Coiling help

Hi Saffy, well done on making a decision, so glad your doctor was helpful. I can tell you about my own experience, though I'm sure it's different for everyone.

My 2nd aneurysm was coiled without having ruptured - I spent a couple of days in hospital afterwards - mostly to be monitored, as I didn't feel any discomfort or anything. I did take it easy for a month or so afterwards, although compared to the coiling which was done post-SAH I didn't really feel the need to, but I'd been given some time off by work, so I made the most of it.

Given that it will be your first (and hopefully only) coiling, you might well find it's a lot to get your head around (excuse the expression, it's the only one I can think of :P) and you may well feel very emotional afterwards - I certainly thought an awful lot about the first one, but with the 2nd I felt mostly relieved, and quite relaxed.

I used to imagine that I could feel the coils moving, but in all honesty I dont really think you know they're there afterwards. I know how scared you must be feeling though, for sure :) Sorry to burble on a bit, hope that all makes sense, and like I say - it's just my experience of it all.

Ask away with any other questions you have, we'll all try and help to answer them.

Thanks for updating us all, take care, love Blondie xxx

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Blondie....thank you so much for your message....its really helped ....i feel i would rather know whats coming than wait and see....its also comforting to know people can get through this ....thank you again...love Saffy xxx

Hello Saffy,

Glad to hear you saw a nice person who explained everything today. I know you will be worrying about it, but it doesn't seem to be too far away. If you had chosen not to have the coiling, I feel you would have been worrying for a lot longer, so that's one positive way of looking at it. I can only speak from my own experience and although I have had a coiling operation twice, the second one would be more like yours as it was without the heamorrhage. Following this coiling, my head felt absolutely fine, I do not know how long the procedue took, but apart from being a bit tired from the aneathetic I felt perfectly ok and normal. I don't recall any discomfort at all, but others may have a different story to tell. I had it done on a Wednesday and was out on the Friday. I think it is a good idea to rest afterwards as and when you feel the need to. Best to drink plenty of fluids too, (they will make you do this after the op anyway). In the weeks leading up to the op I was very scared, so I think it is pretty normal how you are feeling, but when you have had it done, you will feel so much relief, I'm sure. You will get looked after very well in hospital and there is always someone around to ask any questions. I even had another patient consoling me the night before the op, as I was in floods of tears! I was also offered something to calm me down on the morning of the op, so I took it without hesitation! Don't forget you can come on here and ask as many questions as you like - I really do understand how anxious it can make you feel.

Best wishes,

Sarah.

For what it is worth my opinion is that you have made the right decision. It would be like living with a time bomb in your head causing you constant worry. There is a lot to be said for ignorance is bliss. Many of us didn't know about our aneurisms until they ruptured causing a life threatening event. In my case it left me disabled and you wouldn't want that, that is not to say the same would happen to you if it was left untreated.

Reading the above it seems very harsh so sorry but it is only what I think.

Hi Saffy, i think you have made a wise choice i know, with the little bit of knowledge i have gained during Merrills last year that would have been my choice, must seem ages away for you at the moment but it will soon go, Best wishes Rod

Hey Saffy

Glad that you've made a decision - it should ease the stress now that things are moving positively forward.

I can't feel my coils at all - I have nine of them spread between two joined anni's. The thought of them in my head forever used to make me feel uncomfortable but no I hardly ever think about it.

thank you all so much for your replies....you have all been a real help to me....i'm seeing my gp on monday for my blood results (i am diabetic ..tablet only )so am thinking of asking for a mild sleeping pill ...as im struggling sleeping...i'm not to bad with this through the day ...but at night my thoughts go haywire as you all know and have gone through...you all seem so positive and that really helps....just need to get my date now...then the count down can begin ...thank you again....saffy xx

Hi Saffy

I have just had stent assisted coiling(23/2/2010) and the support from the group is fantastic.

My GP was very supportive prior to admission and continues to support me now.It is an emotional roller coaster or was for me anyway .

You Take Care and take all the support offered there are a few sites that will allow your family to watch the procedure if the need to understand more .

I am off work for a few more weeks and some of that is tiredness and some is the emotional enormity of the complete process.I did have time off prior to the procedure but that was stress related as I too was unable to sleep .

LaankaX

Hi Saffy

I hope you have some relief from making the decision, wel done, and it's not too long away. I think you're right in speaking to your GP and hopefully you will get some help in easing your anxiety at night.

I have 9 coils in my verterbal artery and aneuyrsm. The artery is completely coiled off. I used to get pressure at the base of my skull and I thought it was the coils but I was told that it was the healing process. That pressure lasted for about 4 or 5 months. What I was told was that the coils would find somewhere to settle and they have but I am not aware of them at all. I recovered very quickly from the procedure, it was the recovery from the bleed that took longer. I was "clinically well" after 5 days post procedure and was discharged home, althought my hospital stay was 12 days in total.

Take care.

