Sleep post SAH/Stroke...zzzzz

It would be really interesting to know, how much sleep everybody has post SAH/stroke........do you find it easier to nod off or worse than it used to be?......do you need more sleep than you used to have or less? It seems to be quite common that people have difficulties post SAH/stroke with their sleep pattern...

Like most people, my sleep pattern was all over the place following SAH. You couldn't really call it a pattern ... more like random snoozing. The feeling of overwhelming tiredness could come on quite suddenly sometimes. It was probably about 3 months before it got back to anything like normal and I still needed a short nap in the daytime on most days.

I've never been one to need much sleep and generally 6 or 7 hours a night is enough and thats how it was pre SAH as well, so apart from the lack of sleep during the last couple of weeks due to my bad shoulder, I guess you could say I'm back to normal and I don't have any problems nodding off - especially in the armchair in the evenings!

Regards

Keith

Guest Hannah

Hi, my mum is still at the stage where sleeping just isn't a problem.

In fact I think she may be morphing into a cat.

Typical pattern, up about 8-9, breakfast, visitor, lunch 1-5 sleep, dinner, chat, sleep 7.30-8-9....so averages about 17hrs sleep. No problems dropping off either

Take care

Hannahx

I find that I need more sleep post SAH, the first couple of months after I used to sleep for a couple of hours in the afternoon and go to bed about 10 p.m and sleep right through til at least 8 a.m.

Now I don't nap during the day but have to go to bed before 10.30 at night need at least 8 hours sleep or feel awful all day. Before SAH I could manage on a lot less sleep.

Janet x

Hi Karen and anyone else reading.

Heather is what I call a sleep monster. She can sleep anywhere, anytime and seemingly for an infinite length of time!!

Before her SAH she slept a normal working mums pattern, up early and bed early usually around 10 and up at 6. These days if it wasn't for my kness, feet and elbows in her back I believe she would never get up. Once up I drop her off at her mums she has a nap around 8 am- 9am. When she gets home she will curl up on the sofa for a nap whilst watching Jeremy Kyle of all things 10 am- 11 ish. Later in the afternoon she will nap, 1-3, before collecting Louis and sometimes she will nap early evening around 6ish. Usually gets to bed around 10-11 and is then up around 6.

Her pattern has definatly changed!!!

Anyway take care all.

Andy

Guest Cathy

Hi,

I sleep more now than what I did before SAH. Tiredness sometimes just seem to take over. Because I work I am shattered when I get in. The first thing I have to do is have a catnap to try and give myself energy to carry on for the evening. The weekend and Wednesday when I don't go into work I go to bed at 10.00 and wake at 8.00. I have noticed though I am a very restless sleeper which I wasn't before, I can wake up a dozen times very frustrating. :roll: My family have a good laugh at me when I say need to have a snooze but hey ho :lol:

Mollyx

Hi,

I definetly need more sleep, but have noticed that I wake up quite a few times during the night and it's extremely rare for me to go through the night without waking at least once...

Periods of vivid dreams are also quite frequent and even though I wouldn't classify them as nightmares, I do tend to have to wake myself up from them.

The comments here are quite interesting.....

I wake up in the night at least once. I wonder if that's just me getting older? I had some very vivid dreams following SAH, but I don't get them now.

Strange thing, since I went back to work over 6 months ago, I haven't needed the alarm clock once. I'm always awake between 5 and 6 ready to get up. (see time of this post!)

Regards

Keith

Guest Firefly

:cool: I am awake!! It is 1:00am here, I haven't been to bed. I slept off and on all day. I had severe insomnia the first year no matter what sleep aid my Dr. tried? I seem to cycle where I sleep a lot for days and then have insomnia again?? I think it is the brain trying to re-wire?? :P

I too suffer from severe & vivid dreams!! I wake myself up talking or acting out what I am doing??? It is wild!!!! :? Part of it might be the med's we take??

We are night owls Bog!! At least I am not alone!! :wink: Tricia

Guest 6shooter

Its seven weeks out now and I've just got more worn out. I still can't stop waking up at night, it's like clockwork and I feel shitty every time I stir. My brain has got a bad habit of waking me up exactly three hours after I go to sleep and tries to keep me up. I read about it on the internet, these sort of injuries causing damage to the part of the head controlling the circadian sleep rhythm and body temperature regulation. I get overheated and tired preeeetie easy now since the goods got damaged LOL. 6shooter

When I first came home from hospital I was on anti siezure meds so I would sleep all day if you let me then when I came off them I found it harder, now it all depends on what's going on, I have a good couple of days then pow!!! can lie awake for hours, it's a vicious circle.

:roll: Louise.x

Hi there

I sleep a lot more post SAH and still, 9 months on, need a sleep most days. This can be anything from half an hour to 3 hours if I'm allowed! I can go at max 2 days without pm sleep but then seriously need to play catch up else I could be had up on a murder charge! And it's still that uncontrollable urge to sleep that you can't ignore.

At night I am going to bed much earlier, generally, usually around 10pm and get up at about 8am but I will have woken at least once, usually 2 or 3 times, in the night which I never used to do. I also have a lot more vivid dreams than I did before.

