How common are seizures?

Guest Shiree

Guest Shiree

Hi Everyone

I was wondering how many people experience seizures after SAH? I never have, and am not on any medication for it, but wonder if the chances of it happening are very likely?

"hugs"

Shiree

Hi Shiree

I never had one and have never taken meds for them - suppose we might be "lucky" to have escaped them. I don't know how common they are or what the possibility of them happening is I'm afraid.

Regards

Sami xxx

Hi Shiree,

I had 2 seizures whilst in hospital and that was because i developed hydrocephalus which i had a lumbar puncture performed to drain the excess water to help with the brain pressure, i was told that although i had seizures at hospital i would most likely not get them again or chances are very slim that i will not have one again. I on the other hand do not worry about them anymore, i was worried in the beginning but not now.

I was on medication but not now.

Myra xx

Hi Shiree,

I had seizures during the SAH and another seizure after coiling ..... I was immediately put on an anti epilepsy drug called Phenytoin and stayed on that for about 10 months. I believe that the first 2 years after a SAH/stroke is the most critical time with epilepsy developing, then after that point, the risk factor goes down. However, I have heard of people developing epilepsy after this point and the latest case that I've heard of, was about 7 years post SAH/stroke, but it thankfully seems to be fairly rare.

Yes I had a seizure in the time between the SAH happening and the coiling procedure taking place. I was told that it was due to blood irritating my brain. I was put on Phenytoin to prevent any further seizures but when I left hospital I had taken so much medication that my liver was a bit poisoned and so a couple of months later my GP and neurologist agreed to take me off the Phenytoin. I've not had any more seizures. My GP has told me to avoid bright flashing light as a precaution but it is not something I generally worry about as I'm hoping it was a one off.

Shiree

I understand I had a mild seizure at the time of the SAH - was out cold so don't recall! However have not had another since altho I must admit I was nervous that I might. I too was told on discharge from hospital to avoid too much tv especially any flashing images, I have only recently began watching more telly (have not missed much?!) Thank goodness for audio books!!!

Again there are no guarantees but it is unlikely to present a problem now - coiling 10 weeks today (yeah!!!!)

How is the farm? Have you been back in the truck again?

Take care

Jane xxx

Hi Shiree

I have been lucky and not suffered a seizure, but was warned could happen at anytime in the first 3 months because of trauma due to surgery. Told also to avoid bright flashy lights and tv. Seem ok now, but do look away if flashing lights, but dont think about it now. Hopefully wont happen!! :D

Love Tinaxx

I didn't suffer any seizures and yes I was told about the 2 year period where it is more likely. My consultant was surprised that I didn't have them because of where my SAH was- the carotid artery= the main one!!! Don't do things by half so the consultant said :lol: I'm 19 months through so hoping and praying that don't get them.

Laura

xx

Guest Shiree

I would be interested in finding out the statistics on seizures/ epilepsy after SAH....any ideas where to look?

"hugs"

Shiree

Hi Shiree I never had any warniings on leaving the hospital I can only presumb that flashing lights are ok for me now as I have been to a few discos oh well never mind. I never had any fits that I can remember and I am sure one of my family would of told me. Jess.xxx

Guest Shiree

Thanx Keith

It sounds like the chance of seizures are very low if you have good functional recovery. What do you think "focal Pathology" means? Certain changes in the blood maybe?

"hugs"

Shiree

Hi Shiree

My understanding is that "focal pathology" relates to an injury that occurs in a specific spot in the brain as opposed to "diffuse injury" which occurs over a widespread area. Many neurological conditions result due to the widespread damage to the brain caused by SAH, but it seems from that report that epilepsy could be caused by damage to a particular area. The again, not being an expert, my understanding may be wrong.

Regards

Keith

Shiree, are you worried about seizures because of your HGV licence?

I would imagine that the risk of you developing epilepsy post SAH is fairly low, as you didn't experience any seizures during the bleed. I know that there aren't any guarantees, as when the anti epilepsy drugs were causing me more problems than the SAH, my Neuro Consultant told me that I could wean myself off them, but during the initial withdrawal of the meds, none of us knew whether or not I would have more seizures or whether it was just the irritation caused by the initial bleed. It was a scary time and caused me more anxiety than I care to think about. It took me about six months to withdraw and it was horrid.