Liz xx

Hi Saffy and a big apology from me, I had not seen this thread ( I think that I must have been coming online in my sleep!

I'm sure that you have done the right thing, I am another of those who did have an SAH and later was told that I needed a recoil, as mine had misbehaved. It is a tough decison to make and you have obviously got courage and made the decision to go ahead. A wise one, we will all be thinking of you when you go in, and I promise that the coiling is no problem at all, an SAH is quite another matter. I have a second anuerysm which is being monitored but believe me when the experts say to me 'time to coil, Perry......I will be there like a shot:) My thoughts are with you

Hi everyone....hope you are all well...still waiting to hear from hospital....will wait till wednesday then its two weeks since i went to see consultant if ive not heard i will ring up to find out whats going on.....im up and down with emotions....just for curiosity does anyone know what it would roughly cost to go private...my dr gave me a mild sleeping pill...but last three nights ive managed without as i dont want to get hooked lol...this is so hard isnt it living with as i think off as a bomb in my head....oh well take care all...love Saffy xxxx

Hi Saffy,

I know waiting to hear from hospitals is never very quick - I don't think they can realise how anxious we all get while waiting. It is a roller coaster ride with emotions - not helped by the fact that you are struggling with sleep too. Unfortunately I don't have any idea how much it would be to go private, so can't help on that one - although I used to type up reports in a medico-legal practice and I think the staff used to just ring a hospital to find out the cost of operations etc, so it might be worth enquiring when you ring the hospital on Wednesday or at least they may be able to put you in the right direction.

Take Care

Sarah

Hi had a fright on monday.....had a bad dizzy spell..ended up in a heap on the floor ..hubby sent for ambulance and ended up in a&e....but nothing to do with my aneurysm.thank goodness but boy was i scared....they gave me a good going over....still dont know what caused it....anyway found out yesterday that my coiling should be in about 6 weeks.....so feel a bit better ....terrified of course but at least its not months off.....hope you are all ok ....love Saffy xxx

Hi Saffy :) Sorry you are not feeling so good....agree with Kel, maybe all the anxiety and worry.....glad you have found out when you will be coiled, hope you get a date soon.....rest up and take care, love Tina xx

Hi Saffy,

Hope that you are feeling better... x

Some things are just unexplained, but as the others have already said, perhaps it's a combination of anxiety and stress due to your present circumstances. However, it's always wise to get yourself checked out and never worry about being a nuisance to anybody.

It's good news about the coiling time scale and just try to stay as relaxed and stress free as possible over the coming weeks. I know that it's not easy! :wink:

Thank you for your replys.....its strange ive only been on here a few weeks ...but you are all helping me more than anyone......went to drs to-day as felt really off yesterday again and they think its my blood pressure coming down alot...as they upped my pills last week ...he said because my body isnt used to bp being lower than its been for a while.. could have caused the dizzyness...so am taking it easy...have a good weekend xxxsaffy

Hi Everyone.....well got my date...3rd may....not sure how i feel...relieved that its only 5 weeks away....but scared stiff at the same time....what have i to expect...think id rather know...any advise will be most welcome....love saffy xxxx

Hi Saffy,

Well, that's good news! ... What are you to expect? ... well, I remember nothing after being put under the anaesthetic and the surgeon and staff were all very good humoured and playing music in the operating theatre, before I fell asleep. I believe, that you will probably only be in hospital for a couple of days and then allowed home ...?

I didn't feel anything physical after having the coiling, albeit it a bit drowsy and having some weird dreams! .... but, would imagine that's the affect of a having a general anaesthetic.

It's natural to worry, but try to keep your stress levels down and once you've had the coiling done, then it will give you some peace of mind and you will be able to move forward with your life.

Wishing you all the very best Saffy and hope that you're managing to grab some rest and relaxation. xx

saffy

im pleased for you i think i know how you feel but try not to worry too much impossible to say the least but try you will be back on here later telling us all done and dusted thinking of you just try and get some more pampering under your belt hugs and cuddles sweetheart

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.....well 3 weeks to go ...ive struggled this week....feeling pretty down...feeling teary alot.....may be putting on an act for family ect getting to me.....i know they love me ...but i think there being ostriches......"stop worrying" ..."you'll be fine."...yes well i hope i will...but im scared.....and its going so slow....how do you cope with this....sorry being negative but i know you'll understand...hope you all are doing well...saffy

Hi Saffy,

a fellow Prestonian, I was born in Broadgate many years ago.

It is very normal to be scared. I have had three angios while I have been awake and was nervous every time but the hospitals and staff are experts at what they do. I had my final angio and coiling in December asleep of course. It gives me piece of mind to know that it has been coiled and I had no adverse effects at all. I like to think that if you were not scared then you would not be normal. Anybody in their right mind given a choice would not like to have an operaton. Anybody who likes operations is crackers. I have every belief that you will be fine. But waiting is terrible, you just want the date here to get it over with. Keep talking to your family or friends and take care.