I've had both an MRI & an angio, don't know of a combined one though?

MRI is painless & just noisy more than anything, you can take your own music if you want but you will have to remove any metal jewellery or clothing . The Angio is done through your groin & again totally painless although when they inject the die into your brain you do get flashing lights behind your eyes. For me the worst bit was the pressure on the entry site to stop the bleeding which took ages for me & I bruised quite badly. I fwould say if you are having an angio take some socks to wear cos it was freezing when I had mine. Do tell the staff you are nervous as they will be used to dealing with nerves

I found with both the thought of it was worse than the actual scan.

I had an Angio-CT and it was as described above. Cold.

I also had an MRI and it was loud even with the earplugs. It also seemed to take forever, but the technician kept reassuring me every so often. If you tell them you're nervous, they will really help you out. I had morphine on standby because I was so nervous...but didn't need it at all.

Good luck!

~Kris

Gill, MRA is the MRI with the angio being the dye put through the arm which is a lot easier than the angio as you dont have to lie for 4hours after....

Cath its scarry because you havent had it or dont remember having it done, but it'll be fine and you can tell others once you've been....

hope your doing well today...

Hi Cath,

I had an MRA a few months ago. As the others have said, it's noisy but not painful. They do give you ear muffs, but if you have your own earplugs i would recommend using those in addition. The angiogram was done through my arm as Louise has said, so I didn't have to lie flat for hours afterwards. When you are there, try to find out how you will get your results and when it will be. I didn't see anyone on the day (except the radiologist of course) and it was 5 weeks before I was sent a letter.

Hope you get on ok, come back and let us know.

Dawn x

Cath,

I had MRI scan the worst bit was my botty wouldn't fit the slide thingy lol as I put on weight ha ha my bot was over the edge lol

The worst bit is waiting for results....I was" hello posty any mail for me?" but what you have been thru MRI is a doddle.

I kept eyes shut and nearly fell asleep lol

Good Luck and try not to worry xx easier said xx I cannot remember angio xx

Love

WinB143 xx

Edited by Winb143

Hi Cath,

I'm quickly losing count of the MRI/angiograms I've had - I think its two angiograms and 3 MRI's with another MRI due in July. I remember being very anxious going for them both the first time - I think it's the unknown that makes us worry.

Yes, the mri machine is noisy and the length of time in can vary - I've had a 10 minute one and a 40 minute one. Obviously you have to remain very still throughout both procedures, but I think for the angio they strap your head down to avoid movement. I would have been fascinated by watching the monitors, but being very short sighted I never saw a thing. They warn you if and when they inject the dye and I'm sure they will explain how it might feel, but it's ok as far as I remember. I'm sure you will be fine, just remember it'll soon be over. Yes, don't be alarmed if you don't hear anything within the timescale they give you, I was told last year I would hear something in 10 days - it turned out to be 45 days!

Best wishes,

Sarah

Hi Cath,

Try not too worry too much. The MRI you lay flat and there alot of noises around your head. Don't go in there with a headache. I had one 2 months ago after work and head was pounding.

The angiogram is a little weird as they usually are injecting dye. You may feel some tingling in your face but they warn you. I was nervous too but afterwards it was no big deal. If you tell them you're nervous they're usually nicer to you. If the angio is negative you'll be happy too. Good luck.

David.

Hi there I had an angio and MRI there was no pain but I did have a big bruise for about six weeks after but even when I pressed it there was no pain it was a visible bruise rather than painful try not to worry you will be ok. Jess.xxx

MRI is painless, I rather enjoy the relaxing part of just laying there. It is noisy but it does not bother me, they give out ear plugs. My first one many ears ago I did not know I was clastrophobic but I was able to talked myself down and was fine. I did my Lamze breathing or yoga breathes. I now request a towel over my eyes. I have no idea how many I have had but it has been at least 7 or 8.

Good Luck.

Hi Cath,

Welcome to BTG!

I have very hazy memories in the run up to my sah and the week that followed but I do remember bits of the angio even though I was pretty much out of it.

I remember being told to stay as still as poss, the person doing the test talked me through it, he told me that one test it would feel like my face was on fire, and it sure did. I also remember the flashing lights. A very strange experience! I also remember that they pushed down on my groin for what felt like ages.

I don't remember my early CT scans.

I had an MRI in December last year, I was very nervous but the support I got from the guys on here was fantastic.

As others have said, it's cold, wear thick cosy socks!

I also found it mega noisy. They talked me through it, advised how long each test would take. I had my head and neck done, was in the scanner for 58 minutes.

I felt very tired afterwards. Personally I found it a struggle but just kept telling myself it was an important thing that had to be done.

Sorry if this seems a negative response but I'm giving you my truthful thoughts!!

Good luck.

Take care,

SarahLou Xx

• 1 month later...
hi everyone Im cath a new member. i have to have a mri angiogram on the 23rd and am dreading it , any experiences anyone want to share .

thanks

Hi Cath i have uploaded some pictures of my MRI, they can be found in the albums section, its very noisy, you are given a headset and they talk to you, also you can buy the scan as well, i have its brilliant, ask before you go in if you can buy it, its not morbid but curiosity that made me buy mine good luck and get well soon Mike xx:-D