Balance Problems

Hi everyone

I am 9 months post SAH and I felt that I had come a long way since the event but I have had one problem after the other with my health.

Before my SAH I had some gynaelogical problems and now that has come back and I am often in pain. My GP is referring me to hospital for this as this needs to be treated first before coiling but I know I will have to wait some time for this.

Has anyone suffered from balance problems and weak legs I have noticed that my balance has gone worse if I did not use a crutch someone would think I was drunk, I really need to concentrate on my walking when I go outside.

Myra xx

Guest ElaineW

Yes, my mum has experienced balance problems, some days worse than others - but she did have a few falls because of it last week. Physio hgace her a lot of exercises; one of which was heal to toe walking. It has improved again at the moment though.

Elaine

Guest shelscha

Hi Myra, My biggest thing that I am left with is balance problems and I always say the same thing. If someone watched me close enough they would think I was drunk. If I really concentrate I can do ok but as soon as I close my eyes forget it. That is what they are doing with me now in physical therapy. In June 2007 I had a rupture, the location was my left PICA. This past August I had another coiling surgery, they ended up using the liquid onyx, to eliminate the artery that ruptured because it was very damaged and my surgeon feared another rupture. That surgery caused a stroke so that is what I have been doing, recovering again, however, I was not fully recovered from the rupture. I am still really dizzy. I still have some off numbness and tingling that varies from day to day. The surgeon told me that balance would be the main issue for me but thought that it would be a temporary thing. We'll see, I wake up every day hoping that it is better.

Shelly

HI MYRA

THE BALANCE PROBLEMS HAVE IMPROVED BUT IT DOES GIVE ME FITS STILL EVERY NOW AND AGAIN. HIGH HEEL SHOES ARE DEFINATLEY OUT FOR ME NOW I WOULD BREAK MY NECK. BUT I STILL GET FATIGUE IN MY LEGS ( PAIN AND WEAKNESS ) NOW AND AGAIN.

GIVE IT TIME IT SHOULD HOPEFULLY IMPROVE FOR YOU.

BIG HUG AND LOVE EVELYN

Hi Shelly,

I had recoiling done in sept 08 and i am left with weak legs that also give me lots of pain, i am going to physio this week. I had left side weakness after a stroke during surgery after sah in nov 07 but my legs and sometimes my arms ache/hurt and are weak also.My balance is very much affected not allowed out on my own and when i do go for a walk mainly at weekends i have to hold on to hubby's arm or anyone else that offers. Sometime i wonder if i would be better with a stick/crutch. My o/t also noticed that i hold my head to the left :roll: didnt know that, anyway i will let you know what happens after physio. Take care

Love luck and laughter

Michelle C

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In June 2007 I had a rupture, the location was my left PICA.

Hi Shelly

I also had an aneurysm rupture in the left PICA (posterior inferior cerebellar artery) and the artery was sacrificed (sealed off by coiling) the day after rupture. That artery is one of the six (3 left, 3 right) that feed the cerebellum, which controls balance, coordination and fine motor control. Both my NS and my GP were concerned about balance and coordination, but luckily I have had no issues in that department apart from the odd spell of dizziness.

Regards

Keith

Hello Michelle, hopet he physio is helping, I too am having physio from the dedicated brain injury team we have :) I really just wanted to say, 'have that stick', I do, not only does it help with balance problems, but it also makes most people step aside to give you free passage and that is brilliant! :wink::wink:

Hi Perry,

I think i will see what the physio says today, thought i would just share this, we went to the library monday night (late night mondays not alot of people to walk into ha), leaving the library, neil had walked infront to get through the door, where the christmas tree was, and guess who walked into it :lol: Luckily no-one saw and i didnt knock it over, this time :D

Sending love luck and laughter

Michelle C

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest Beth1957

Yep, I have balance problems too; they're not necessarily related to my annie as I've had them, on & off, for years. I use a walking stick a lot, partly for balance and partly so people don't just think I'm drunk!

My reeling about in busy places has got worse since the problems with my eyesight started. I often simply don't see people on my left, so they kind of suddenly loom onto view & startle me :wink: Luckily I tend to lurch to the right, or I'd have flattened dozens of people by now :D

Hello

Well i went to physio and just chatted about how i was walking and the pain in my legs and arms and balance problems, i felt like i was just moaning on and on for 40 minutes really.

Thanks Perry for your reply, was everyone given a stick to walk with from hospital/rehab or have you got your own, they gave me a "perching chair" which i use quite a lot now especially in the kitchen doing tea but no-one has thought to give me a stick :roll:

Anyway have to go back next week to physio hopefully they will sort me out with excercises or something.

Michelle C

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Michelle,

I bought my own stick ..... took me nearly two years to do it though, but really wish that I had done it earlier..... I bought a fold up one from Argos ..... it's about £10 ...... still use it on occasions and stick it in my handbag, just in case .... people do give you a wider berth when you use one ..... If you feel that you need one to help you with your balance, then get Neil to pop to Argos for you... don't be embarrassed about having to use one .....

When I have bad days, then I use it......especially with the dog walking when Eric's away ..... the stick kind of gives me something else to focus on and it does help with the confidence. If it helps to get you out and about, then it's worth it ... :) xx

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... +STICK.htm

Hi Michelle :D Yes i too have got a fold up stick 'Mr Stick' i call it lol....i got it from Argos after Karen recommended it to me...and yes it really does help for those wobbly moments and helps me with my confidence if out on my own for a walk. Good luck :D I did find it really embarrassing at first, felt like everyone was staring at me.....but i don't care now...just smile at them lol :wink:

Love Tina xxx

Hi Karen and Tina,

Thanks for your "stick" advice, i told neil and showed him the picture and he wanted to know if it had three other sticks to go with it like a zimmer frame, i whollopped him for us all :lol:

Its been really bad today along with my head, neck and eyes but at least i am here!