If I'd had one more seizure, then I would have lost my driving licence again. From what I've read about seizures, they can be brought on during the "hangover" period, if you've had one too many glasses of alcohol .....irrespective of whether or not you've had a SAH......that can happen to anybody.

Guest Shiree

Hi Karen

Yep I am worried about my Truck license. I would be devestated if I could not drive again.

My plan is to try and get it back earlier (than the 12 month stand down period). The Licensing agency over here said if my risk of seizures was really low then it could definiatley be an option, just need a favourable review from a neurologist, which I will probably chase up after my six month mark (thats when I can drive a car again). But I don't want to be selfish if the chance of a seizure was likely.

"hugs

Shiree

I'm in the UK and our very own government agency when they gave me back my license to drive they took away permanently my HGV license. But my case isn't a straight forward SAH recovery as I had SAH, stroke and hydrocephalus. I think I could apply to get the larger vehicles back onto my license but I can't be bothered as the likelihood of me needing to drive anything large than 3.5 tonnes is negligible.

Scott

Guest Shiree

Hiya Scott

I'm just a born worrier i think. Either that or a whinging cow :D

It seems like the recovery goes in stages, feeling ok for a bit, then yuk again. So i have not heard from anyone on this site that has epilepsy post SAH? From what I gather the percentage is quite low.......fingers and toes crossed.

"hugs"

Shiree

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I have been reading all your posts on this topic together with the ones on vasospasm with keen interest. Today is one of those days when I believe I only see the tip of the iceberg of all this. I have also had a hectic weekend and feel tired. Doesn´t help my mood or optimistic outlook on life.

One of my jobs is part-time paperwork for a private clinic. I don´t go to the doctors there but I do chat with them sometimes over coffee. There is this neurologist who flies over from one of the bigger islands twice a month to see his local patients. I can´t say I like him much and today he was "discussing my case" with me and said that if I was "his" patient, he would have already put me on anti-seizure, anti-vasospasm, and on some anti-other God-knows-what, too. I am not his patient and I never asked him his opinion. I found the conversation very upsetting.

I had a seizure during the SAH episode, while I was trying to call the ambulance. I was concious and managed to keep calm and it stopped. It was quick but awful and scary. Re-reading my clinic history today it is mentioned that while I was in intensive care I went thru a few "comitial crisis'" which where successfully dealt with using anti-comitial crisis medication. No further info on what those crisis consisted on is ventured but they can mean a number of things as I have discovered.

I have my next appointment with the neurosurgeon on April 2009. There are no NHS (our equivalent to it) neurosurgeons where I live but there is a neurologist and I am going to try go get an appointment and a second opinion. I don´t want to take really strong medication if it´s not absolutely necessary. I guess it´s a question of approach. The private doc says I should take the medicine as a prevention mechanism (paying, of course) while the Social Security is more "let´s see what happens and if something does happen, let´s hope we get to it on time"....It´s a nuisance not knowing what to do. On Saturday I went to the pictures and saw this modern action film full of high-speed flashing images. Thouroughly enjoyed and felt dizzy when I came out. But didn´t have a seizure.

I have been prescribed Valium (a very low dose) and pain killlers for when/if I get headaches. That´s all. My GP is very pleasant but won´t touch me with a bargepole! She´s happy handing out new prescriptions for painkillers when I run out of them and doesn´t wish to get involved any further. I can understand it. I'm going to her tomorrow to demand blood tests and a request for an appointment with the neurologist at the hospital. That´s the action I am going to take.

It´s fantastic to have a place to write and someone who understands my doubts and fears. I know this is not a place for medical advice but what I get here I sometimes believe is even more important to me than that. Courage, ideas, new perspectives and support.

Lots of love and thanks for being there.

Nurianna

coming up to 4 month post SAH

Hiya

I had a siezure when I had the brain haemorrhage and mybe one in hospital dont remember either anyway I was on an anti seizure med for about a year and a half after that they said you had to be on it for a year when you'd had a seizure reason I was on year&ahalf was they didnt ask to see me oops!

yes go and ask if you can have an appt before your due to go back even just to put your mind at rest.

hopeing all else is good with you

take care

Louise.x