headaches

I know it is normal to have headaches just wanted to know how bad they can get........ mine comes and goes and so does the pain and aching in my neck.....

I am wanting to try and come off my tablets soon but must admit i am worried about the headaches getting worse and starting to panic me more........

How did you guys get on ?

Hi Donna

At first i always took pain killers, then i stopped and only took when really bad, but thats me.I still get headache and neck pain, and if really bad would go back to hospital. I have found it is telling me to rest and i have done too much when i get the neck and top of back pain. You will know if the pain is really bad, because you cant fuction at all. It is still early days for you, do as your Doctor advises, it will get better!

Love Tinaxx

Donna, don't get stressed about coming off the codeine ..... ask the Doc or your Pharmacist for an alternative .... you always need to explain to a Pharmacist that you've had a SAH .....Codeine can sometimes induce a headache, if you're taking too many and you can become addictive, which will then cause you another problem, so don't use the Codeine as a crutch .... I find that normal Paracetamol in the capsule form is pretty good and remember to keep yourself hydrated and also ,drink plenty of water when you take your painkillers. Your GP will be able to recommend a painkiller for you, but Codeine should only be used on a short term basis.

As Tina has said, make sure that you rest up ...... the headaches will eventually lessen .... you're still early days ....

Hi Donna

I agree with Karen the codeine can cause problems I took them for the first few months and found that towards the end of that time the headpains were worse. Both my G.P and Neurosurgeon stated that they were causing codeine headaches. I now only take paracetomol and a very low dose of Amytriptyline for the nerve pains.

Janet x

Donna,

I still get headaches 18 months on and some days they are worse then when I first came out of hospital. I am waiting for my consuiltant to sort out my headache tablets after they have diagnosed the chest problems (which won't be till the middle of July). Unfortunately again I seem to take 2 steps forward with no headaches and then 5 back with a really nasty one. Again I agree with everything others have said, keep well hydrated and I know its hard but try not to worry about them too much as that makes the headache worse but obviously get it checked out with doc if you are really anxious about it.

Codiene also gave me headaches too, I only take it occasionally.

I'm trying not to sound negative but don't want to give you the impression that I never get headaches, remember everyones recovery is very different.

Laura

xx

Hey there

Sorry to bang on about this one - but I cut aspartame and caffeine out of my diet completely and now the only headache I get is either an hangover :oops: or when I've over done it. Diet does contribute a lot to headaches - I haven't touched chocolate as much as I used to either - the caffeine thing again. I know some guys can tolerate the caffeine but it's not something I want to try myself - I'm happy with my de caff.

Take care hun

Sami xxx

Hi Donna

I'm one of the lucky ones, I only get the occasional headache now and the odd twinge behind my right eye. Like some of the others, I know its because I've overdone things or sometimes I've lain in bed too long and get up dizzy as well.

I'm dizzy this morning for example 'cos I had a very over the top emotional day yesterday and the day before. Ended up having to go to bed I felt so ill. (All sorted out now thank goodness).

Post SAH the hospital gave me instructions re codeine, aspirin etc and I adhered to those instructions to the letter. And after being home for around 3/4 weeks as per the hospital's instructions I wasn't taking either. I just take Nurofen and Ibroprofen if the headaches/eye pains start and they seem to do the trick. (I know I am fully aware how lucky I am not to have worse symptoms than these).

Like Sami, I also read labels and don't drink anything with Aspartame in it. But saying that, I'd been doing that for a few years anyway. The only fizzy drink we have at home is Schweppes Dry Ginger Ale which is very refreshing and doesn't have aspartame in it. All the diet drinks have aspartame in them which come under different names: sucrose, saccharine and all the other names the soft drinks trade try to hide this stuff. Its actually a poison.

Sami: are there any other fizzies without aspartame? - would welcome input. Thanks.

Caffeine doesn't seem to give me headaches: I'm still a tea bag! Tea for me is the real amber nectar (I'm coming back next lifetime on a tea plantation :) )

I've been veggie for 25 years in that I don't eat meat, but I have been eating seafood for the past 10 years as got too tired on just a veggie diet.

I try to drink a mug of hot water for every mug of tea (yeh right, of course I don't always remember) as I know not drinking enough water and taking in too much salt contributes to headaches.

Oh, I hardly drink alcolhol, literally once in a blue moon.

Hope this helps.

Big hug

Lesley xxx

Hi Donna

I can only add to what others have said really. For a while I had a headache like a huge pulse in my head, that eventually went but the neckache continued constantly for a number of months, it then dwindled and I now get it only as soon as I get even slightly tired or stressed. Same goes for the ache behind the eye.I was given Tramadol for the pain in hospital and on leaving but that causes more problems than it relieves and is a very strange choice post SAH as it make you feel spaced out (adding to the problems!)

