Has counselling helped anyone?

Hi

Not been posting for a while but have been bobbing in from time to time to look at posts and new topics.

It’s been a tough few months on a personal level, although from a brain-healing perspective things seem to be getting a lot better physically. Psychologically, however, I can’t switch the bl**dy thing off! It’s as if a lot of the re-routing, the ‘roadworks’ around the annie sites, that’ve been going on during the healing process are now complete and these new routes are getting overloaded with a continuous stream of traffic carrying everything that’s happened over the last 3 years that it hasn’t been able to deal with as it’s been so busy healing itself.

For those of you that don’t know me here’s what’s happened, in a nutshell. June 2006 my mum died suddenly so my partner and I moved up here from the South to live close to my dad in a barn conversion on his farm. We had to live with him, in his house, for almost a year whilst the conversion was going on (not that easy as you can imagine) and during that time, September ’06, I had my brain haemorrhage. We moved into the barn in July 2007, August 2007 my partner and I were married and in October 2007 I had the second annie clipped. My uncle also died that month, my Aunt and I were with him when he died.

I was unwell throughout 2008 with repeated shingles, or so the doctors thought, and was completely run down, lethargic, piled weight on and couldn’t function properly. Basically I was in a deep, deep rut which is thought might have been caused by PTSD. Blood tests by the gallon were done to eliminate all sorts but we still don’t really know what the problem is/was as things have improved but I still have occasional relapses.

In January 2009 my partner and I split up. It had all got too much and I guess I wasn’t the greatest prospect! The shock of that break up meant I lost a lot of weight (no bad thing) and, to keep my mind off things I joined a gym and have been exercising regularly. I have a part time job, freelancing PR, which I really enjoy particularly as I was so worried I’d have lost that ability post-SAH, but I haven’t. I’ve also applied to university for entry this September. My partner and I are on excellent terms despite everything that’s happened and see each other regularly.

However, this overloaded brain seems to suddenly be making me acutely aware of all of the above and wanting me to deal with it all at once. It’s not easy having a head full of stuff like that, that’s been effectively hidden away during recuperation so I’ve bitten the bullet and am awaiting my first counselling session. I’ve been referred by my GP via BUPA because having tried the NHS counselling route I now feel I need counselling to get over trying to get counselling before I’m counselled for what I need counselling for!

This is a really long post but perhaps it can be forgiven as I’ve got a lot of posting to catch up on? Does anyone else have, or have had, counselling and, if so, has it been helpful?

Hey Sasbo

A very brave and whole hearted post hun - bet that was cathartic in itself.

I had counselling hun - almost immediately after my SAH and it did me the world of good - I only needed three or four sessions and it helped me deal with everythign and come to terms with everything too - I'd recommend it in a heart beat. Its the best thing in the world to be able to off load all your fears, problems, thoughts etc onto someone who is there to listen and not judge and also have no come back from on a personal level.

Go for it hun and as always, here if you need us.

Hopefully see you soon

Love Sami xxx

Hello sasbo

I had the feeling of an over loaded brain after my sah x x x x

I cried to the doctor and begged him for help x x x hysterical I think the word is x x x x

I was then referred to a sicollagy (spelling) nurse x x who did not help at all x x x went three times to see him x x x

Then with me going to the doctors (my mum dragging me) yet again hysterical I was referred to a councellor x x x

After my first visit I knew she was going to help me x x x it wasnt just the fact I had a sah it was also other things that had gone off in my life x x she helped me deal with EVERYTHING i had been through in life things that I thought did not bother me x x I was diagnosed has having a very high case of post traumatic stress x x I went to see her once a week and after I think 10 or so meets I felt able to continue with my life x x

Sasbo if I can help you in anyway or answer any questions you have I am here for you x x I hated feeling the way I feel and still from time to time I have a bad day but thanks to all the support I have and my councellor I can cope ALOT better with it x x

Oh I made my councellor have tears in here eyes x x x but since my councellor I have been told by a number of people they cant believe how I help them through their situations x x x

love to you hun

donna

xxxxx

Hi Sarah,

I really wish that I had been offered counselling and believe, that it should be available to all of us, without having to fight for it ..... If I was offered it tomorrow, then I would definetely take it up .....

I'm truly sorry to hear about your troubles and that in itself, would be more than enough to cope with .... let alone the SAH and two lots of surgery. I find it so frustrating, that we're offered so little of everything....

