Hello - new member

Doonhamer

Hi everyone.  I'm new to the forums after visiting the hospital yesterday.  

I got SAH in February, which was a bit of a surprise after heading to the hospital then not knowing what happened afterwards.  I missed most of February but was in a good state to leave early March.  I am lucky enough to live in the countryside and could add fitness, but I was constrained by being unable to drive in an area which has no transport. Without being able to drive, I took up biking - with one eye!

My eyesight is still hampered by double vision, but this is getting better over time.  In April I tried to go back to work, and while I wasn't perfect at the start, I still get better every day.  People are prepared to laugh with me, so that's been great.  The main thing for me getting better has been to be sure to keep sleeping when required.  I keep going to bed early and my work will always be OK.

This week I took to a black contact lens... it's a bit rubbish but I can use sunglasses for a change!  I can't help thinking that messing about with lenses has put my eyesight a bit behind after 2 weeks.  Soon see.  Anyway, I can still drive when I wear my patch / frosted lens.

People around me have had a bit of a laugh when they have realised what I've been doing.  If I can help here with anyone else, happy to do so!

Hello and a warm welcome to BTG.

You are among friends, and you will benefit from shared experiences as you read the various Forum threads.

Great to hear you are feeling positive about your progress. It is always a benefit when you feel you can share what happened to you, and smile about the issues that you have to contend with when with work colleagues and friends.

You say that getting plenty sleep is so important to you. Fatigue is definitely a prominent feature  post SAH. Learning to pace yourself well both physically and mentally can make such a difference as you recover.  Also make sure that you drink plenty water. Keeping well hydrated is so important.

We look forward to hearing more from you in your SAH journey. You mentioned your sight issues. Some  members experience varied problems with their sight following their brain trauma and partial and full recovery can depend on the nature of their trauma.

Wishing you well over the coming months.

Subs

Hi there glad you found BTG.  as Subzero said you are among friends.  Friends that in one way or another share some of what you are going through.  

I love that you sound as if you have kept a good sense of humor.  Humor can get us through a tough day (sometimes)...

I had my SAH followed with Vasospasm  just 2 years ago.  I feel as if I am better now that last year so I am going to keep working on getting better still.  Each inch of improvement may come slowly, so slowly for me that I can only see it when I look back.  BUT it keeps coming.  We are all survivors here, and we help each other.

So Welcome, please keep sharing here, I think you will see what others share is often heart warming and inspirational...

Jean

My Daughter found this site and I was all doom and gloom, never told them but sang a lot to try and cheer myself up .

This site has helped my Daughter and now it helps me, just by sharing a trouble about what happened to us and knowing we aren't the only ones.

We are Survivors Doon xx So when down  come on here and give vent as we have all been there, and it is hard to explain to loved ones.

My eyesight has gone skewiff and my sense of smells. I wont go on(I will) but welcome to BTG ..I hope you get vision corrected. 

I  need stronger glasses or they need a clean ha ha.

Take care and remember keep smiling (Wins answers to all ills)

Hi there

Warm welcome to the site glad that you found us.

Yes keep hydrated, take things easy slow and easy the way to go, and listen to your body when it craves rest don't ignore it...

Hope the site helps you.

Welcome to your new group of friends. We all know what you feel, we have been there too.

Just remember not to over do things, or do too much too soon. Things will seem very slow, recovery is different for each of us, some parts of each of our own stories may answer some of the questions that you might have.

Theres a future for you to discover, take small steps, pause reflect, look forward and set small goals and continue your journey as it unfolds before you.

Just pop in to the forums and find us, talk to us, share with us. Together we all learn...

Michael 

Thanks everyone!   Nice comment from weedrea too!

Actually, I've not been good this week.  The NHS refused to give me an appointment for the DVLA - supposed to be 2nd May - but impossible to get the appointment (due to a vacancy).  I had started driving into June as per DVLA form, but have now been prevented by the consultant - and he can't approve or deny anything!  No appointments.    I'm completely gutted, leaving me in a melt-down, impacted by TPX cancelling my trains at the same time, so ended up in tears for ages Wed - Fri.

Today I ended up with a migraine at work.  I presume this is unrelated to SAH, maybe the stress is getting too much.

Still, next week... our local MSP is on the case with NHS not doing anything.  Might help, but I've decided to book a session with a private doctor - need to get past any waiting towards my driving.

Right... will look up the eyesight section now!

The appointment thing sucks hope you get something soon..

Being prevented by consultant though is obvious for a reason I get your gutted and with the non appt not great but isn't it safer at the moment you don't drive? 

Hi Louise,

Well, yes this isn't ideal.  I was due a check on 2nd May after a month to see if this was any better - and has shown my vision has improved then - and again on 2nd June.  Has it been proven for driving?  No - but this needs to be checked.  Practically, I've experienced better driving by others - set in the passenger seat of many others 😳 - and scared, but not by me!  

The problem isn't about me, Dumfries and Galloway has zero public transport options.  There are 2 trains to Edinburgh which are ignored by local transport.  The only way for me to get to work is a 40-mile around trip for somebody else, before breakfast time. This means I have to drag everyone else to help me out.

Without an appointment, I need to book travel and accommodation in advance to avoid huge payments.  Without a support date, this would help.  Nobody can help.  I have no option but to try private appointments to see what is going to be one way or the other way.  Better than knowing nothing!  

Current view of 'maybe travel/maybe not' is not sustainable - not in the like of Edinburgh Festival!  This week is OK while my sister gives me her own flat - she is away just now, but when she's back, my flat costs £300/week. Driving would save this.  Yes, grim!

Yikes that sounds a tricky situation DH. In some situations there is some support available through Access to work scheme http://www.disabilityscot.org.uk/info-guides/access-to-work/a2w-what-help-is-available/ and if your consultant is able to state it will take time for this to work out I’m sure that SAH is a qualifying criteria , maybe look into this to see if they’ll cover transport costs.

I know what you meant about Edinburgh festival Tattoo/Fringe I'm from Edinburgh & also know Dumfries too we nearly moved to Moffatt 12years ago didn't long story...

Ah Daff bless you..

Thanks to both of you!  I had no idea about the Access to work scheme.

To be honest, I really think I'll be able to drive.  Tomorrow I'm going to a private consultant, and as it turns out, I will see the NHS consultant the following week.  A week saved is still a huge amount if it works.

My doctor ensured that I'd get an appointment after she heard what had happened.  She's been really nice.  The downside was that while I had no control over what was happening, this impacted on my work.  I couldn't control myself when I didn't have any controls over what was happening with my eyes... and my own person is now impacted in the workplace.  I will need to control myself or lose everything.

The positive side was that I realised last weekend that I could go for a bike without the patch over my eye!   I've now done 4 patch-free bike rides without any problems.  Speeding up is too much, need to stay very slow to be within single-vision.  It's too soon to attempt in the car, but it's clearly getting better every week.

So anyway... will find out what the story is with eyes tomorrow!

Archived