Mild hallucinations/live dreams?

Hello! I'm brand new to this site and I'm very glad that I found it. I've already had a lot of my concerns alleviated by finding out that many of you have had the same experiences. I have one question though. 

To be brief, about two weeks ago, I was in the morning exercise class at my gym when I suddenly got a  bad headache. I found my way home, where it turned into the dreaded thunderclap headache, followed by some vomiting and absolute misery.

I thought about calling emergency, but then decided that maybe it would just feel better the next day. I assumed it was a migraine although I'd never had one before. The next day, I had my husband drive me to urgent care, where they said that it was a migraine and gave me a shot   which didn't work.

Therefore, I made a same-day doctor visit the next day. She also told me it was a migraine, but that I looked pretty good compared to how ill she is when she gets migraines. (Eye roll) She gave me a strong prescription for some kind of barbiturate, aspirin, acetaminophen combo. Then she sent me on my way.

That didn't work either  so the next day I had my husband take me to ER. The GateKeeper doctor made me feel like I was complaining over a headache. (:I'm sure it's just a headache but we have to do the CT scan. The CT scan will show us whether you're having a migraine or you're bleeding from the brain.") In any case they did a CT scan and discovered the SAH, non traumatic. They don't know the actual source. I was in ICU for a day and in a step-down unit for about a week. They've since sent me home to continue my recovery on my own, though I do have a follow-up appointment scheduled in a couple weeks.

Okay so that was my rant,  but here's my question. When I manage to drift off  I sometimes find myself dreaming things physically. For example, today, I dreamt that I was trying to open a Ziploc bag. Then I woke up and realized that I was pulling on the blankets like they were the actual bag. Or I dreamt that I was reaching for somebody, and then I woke up to find my hand in the air as if I were trying to touch somebody next to me. I remember my father used to do this when he was dying from brain stem tumor. I know I don't have a brain stem tumor, but it kind of freaks me out to see that I'm physically acting out things  when I'm half dreaming.

Does anyone else have this kind of symptom, and if so is it normal? Does it go away? I realize that I'm a complete newbie having an SAH that's only a couple weeks old. Thanks for any insight or help you can provide! I'm so glad that I found this site. It can be kind of lonely out here.

• Like 3

Hi Mindy :)

A very warm welcome to BTG. Glad you found us.

Thank goodness they finally did a CT scan, so often we are mis diagnosed !

To answer your question, in the early days I used to have very vivid dreams and also used to twitch and sometimes jolt myself awake.

You are as you say in the very early stages of recovery and your brain is working over time to recover from the bleed.

Make a note of all the things you are unsure of or worrying about and take the list with you to your check up in a couple of weeks.. 

Try and rest up as much as you can and drink plenty of water.

You have certainly come to the right place to find lots of helpful information and lots of friendly caring support :) 

Take care Mindy and let us know how you are doing.

Tina xx

• Like 5

Hi Mindy,

Welcome to BTG.

As Tina says, it is really annoying when doctors just assume it's migraine.  Not only are they wrong but the consequences of mis-diagnosis are potentially lethal - literally.  So well done you for repeatedly going back in.  You can't afford to be timid.  Anyone who has experienced the dreaded thunderclap knows they are headaches like no other and that it is something likely more serious. 

You don't need a doctor to understand you need help and you are right to expect it when you go to the hospital.

I think in the early stages, our brains are doing funny things and many of us experience strange 'dreams.'  I think that's our brains trying to re-connect and find new ways of doing things that it did in milliseconds before.  Sometimes it gets it wrong and hence the strange outcomes.  I had a few of those and they seemed very real, and I took some convincing that they weren't when I woke up.

I think in the early stages you shouldn't be too alarmed at this sort of thing.  Hopefully over time it will settle down.  As Tina says, stay hydrated and rest well.

If you overdo it then your body has a way of telling you and sometimes I think odd dreams can be part of that consequence.

I wish you well,

Macca

• Like 1

Hi Mindy

Wecome to BTG, you have found the right site for advice, understanding and friendship from people who have been through 'it' There is always someone on here if you need advice, a rant a moan or a shoulder to cry on

When I first came home from hospital my dreams were horrible I dreamt  that I was being really violent towards other people (punching, kicking etc)They were horrible dreams, you could not meet a less violent person than me I don't have them now,thank goodness,  I guess after the trauma our brains have been through, they have to do a bit of re wiring.

Take good care, drink plenty of water and come to BTG whenever you need to 

Love Jan xx

• Like 1

Hello Mindy

Also a very warm welcome to BTG.

So glad you found the site so early in your recovery and it`s great that already you feel it has been a help and support to you.

As others have said, that initial diagnosis can be so delayed by GP`s and doctors not realising the immediate seriousness of that `headache`.

