Worried all the time

My husband had his SAH just over 8 weeks ago on holiday.  I’m continuously worried about him at the moment even though doctors have said just to carry on with your life as usual (which I know we’ve been lucky to).  Everything makes me nervous just thinking about our future together makes me worry.  I worry that it might happen again and really do not want to book any trips at present.

He wants to go to London for a couple of days like we have always done in the past but I just worry about being away from home most probably due to the fact it happened whilst we were on holiday.  I worry about him when he sleeps which is making my sleep very poor.  I know I should just focus on the future and I keep having flashbacks to what happened.  Any other partners felt like this?  I’m usually a very positive person 

Hi TJ

Yes I do know how you feel but take your lead from hubby, the chances of a rebleed is minimal. To say the least its natural to feel the way you do but taking baby steps maybe good depending on how hubby feels. If he feels that he can cope then don't hesitate but I would expect him to be tired and maybe exhausted if he does too much in the beginning.

So slowly does it, take each day as it comes and don't forget should he feel rough there are many hospitals within walking distance in London which should give you peace of mind. Go and try to enjoy but take your lead from hubby.

Good luck and enjoy

I echo Pauls comments TJRCGG. If your husband is up for the trip then take it. You will be in the UK and therefore near medical attention should you need it, though I would think it highly unlikely. The chances of a rebleed are very slim, your husbands main problem will be fatigue so build in plenty of breaks during the trip. Quiet breaks where he is away from any stimulating environments.

Have you thought about having a chat withyour GP re the amount of anxiety you are suffering, this episode has really shaken you and you may need some support yourself to get over it. 

I hope you can start to feel more positive soon, your husband has survived this and is very lucky as we all are. Embrace that survival and look forward to the future, it may be a new future but it's there for the taking.

Good luck and keep coming here with your worries. We will try and support you.

Clare xx

Thanks means a lot to speak with others.  Hubby has been given some medication for the anxiety and as long as I know he is progressing I’m sure I will be okay.  He drove out today to the shops with me for a couple of hours and then he felt tired and he’s unfortunately caught my cold so we came home so he could rest.  I’ve told him only to do what he feels able to at the moment.

we run our own business which we’ve built up over 24 years and it worries him not to be working and in control like he usually was which plays on his mind

TJRCGG, I don't want to put a damper on your husbands progress but did he drive or did you? The reason I say this is because a SAH is notifiable to DVLA and depending on what they say he may not be allowed to drive just yet. Obviously if that is the case then his insurance will not be valid.

Check here

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

Of course you may be well aware of the facts, if so, I apologise.

My husband has informed the DVLA (my daughter works in insurance and made sure we did this) but after our visit to our GP Thursday who said there was no reason he should not be driving my husband phoned the DVLA who had received all the information they needed for the GP and said he could drive.  Obviously as he hasn’t driven for 8 weeks he found it tiring in its self

No offence taken at all.  It was one of the first things my daughter told him as he had a new car on order and no point getting it if he couldn’t drive.  It put a smile on his face to know he could drive again and not have to have me as his chauffeur

Sounds like he is doing really well, glad he is driving again as it gives him some independence. I had to wait 10 months to drive and now am not that fussed about going out in the car, I've got used to being chauffered and public ttransport ^_^

Make sure he takes the time to rest when he needs to and hopefully he will be fine. Hope you get to take that trip to London and maybe some holidays next year.

xx

Hi,

Look on the bright side.  Your husband will have been scanned and hopefully they would have picked upon the chances of a re-bleed.  So there is every reason to be positive going forward.  He's  a survivor, there is much to be thankful for and every reason to be optimistic.

What's the line in the Christmas song - 'look to the future now, it's only just begun............' (Merry Xmas everybody by Slade, I think).

It's only natural you are wary about travelling but I've done it many times now and I'm fine.  Good luck,

Macca

He keeps having anxiety attacks as well.  Had a bad one again this evening just comes over him.  Dr gave him some sertraline tablets to help with this but only taken them 2 days.  It’s really worrying seeing him like this.  I’m a nervous nurse type person although I do try to stay as calm as possible 

Hi,

Don't know if your GP has made you aware but sometimes sertraline, and other SSRI medications, can initially cause anxiety, or worsening symptoms of anxiety, for a couple of weeks before any improvement is seen. Hope your husband starts to feel better soon. 

We are going back to GP Tomorrow as this can’t carry on as it is.   Felt exhausted all day 

WeWHad two separate ambulances out during the night who have assured him it’s anxiety.  He took have have of a 2mg lorazepam tablet as he had been awake for over 24 hours and so had I And now is very tired and woosey 

My Daughter has Panic Attacks and once she knew her heart was in fine fettle and that she can control them, she is okay and when a panic comes on she sucks peppermints and carries  bottled water with her to help swallow/saliva ie dryness you get when panic attack !!

She knows it will not hurt her and she is in charge of how she feels, the other night she woke up and thought she couldn't breathe.  She spoke to herself and said "Come on relax" it went. after a while she said....Less stress more calmness eases them !!

Think the op has made your  hubby like this  and it helped our neighbour who thought he was having a heart attack and ambulance man told him " no it is a panic attack"  I  told neighbour Daughter has had them since puberty and passed him a packet of mints and a bottle of water to keep with him.  Good hearted I am!!  His/neighbours panic episodes   started after scare with his heart.

Good luck TJ and hubby xxx  They are scary things to have but hubby needs help and understanding when he has one so Good Luck to Both of you xx 

Remember he is a survivor and if I have put this before sorry xxxx  and all the best to you both now get better or Win will break into song ha ha xxx

Susan doctor did tell hubby that that was the case but he didn’t expect to feel so rough.  He didn’t take anymore as he can’t carry on like that so back to doctor today to see what else there is.

Win I used to have panic attacks so my technique did help me when his BP went sky high.  Good breathing helped to bring it down.  Thanks for your reply’s this site is  really helping us both although I’m the only one who reads it but inform him of replies

Must be hard for you TJR and hubby as when we panic all our body tenses up on us and we can say it will be okay  but when you have one they are scary things xx 

Wishing you all the best and hubs  xxx  Do not think people understand about them enough xxx 

Win xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hubby took Half the tablet.  Been back to doctors who has now prescriped diazepam 2mg to take just in case of extreme anxiety along side the sertraline whilst it gets in the body which is definitely not having the effects of the lorazepam.  Hubby has only had to take it twic so far.  Frmertd you seem to be in a similar time scale to us.  We run our own business which is very stressful at times and hubby only doing 4 hours a day as the fatigue takes over so goes home to rest.  Whilst in hospital in Cyprus I prayed also and so did my daughter x

Archived