I then took codeine for only the first couple of weeks then went on to codeine/paracetamol in one tablet (which has a MUCH lower dose of codeine, often the best way to get off codeine) then on to paracetamol only. Now I do not take anything unless I get desperate. As others have said, codeine causes headaches in itself (and constipation which can also cause headaches and must be avoided post SAH as straining can cause major problems, excuse the bluntness!)

I know it is difficult to be patient Donna but it really is a waiting game, just waiting for things to improve, trying to get out every day and have a little walk, getting frustrated some days when you are too tired to even get dressed let alone have a walk, listening to your own body telling you to rest. I was totally hyperactive before SAH and have found the whole process so frustrating and upsetting but I have come to the conclusion that eventually I may get back to my previous level of activity or I may not but whatever I achieve is a bonus.

Think about what you have already achieved Donna, you are home from Hospital, you can get dressed and showered, you can go for little walks, chat with your family. You couldn't do any of those things at first. Yes you will have setbacks and days when you feel totally distraught ( I certainly do) but things will improve. The neck ache and headache means slow down, be patient! Good luck, try to relax and go wih the flow, easier said than done I know.

Ann

I just take Nurofen and Ibuprofen ....

Lesley, I hope you don't take both of those at the same time! Nurofen's main ingredient is ibuprofen. I'm not supposed to take ibuprofen, as it reacts with my BP medication, although I have used it on the odd occasion for joint pain.

I have sweeteners (aspartame) in my tea - yes, I'm a tea junkie too and I can't function in the mornings before my first cup of tea! (Karen, I'm not talking about the other TEA that Eric and I drink when we go out :lol: ) I also have the odd cup of full caff. coffee, but mostly drink de-caff.

Off for a cup of tea and a fag. (cough!)

Keith

Hey there

I drink the Schloer drinks - they're safe. If caffeine isn't a problem for you then Asda do an aspartame free cola. I think Sunkist is apartame free too. Ribena is too. But some cordials have aspartame in too even if they're not the reduced sugar variety and even the Walkers crisps - Selections I think (the posh ones!!) Also those yoghurts which are supposed to stave off hunger have aspartame too - the best way is to avoid any sweetner that ends in "ame" and saccharin or anything that says "contains a source of phenylenanine". It's all very complicated now - just wish the government would ban all known neuro toxins - but then I guess it would cost too much to use "safe" sweeteners!!

Keith - try Splenda (huni!) (sorry couldn't resit) I use that in my coffee and on cereal

TTFN

Sami xxx

Hi Keith

No I don't take Nurofen and Ibroprofen together (I think I take Ibroprofen when I've got a problem like my recent tendenitis in my ankle). I know I did take Nurofen and Codeine together a few weeks back when my headaches were really bad and that seemed to work.

Hi Sami

Thanks for the info on fizzie drinks. I do get weird looks in supermarkets 'cos I'm always reading labels. (Most of the time the price tag to see if I can ****** afford it!). Ribena sounds nice, think I'll get a bottle in later.

Why does the food industry have to be so ****** complicated? Sorry swearing again, but they would make a saint swear! Why can't they just put SUGAR in stuff, why does it have to be all these weird derivatives of aluminium and goodness knows what else. Who the hell sits in an office and says 'I know let's use this poison instead of Sugar, if we only put so much in, we probably won't poison too many people and only those probably who drink too much of the stuff. But heh, those that drink too much have probably helped tremendously with our profits. What a conundrum. We'll kill 'em all off in the end.' See what I mean? Surely it can't be only a few of us that take exception to the food industry poisoning us?

Sorry to rant.

Love and hugs

Lesley xxx

Sami,

Forgot to say its the tesco active orange flavour. Not sure about the original one as I don't like it.

No caffeine- the ingredients are carbonated water, glucose/fructose syrup 23%, orange juice from concentrate 5%, citric acid, flavouring, preservatives (sodium benzoate, sodium metaeisuplhate), antioxident (ascorbic acid), colour (beta carotene).

Is that ok for us? I'm not that lucky to find a drink I can actually enjoy!!!!!

Laura

xx

Hey there

Doesn't sound anything dodgy in there, apart from the sodium benzoate, but that's not related to brain injury or neuro toxins. I'm going to Tesco in a mo so I shall have a look.

Cheers hun

Sami xxx

I used to drink the sports drinks during my early recovery as thought that they would give me some energy, but they're quite high in calories .....presume that it's the sugar ..... I still mainly stick to filtered water.

Donna,

Check that sugar free juice for aspartame or asculfame - these are sweeteners and could contribute to the headaches etc. Try cutting them out of your diet altogether if possible.

Remember, try to get some rest today - it won't happen again just because you've gone to sleep and are alone - if it's going to (which it isn't) then it'll go anywhere. Having a bad nights sleep doesn't help anything, least of all a brain injury.

Take care hun

Sami xxx