How is your husband and family ? The whole episode must have been very traumatic for them too.

Please be prepared to give your brain and body time to recover.  Everyone on this site will tell you the same.... don`t try and make it `business as usual` too soon.

Please keep in touch about your progress and your concerns.

Subs

• Like 1

Hi Mindy, welcome to BTG.

I lost my ability to dream after SAH at least I think I did, it could be I just don't remember dreaming.

After about 1 year I started to have very vivid dreams and used to wake my partner during them, they were so real.

I'm nearing my 3rd year and i don't have them now, i think Jan was right about our brains needing to rewire after the trauma.

Like Tina advised write it all down and ask doctors when you have your appointment.

In the meantime drink plenty of water and make sure you have plenty of rest, it's still early days for you,

You have come to the right place for help and support, the recovery road can be a bumpy one, thing's do get easier as time goes on.

Good luck on your recovery journey.

Love

Michelle x

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!

The hardest part after the pain is understanding that this is a big deal. Maybe because no cause was found, it's easier to write it off as just another one of those things that will fix itself soon. 

My family is doing okay. My husband has been awesome, and he is even taking FMLA (family medical leave here in the US) for a while. We have two boys, 7 and 9, and we're just trying to keep things as normal as possible for them. Extended family and friends have been helpful as well. 

My work has  been extremely supportive too, so I'm lucky there. 

Thanks again for the welcome! 

• Like 5

Thanks Mindy for your reply

Good to hear that your husband and your two boys are coping fine with what has happened to you, and also your extended family.

Considering a return to work is such an important decision for you to make. It`s early days for you. Don`t return too quickly.

While everyone is different, fatigue is a common factor, and returning to work too soon will make this all too apparent.

Take time to find out how you are recovering and take advantage of your employer`s supportive attitude to have a phased return when you do eventually decide to go back to work.

As you read the posts on this site about returning to work ...........you will find that there are very real challenges depending on the nature of your employment and the stresses involved. It is much better to phase that return slowly rather than find that you become exhausted from too many hours at work. too many hours.

Wishing you well as you face the days, weeks and months ahead.

Subs

• Like 1

Hi Mindy,

I had no dreams like Michelle once I awoke from dreamland, but they have returned now .

Always write down about the things that happen to you as I cannot remember 5 mins ago xx

Wishing you well and drink water as you have already been told and try not to Stress as stress is a no no xx bad for us !!

Now singing is good for us and keeping away from doom and gloomers, we need laughter in our life not others troubles. 

I don't mean that rude but you need calm and no stress around you, so give yourself a break and get well at your own speed xx

Take care of yourself xxxxx

Love

Winb143 xxxxxx

• Like 1

Hi Mindy and welcome. I had the twitch myself awake thing even before my injury. Usually when I'm trying to kick a ball or yell at someone.

When in ICU I watched a football game on TV and it seemed to be in slow motion. I then made a note to ask my doctor if I might be getting superpowers.

While healing we go through strange things.  I wish you all the best in your recovery. 

• Like 2

Hi,

First and foremost its your brain and your head that hurt and people that have never gone through this have no clue what pain is.  I like to compare it to a bat being slammed against your head.   Makes me so frustrated when I read stories like yours and Drs.  do nothing about it.  Thank goodness they did the CT scan to properly diagnose you.   Step off soapbox. 

Are you on any meds right now?  I was on all sorts of crazy meds and seizure meds (preventative measure).  I had wild out if this world dreams and I still swear to this day an angel spoke to me.  Was as real as someone sitting right beside me but could not see anyone.  Did not recognize the voice but whomever it was said it would be a long hard haul but I would be okay.  Nothing elaborate or music filled.  Pretty simple. :). Sometimes simple is best.

Weirdness comes and goes and your brain is trying to fix itself right now and may be tapping into subconscious thoughts. Find and rely  on a good neurologist to help you.  They can be tough to find that specialize in your unique bleed.  Most will be surprised you are alive and sitting across from them telling your story. 

Iola

• Like 2

Thanks, iola! I was on meds that probably contributed...Flexeril and Norco, and also Xanax as needed. I've weaned myself off them the last couple of days as I've been doing okay. I do take them if needed, I mean. (At first, I set my clock in anticipation of the next med.) Anyway, my dreams  are more "normal" now. 

I go back Thursday for my first follow up with the Neuro since coming home from the hospital. I do like him; as it happened, my husband recognized him from a NYE party, lol.  We have a friend who it's a Neuro at a different hospital, and I guess the local Syrian neurologists all hang out.  :-D Anyway, I was lying there on the gurney,  about to go in for the CT angio, and they were chatting like old friends. :roll: Erm...helloooo? Still, I feel like I'm in good hands now. 

• Like 3