Thanks for advice,

Michelle C

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello again, Michelle :) I've been having a 'think'......got to go and rest now :wink::wink: lol and I reckon that if Karen, Tina, and You and I met up for a grand stick walk, we could beat the world :D I wasn't given a walking stick when I came out of hospital Michelle, I'm arthritic and pushing it age wise so I had one anyway :wink: No extra costs, great :)

Michelle, if you need a stick then go for it ..... I left it far too long to buy one .... do what's good for you ..... I could barely walk when I came out of hospital...... I managed to get a loan of a wheelchair at first from a friend, who had an elderly parent. I absolutely hated being in it, but I couldn't go out without one at first. I had awful double vision and balance problems and my depth perception had totally gone ..... I don't think that the hospital recognised my needs, but that's another subject!

If any aid helps you to get back to normal as such and restores your confidence, then it's worth it ..... I very rarely have to use the stick now, but I know that it's there ....

Perry, will look forward to the grand stick walk! :D

Hello Karen, Perry

Yes Perry look forward to the grand stick walk :lol:

Well went to physio, my legs were terrible and i kept tripping up and Chirag said oh you weren't like this last week :roll: i toldhim it is different day to day.

Anyway a senior physio Tessa checked me over and said i have lost my muscle tone and my brain isn't telling my legs what to do, she mentioned hydrotheraphy but didn't explain much about it, my back was agony, i told her that my legs just sit at the end of my body and my arms are a weight just typing makes them ache. I did ask about a stick and she gave me one to try but i was very wobbly and she said perhaps later, she said i wasn't allowed outon my own anyway because i need someone to hold my arm, so maybe a stick when i am a little strong. she said my back is overcompensating and trying to keep me uprite

so will see what next thursday holds, i will keep taking the tablets.

Oh just remembered i kept tripping up and she mentioned dropped foot?????????? but didn't ask because i was too busy trying to concentrate on walking.

Anyway over to the greenroom now, i will probably repeat it all there now :lol:

SENDING LOVE AND HUGS AND HOPE YOU ARE BOTH KEEPING WELL

Thanks Michelle C

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HI! I also do "the drunk waltz", specially if I don´t concentrate deliberately on my movements or if I am tired. I have recently started the physio after 6 months of my own Pica aneurysm clipping and have to relearn to coordinate again. My neck was so stiff I couldn't girate it at all so now I have to get used to my head being able to turn and to try to avoid my body turning with it! Balance has begun to be an issue since I started the physio, before I was as stiff as a board and hardly moved so it didn´t bother me. It´s very painful, I get spells of depression and I have to constantly remind myself that I am improving since now I can rotate my head again. The other day, the physiotherapist forced my neck to an angle in which I could almost see what was behind me. I burst out crying because I had never thought I would be able to do that again! I got used to a new physical center of gravity due to stiffness after the operation and now I am changing that.

I also have a question: I feel like if the physio is making me very emotional, can anyone relate to this? Is it what they call "muscular memory" being challenged?

Lots of love,

Nurianna

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also have balance problems and walk as though I am drunk, even worse when I am tired. I have had lots of falls and now joke that I "bounce well". I also go very dizzy when trying to look left and right, ie moving my head quickly from side to side, so you can imagine, crossing roads is a nightmare, virtually impossible if it is busy. This is what has led to me being not allowed to drive anymore. I find that dizziness also happens when looking up or bending down. I have to focus on a set point to try to stabilise myself and it does help a little. It is difficult for me to carry anything like food or drinks as they invariably end up on the floor and I am unable to do my own housework. (I don't know whether that is a bad thing or not, at least it has given me the excuse to have a cleaner :)).

I use a triwalker or a mobility scooter when out and about on my own or a stick and hubby when I am with him, a stick and furniture in the house and I have to have a chair in the shower and have been told by an OT that I should have a stairlift for safety.

I don't know if the bleed or the ensuing hydrocephalus caused these problems but I am way past wondering now. I just live life the best I can within my limitations.

At least I now know that I am not on my own in having these problems.

Hi Penny,

That's exactly how I feel almost everyday, I get no answers as to why but like you I also had hydrocephalus.

I always use a crutch to help with my balance but I don't like using it.

There are so many things that happen to us after SAH and never get addressed.

Myra xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Well i still havn't got my stick, my physio changes her mind from week to week, or should that be weak to weak :lol::roll: My knee went twice yesterday from all the hard work excercising i did, wish i knew why it just goes without warning...we went back to reception and this time my knee just about hit the floor never dropped that far before..and i couldnt get up it took two people to help :cry:

Oh got pins and needles ....

Love luck and laughter

michellexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All

I have just started having balance problems 3 years post coiling and in fact went to my GP today. I am at present under a physio who has recommended fitness classes but unfortunately ended up having headaches which was the main reason I went to my GP, when he realised I was having balance problems he has asked me to go back again (he had to rush out) as he wanted to give me a full neurological examination. I have used a stick frequently in fact I appear to be collecting them, at least now I know I'm not on my own. I was embarassed at first but now if any of my friends comment I just laugh.

Cheers

John