Tinnitus after non-aneurysm subarachnoid bleed

Hi everyone - I’m new to the forum. I’m 28, and Six weeks ago I experience a non-aneurysm bleed in my subarachnoid, between my brainstem and cerebellum. Small bit of Venus blood.

It’s been an up and down recovery. Headaches, back spasms, and now... tinnitus. My ears and head have been ringing a fair bit for the last few weeks, and I was just wondering if anyone else here experienced the same thing? If so, what was your experience with it? It’s certainly causing a spike in anxiety and lack of sleep, given how noisy my head is these days!

The neurosurgery nurse practitioner said this is not a side-effect of the bleed, but given it started two weeks after the homorraghe I’m dubious. 

That said, i’ve gone to a chiropractor and an acupuncturist who both seem convinced that the ringing in my head and ears is related to my neck and/or my circulatory system.  Also dubious about both responses, but willing to give it a go. 

Any advice on what worked for others/ their experience with tinnitus post-bleed is appreciated! 

Thanks!

Kat

Hi welcome to btg xxx

I get tinnitus quite alot I have my fan on at night and that seems to help or a tv on quiet does (Well helps me) xxx

I personally would rethink the chiropractor as I wouldn't want them messing with my neck as that can cause problems xxx

Hi K89,

I got it after my SAH, and when it isn't too bad it sounds like waves coming in or the sound of a seashell. 

I find it worse when under stress ie had a row with hubby or friends/family tell me their sorrows ..lol so  I had to ask them for happy talk only, got 1 Sis who is a bit of a moaner, lovely but does make mountains out of molehills and it kills her not to be able to run others down to me lol xx 

Had mine since ! woke up in 2010, I have never done anything about it though as Doc said it is in my head and I wanted to say no Ears Doc lol. 

See Doc(not mine) and see if he can give you anything and try and be calmer and mine seems to shut up, but it is going like the clappers at the moment wishing you all the best, and in my case a little background noise does help xxxx Not too loud though.

Win xx Oh try singing lol xxxx cannot hurt or can it x Good luck and welcome xxx

Tinnitus is very challenging. Sometimes even the ear, nose and throat docs can’t do anything. Trust me . I have sent patients to them. Sometimes people say lipoflavanoids help. Also physical therapy for tinnitus might help.

I also have developed tinnitus since my bleed.  Initially I had some hearing loss in one ear but the hearing returned and brought tinnitus with it.  That one ear is the worse but I have it in both ears.  I am bothered by it especially when it is quiet.  So I sleep with the Tv on very low...hubby is not a fan but it works and he has gotten use to it.  

Hope you find what helps you it is annoying and distracting.  

Jean

Thanks everyone. It’s definitely a pain, makes it very difficult to sleep at night without a sleep aid. 

Does anyone else experience ear pain as well? Mine tend to ache multiple times a day. 

• 2 months later...

Hi K89

its been 16 weeks since  my SAH the headaches have eased a little but I’ve also been getting the ringing in my ears .  It’s quite frustrating at times I thought it must of been a side affect of the bleed too. I hope it goes away for you soon.

I see tinnitus visually. It is a real thing. It never goes away. It reminds me of that , long tracking shot in the film "frenzy", where the killer enters the street, as is if nothing had happend. The noise just swamps you.  Like the the tracking shot in "Jaws" , where the camera pulls away, when focusing on the face. That's how I see tinnitus! I may be wrong! 

Archived