Positive impact of of pets and animals

Just thought I'd start a thread on this as I am convinced that being with animals in my recovery has been beneficial for me and wondered what others thought.

When I came home from my length stay in hospital my dog came running out the front of the house as I was helped from the car and just leant against me making small huff huff sounds...tears aplenty. From that point on he has helped me as I took my first steps, accompanied me on my first solo outings and sat patiently as I cried into his coat. The cats , never lap cats, have taken sitting as close as they can and then there is the horse. My daughters ride and as soon as I was well enough I started to go alongside sometimes and then do a little more to help. The energy of being with the horses has been amazing, I don't ride, I have no inclination to but these massive animals are so gentle with me and the energy and peace I get from being with them is joyful. Someone said its because they force you to be in the present moment...whatever it is it about them I'm sure it has helped

• Like 2

My other little girl who we sadly lost in the same year as my SAH welcomed me much the same and hardly ever left me for the last few months of her life. As you she was the one I cried to and told all my concerns. She was such a comfort and it broke my heart when we had no choice but to let her go.

Our new little girl we got about 1 yr after my SAH gave me a reason to get up and go, I have to go out no matter how ill I feel. She also senses my moods and is supportive by cuddling up and looking at me in a certain way when I feel at rock bottom. She listens to my moans and always seems to understand. Besides all that the house is never empty so I have company.

I can holy understand the pet thing honest  I can although we don't have any (Ronnie's family always did tho) My cousin had a King Charles - Hamish I loved the little guy, when I got home and Linda visited him he'd just sit at my feet which was very unlike him he was normally a misile around the house, so when Linda asked us to look after him when she went on holiday I though oh yes - wrong having him 24hrs a day for 2wks OMG! that just shattered me to distraction.

But yes he did sense my mood and I loved him visiting but for me it was just too much looking after him, yes he gave me reason to get up and go out but sometimes I'm more a danger when out when tired so it wasn't all that good...

thanks Daff you made me remember a cute little guy Hamish is now chasie bunny's in the blue yonder...

• Like 1

I wonder if it's because they ask nothing from us? There is no pressure, no real noise, no brain-drain with animals. It's one of the reasons I stick with my bird ringing. It's very peaceful, I thoroughly enjoy it and it was a huge achievement to progress to my next license so I feel that it helped with my recovery.

My landlady has a collie, I've known him since he was a puppy and I love him. When I leave her house he makes little noises - he's not a barker, it's more like he's talking to me. I could cuddle him all day if I had chance. In the early days, she would take me with them for walks which were very short to begin with. So, I guess you could say that he helped in my recovery.

Totally agree - our Springer Spaniel, Buddy, is as mad as a box of frogs but he knows when I'm unhappy or stressed and plonks himself on my knee and demands to be fussed - I'm sure he know that he always puts a smile on my face and he has a cuddle with me each night before I go to bed.  I really don't know what I'd do without him, bless him.

Daffs

Good thread xx

As you know we lost both our dogs Cassie  and Sadie pup (who was 11 lol ) within a year of each other.

We have got another dog, she needs training but is a sweetie who likes our laps and goes berserk in the mornings

It is lovely to have a dog to stroke and love again. (She is white with tan markings and pink nose, not the prettiest but she chose us).

She has freckles like me (brown marks).

We still miss our Cass and Sadie but this one needed a home xx  

She is our 4th rescue dog, and the love they give outweighs the heartache.

Be Well All

WinB143 xxx xxx

Hi,

My pets stayed by my side from day one.

They would lay in my bedroom with me all day. I was alone throughout the day a week after I came home so they comforted me. They saw more of me than anyone did.

They saw me cry, pray, beg, sleep, fall, struggle; you name it they saw it. Thank goodness they do not speak. They keep my most haunted secrets.

I love my animals. :)

Iola

• Like 1

My cat died January he was here before I had the children before I got with their dad and before the sah and I was always so glad I had him.

He used to sit with me after the sah when kev was out never left my side loved that cat xxx

When i first got out of hospital I slept a lot and somehow my cat used to sleep across the back of my head or as close to it as possible.  I used to think that's so strange my bleed was at the front so why is he always sleeping at the back of  head?  However it was my drain that had been fitted to the front of my head and it wasn't until many months later that I found out my bleed was indeed at the back of my head, cat was right all along!!  

Did he send healing vibes I wonder, we'll never know.  Strange little creatures cats.

(Recently lost my cat he was wonderful and helped me through this))

• Like 1

I totally agree with Dawn, it is because they ask nothing of you. People, in my experience, all seem to have an opinion about what we've been through whether it's been asked for or not.  If someone or something is really irritating me (which is frequently at the moment!!), I just grab the lead and off we go, no need for conversation other than the doggie kind and no brain draining thoughts or replies required - just peaceful bliss until I've calmed down and feel ready to head for home and back into the real world again.

I wouldn't be where I am today in my recovery without the comfort and love of my dog, of that I am in no doubt.

Sarahk

When i first got out of hospital I slept a lot and somehow my cat used to sleep across the back of my head or as close to it as possible.  I used to think that's so strange my bleed was at the front so why is he always sleeping at the back of  head?  However it was my drain that had been fitted to the front of my head and it wasn't until many months later that I found out my bleed was indeed at the back of my head, cat was right all along!!  

Did he send healing vibes I wonder, we'll never know.  Strange little creatures cats.

(Recently lost my cat he was wonderful and helped me through this))

my cat started sleeping wrapped around my head, i think he most likley was healing you : )   so sorry to read you have recently lost your cat ) 

• Like 1