all honesty cant see me going in this week...will i be on a list im terrified i,ll be forgotten ...id better go...forgive me for ranting but i feel theres only on here i,ll be understood saffy xx

Hi Saffy

keep calm and stay positive

The neuro dept at Preston will do their best for you

I was there in February after my SAH and they are a very busy dept as they take admissions from all over Lancashire and the lakes too

There is every possibility that there has been an emergency and they have had to delay a few admissions

When I was ready for discharge there was a lady next to me who had come in for coiling whose slot was taken by an emergency admission. She had to wait til the following day before she was seen

I know it is very frustrating when you are worrying so much but the neuro dept would not put you at risk intentionally so will treat you as soon as possible

But if somebody arrives at the hospital already bleeding then unfortunately the people who are awaiting admission have to be delayed

You are being very brave stopping smoking through this stressful time so just keep strong- I believe that there is every possibility that the delay caused to you may have actually saved somebody elses life

Wishing you all the best

Di

xx

Evening Saffy,

I'm here, wishing I could be with you as I know how horrible it is to have this op cancelled at the last minute and I would not wish it on anyone. They won't have forgotton you though, although it feels like being left in limbo. If they don't ring tomorrow, it might be worth giving them a call, or getting your daughter to and explaining how you feel in the hope that they put you as priority and perhaps give you date.

I vaguely recall ringing my consultants secretary regarding a date for my coiling at one point (it must have been after I got the original letter saying I needed the coiling) and I was given quite a few dates to choose from for when it could be done, so it may be worth checking with them - might just give you a bit more to go on rather than feeling left in the dark. They may of course still take you in this week -things can change so quickly - when I finally went in, there was still no bed for me on the neuro ward so I was put on the epilesy ward the night before and went to theatre from there, then later a bed became available on neuro so I went there for recovery - I hadn't been there long before they moved me again because they wanted the bed for someone who was deemed to be more in need than myself - things are moving all the time so don't loose hope yet - I think they try, but they don't think to inform us, so it gets very frustrating not knowing what's happening. Hope you get a good night's rest tonight, will keep my fingers crossed.

Sarah

Hi Saffy,

I'm really hoping that you've got the worse of the waiting over with now .... you can rant and sound off as much as you need to on here .... there's always somebody listening...

All I can do, is send virtual hugs to you ..... and hope that they admit you very soon.

Thinking of you xx