Definitely loads of changes in lifestyle post SAH! :roll:

Sarah

Hi Guys.

I used to sleep loads before, now my sleep can be very disturbed. If I am over stimulated before bedtime, i.e just have friends who visit late etc I will be awake till about 4.30am ish I find it difficult to shut my brain down.

In Ireland I took Sleeping Tabs for a week. Its has helped regulate pattern a bit better. I def need 1 nap in the afternoon though, 1-2.5hrs.

Aine xox

• 2 weeks later...

Initially I just slept most of the time. I came out of hospital after 10 days and could easily sleep 18 hours out of 24.

I have had periods of incredibly vivid dreams too Karen - sometimes I dont remember them, I just feel unsettled. I was scared of the dark for a while too, though I blamed that on getting used to the lights being on all the time in the hospital.

Andy H - lol, I now watch Jeremy Kyle religiously if I am not at work, though I wouldn't have watched him pre-SAH. Same with Neighbours - am hooked.

I'm not sleeping so well at the moment, but I think that's because I'm struggling a little at work, and am a bit anxious about it? I do tend to wake up at least once during the night, but I usually go straight back to sleep again. I like to nap too, and if I feel tired - no chance of me staying awake.

Pre-SAH I would stay up too late and only have 4-5 hours sleep - I was always exhausted. And like Keith - I dont need the alarm any more, I'm just awake a few minutes before it goes off - very strange after struggling to get up in the mornings for years.

• 4 years later...

I'm actually after some answers on sleep. I was very tired when I first came home (SAH end of Jan) and would sleep for 8 hours easily - but for the past few weeks I just can't seem to sleep the same. e.g from recall the last few days sleep has been:

Thursday 4:30am-10:30am

Friday 5:30am-11am

Saturday 5:30am-9am & 8pm-10pm

Sunday 6:30am-8am + natural sleeping remedy taken at 4am

It's now 12:48am Monday morning and still don't feel like sleeping but I do want to sleep :-( ?

I'll have to start juicing lettuce to help with sleeping if things don't sort themselves out soon. :crazy:

Nic

x

I got up at 4 am the last 2 days and am Shattered by 7am , zzz time ...No way I get ready in case anyone takes me out...decaff anyone ?

Close eyes at night ~ I sleep okay but feel uncomfortable I lay on arms pins n needles set inl...Then !! hubby wakes me up by telling me I am snoring....I am the one who lays there whistling to stop his snoring ...lol

Okay I do zzzz sometimes

Think it's age thing that wakes me up lol

Rest All

Best wishes

WinB143 xx

hiya Nic,

my sleep pattern was exactly like yours for months and months. I felt really desperate! I went to my GP who said that this was normal after sah and that I should not take anything to help, not even herbal stuff. He told me that my sleep pattern would reassert itself eventually but that the more interventions i tried the less chance i had of it returning. Well, I listened to that for 6 months and then we went out and got some herbal remedy. My GP was most put out. But i was getting more and more tired, I get 'stuck' and this was getting more regular, my speech was suffering too, I sounded like I had a stutter. I've actually been sleeping ok since i bought the herbal stuff, but the same day my GP gave me some 'one a day' antihistamines and these make me sleep too. So, like a very naughty patient, I mix my drugs and get about 9 hours a night now, bliss....

Hope you get some sleep soon,

Dawn x

I'm actually after some answers on sleep. I was very tired when I first came home (SAH end of Jan) and would sleep for 8 hours easily - but for the past few weeks I just can't seem to sleep the same. e.g from recall the last few days sleep has been:

Thursday 4:30am-10:30am

Friday 5:30am-11am

Saturday 5:30am-9am & 8pm-10pm

Sunday 6:30am-8am + natural sleeping remedy taken at 4am

It's now 12:48am Monday morning and still don't feel like sleeping but I do want to sleep :-( ?

I'll have to start juicing lettuce to help with sleeping if things don't sort themselves out soon. :crazy:

Nic

x

During the time my anni inflated & it being diagnosed I was given amytriptaline & this was the only way I got any sleep. I slept a lot in hospital too which is very unlike me as I don't usually snooze during the day, at night I had the amytrip too. Last time I was in hossie they gave me sleeping tablets & they just didn't work for me as I am a light sleeper generally & hospitals are so noisy.

When I was discharged I carried on with the amytrip but nit taking it every night. I still managed about 12 hours & then would sleep during the day too. Its only been the last 10 months or so my sleep pattern has been erratic, this concincides with not needing to sleep during the day. As my brain has got more active I find I sleep less. The anti d's I'm taking are sedative & I still take the occasional amytrip if I have a run of not sleeping well. When I was ill I tried all sorts of tablets & nothing worked, I was feverish & dozed more than slept. Now I'm feeling better the sleep is better although I had a bad night last night & was still tossing & turning at 3am, I took an amytrip then & slept until the alarm went off at 7am.

I have heard that its very common for sleep patterns to go crazy after any kind of brain surgery but no one can explain why. Short of taking sleeping tablets or amytrip the only other thing that should help is excercise. If its affecting how you feel & carry on during the day I would speak to your GP but herbal tablets work for me too sometimes.