Misleading Article

Hi All

I refer you all to an article in today's Sunday Mail dated 30.10.11. in the Review Supplement headed "The tiny coil of wire that saves thousands from a stroke

It gave me the impression that coiling was just a walk in the park and the lady states " The pain just went I felt tired and needed a week in bed, but after that I was fine" she also states that she has been given the all clear and her health is back on track

Did I have the same proocedure because after five years I am in no way " back on track" nor would it seem are many of us on BTG. I don't think the lady concerned intended to leave that impression but if I were someone looking in from the outside having an aneurysm and then being coiled is no worse than having a bad tooth removed.

I am glad I've got that off my chest and one last query is a ruptured aneursym a " stroke" as stated in the title ?

Cheers

A rather upset John

Apologies to overseas members I do not know how to hyperlink article

Edited by ninja

The significant clue here is that you read this article in the Daily Fail, sorry Mail.

It's a very right wing, reactionary paper and my only surprise is that the article doesn't seek to blame brain haemorrhages /strokes on asylum seekers or benefit claimants.

It's a truly awful article, in an awful paper. Boycott it - reading such stuff will not help in lowering your blood pressure!!!!

Lynne xx

I read that article online last night and thought the same thing!!!

Makes the rest of us who aren't having a 'walk in the park' only question ourselves all over again! What's wrong with me? That lady only needed a week in bed and then was fine. Here I am a year later still struggling and didn't even need coiling. The article trivializes the frustration and monumentous effort required by most to get back their lives. The article told one story and the writer should have expanded. Good for that lady, I wish we all recovered and bounced back that quickly.

Sandi K.

Hi

. Yes Lynne I agree with your comments about the Mail, I just wish these reporters would get their facts right but they seem to get away with it and cause frustration and worry at the same time. I can bet you now that there will be somebody I know will comment on this article saying words to the effect " There you are you can't be that bad look at that woman in the Mail " I hope I'm in a good mood that day, needless to say the paper is in the bin.

Cheers

John

Edited by ninja

John hun,

I very much understand your anxiety. It is very frustrating when people express shock at the pace our recoveries, especially the sentiment that the recovery should somehow be complete. Most of us here have 'incomplete recoveries' and we will never be the same again. I do become upset when people try to cross reference me with other people who have recovered from their illnesses, with the expectation that I should have recovered to the same extent.

I know where you are coming from.

I still remember the time when someone expressed shock that six months after my SAH that I had not returned to work... :shock:

Two years on and I am still battling with that one.

I get very frustrated with some of our newspapers, (Mail and Express being the biggest culprits,) with the way they talk about benefit claimants. Obviously I am sensitive to that one given my circumstances, but their reporting on such matters is factually inaccurate and I feel confident to say so because I work as a volunteer at the CAB.

It is frustrating to read inaccurate articles in the press, particularly when we know how real life circumstances are different.

And if someone tells you that the 'woman in the Mail' has recovered faster than you, just ask them if they believe everything they read in the newspapers..:wink:

Big hugs,

L xx

Hi again Lynne

You definitely know where I'm coming from. I'm going off topic a little but due to my aneurysm and other problems I am in receipt of certain benefits thanks to CAB and have to reapply early 2012. When you read certain articles in paper it aggravates your concerns but I tend to switch off now.

Never mind perhaps the X Factor will cheer me up:-D:-D now I'm really sad still the missus likes it!!!

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I have just read the article on-line. She was clearly a very lucky lady and escaped the devastation of her bleed causing any type of brain damage anywhere on her brain!! She does say (I think) that she had immediate surgery? Maybe that type of immediate care in her area is the answer - personally I had surgery 2 days later - maybe that's where the difference lies?

In answer to your original question about it being a 'stroke', I only found out nearly 2 years later that I was classed as a 'stroke' patient. I was angry & devastated at this but am OK with it now. I believe it's called a heamorragic stroke (I still can't spell that).

She was clearly a very lucky lady if she recovered after a week in bed - back in the real world, recovery is a lot slower and sometimes that 100% miraculous recovery just doesn't happen. Permanent brain damage, for some of us, appears to be exactly that - PERMANENT.

The bin is the best place for it (along with a pinch of salt).

Michelle

Edited by goldfish.girl

Don' t be hard on this woman, she was one of the lucky ones.

If the Mail wishes to intemperate this as some kind of medical breakthrough, so be it.

We all know the truth about recovery and no amount of journalistic hyperbole will change our reality.

It's nothing to get excited or annoyed about.

It's just the monthly " Cancer cure found! " story that grabs the headline for twenty minutes.

In fairness to her, she mentions tinnitus and loss of taste, so she is not claiming total recovery.

This kind of reporting is unhelpful to the thousands of people who do not recover as quickly as this woman did.

Good for her! She did really well.

Maybe she could come onto this site and share the secret with the rest of us.

We all know the hard , cruel ,truth.

Third nerve palsy, tinnitus, fatigue, double vision, headaches, etc, etc.... it's not a miracle cure, it won't save you from stroke, it's just the newspapers'

way of grabbing attention with, recycled, medical announcements.

Daily Mail, if you want stories to fill your "medical advice section" come and talk to people who have plumed the depths of depression or soared to new

heights of recovery.

We are are all here , come and talk to us!

The current drive on benefits reduction is the motive for this kind of article.

There is a cure! Problem solved, everything is fine, no need to worry, the doctors have come up with a solution.

Back to work in no time, no need to claim.

It's not the woman's fault, and when she finds us , she will become one of us, and will be horrified at the misrepresentation of her condition.

Many of us on this site have needed to spend years on the process of rebuilding our lives.

For many of us, it's an ongoing project, that may have no ideal resolution.

Extreme examples make for good copy, but bare no relation to the shared experience of the majority.

I think I can speak for most people on this site.

We are all hard working people, struck down , in our prime and robbed of our livelihoods.

We crawl back to employment the best way that we can.

No miracle cures, no, new, medical fix, just mechanical repair, followed by years of adjustment and acceptance of the new reality and

mutual support.

We all know the truth.

We live it every day.

Please forgive this woman, for she can not have known the interpretation that the "Mail" was going to put on her story.

Tomorrow's chip paper, lost in litter.

All the best.

Bill B.

Hi John,

Thanks for highlighting this piece of literature, which sounds like it has been made up or misunderstood.

Well said Bill! :thumsbup:

Having been coiled 7 days post-SAH I can confirm that I do not feel I have 'recovered' 20months later... but I do look okay - so I am told by many - so therefore I must be okay :roll: If only they knew...

Kel x