If you ever want to have a chat on the phone, then please PM me ..... and as Sami has said, it was a very brave and honest post .....

Love Karen xx

Dear Sas, Please take good care of yourself at this time. You have suffered many losses and you are grieving for many things. A counsellor would be supportive in helping you process all of this.

I am in training to be a psychotherapist/counsellor myself and as painful as my experiences of loss have been it has proved cathartic and strengthened my core. It will certainly help you gain focus, clarity and healing.

My mother passed away middle of last month and I have felt totally shattered by this loss, but I am processing it with my counsellor. It is a bumpy road to examine your losses but once processed properly it will discharge so much grief and you will gain so much by it.

Again, take good care!!

Love, Anya x

Hi again, just to say if you would like to email me at any time I would be most happy to help. However, I will just say I'm preparing for a presentation to give tomorrow at college, but anytime after sunday is fine by me!

Ax

No I didn't have counselling I wasn't offered it however I did an online course called epp expert patients programme it only lasted 6weeks and it was really good. Jess.xxx

PS it also made me realise there were alot more people worse off than me

Hi Sarah

Good greif you've been though it havent you I knew some but not all.....sorry honey hugs to you..xxx

Anyway Yes I've had councelling when I was in rehab, and then I went to Cruise bearevement councelling a year or so after I lost my Dad, and I would recomend it really lets you speak to someone you dont know which I find helps......

sometimes things take a long time to show themselves and really having the SAH is bad enough without everything else going on......

Im glad you posted its good to share how you feel.....

I wont drone on you know me I can do that easy :roll:

take care

Louise.xx

Hi Sasbo

You have been through an awful lot in a short space of time. I think it would be good for you to have the chance to speak about it all with someone who's a professional and not family nor friends.

I had cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) after my SAH. It was specifically to help me cope with my severely distorted sense of taste after the bleed. I had about 4 sessions with a neuropsychologist and it really helped me get things in perspective.

Another thing I find really helpful is keeping a diary/journal. I've been doing this for the past 25 years and it really helps me to write down how I'm feeling on paper though I know this won't work for everyone.

Wishing you all best

Love

Anne xxx

Hiya Sasbo ( or Sarah) whichever you would rather :) I think by now you will have come to the conclusion that counselling is worthwhile and a great opportunity to help with all round healing. I can hardly say that I don't agree as I was, until I retired, a counsellor myself :wink: But at least you have had the opportunity to hear others opinion :) I agree with Karen that it is something that should at least be on offer for us all ( me included) as it is no good me trying to sort myself out, it just does not work on oneself, not remote enough and far too subjective. You have had a barrow load, I do hope that your counsellor is able to help, let me say one thing though, if you do not feel comfortable with her/him please say so; a pro will always accept that with good grace and no anger, honestly and will be happy for you to see another, different counsellor. It does not happen often but it can and no good comes from pushing, move on! There I've had my say, PM me too if you think I can be remotely helpful about the practicalities, not the problem, that would be very unprofessional of me :wink:

Thank you everyone, for your thoughts and comments.

First session booked for a week on Monday so will let you know how it goes. I was trying to describe what's going on to a friend and the best I can come up with is that there is so much stuff whizzing round my head that I just can't get sorted and I need to file it all, and that's where I need the help, with the filing bit.

Thanks again.

Sarah

ps - Anne, I wrote a blog for the first couple of years to try and get my brain working again - www.booshbarn.blogspot.com - it really helped and I still go back and look over it from time to time to see how far I've moved on. I was on there the other day and found a poem that I'd written (on the 'sub-blog' I have called Prose & Comms) and I cannot for the life of me remember even writing it!

Hi Sarah

SO know what the busy head feels like, I was told its like a tangled ball off wool and the councellor finds an end and so on till its all untangled - hope that makes sense :roll: I think it will heop a lot, good luck (& if they ask after 5 sessions how you feel down say fine if your not I keep going for as long as you feel you need to)

take care

Louise.xx

Hi Sarah :D

You really have been through it bless you....and i hope that you find the counselling helps.

I have just started, after waiting 18 months....my third session today....it went better today was not sure if it was for me...the first few are going through everything.....you will find it quite tiring and emotional....but i do think it is good to talk and also sometimes for them to just listen.

Hope all goes well for you.

Take care

Love Tina xx