Night sweats

Hubby been having a few full on night sweats which we thought were to do with his medication for anxiety  (sertraline) but doctor thinks it’s a side effect of his SAH.  Has this happened to anyone else?  He’s nearly 4 months post SAH.  He’s sending him for blood/urine tests 

I didn't suffer from these but it could be general anxiety or night terrors that cause this - the problem is I could never remember my dreams after my SAH so I couldn't say whether I had night terrors. Have you asked your hubby if he's been having them?

Hi,

I started to suffer night sweats 3months after sah for about a week, they now seem to have gone. I also suffer with overheating generally at times. Think the night sweats were related to a combination of sah,anxiety and lack of sleep.

Hope this helps.

Im not sure. I think I have had these. It is very possible it is damage to your autonomic nervous system or thermoregulatory centers. The "perimesencephalon" area of the brain is the oldest evolutionary part of the brain and does things like thermoregulation, sweating, heart rate. For instance, when I was in ICU, my heart rate was in the 30s (very low !) And they considered a pacemaker. I could very well see night sweats as damage to the autonomic nervous system from the bleed or scar tissue in that area.

• 5 weeks later...

Hubby yet again woke up with full blown night sweat and although he’s been on the doctors who did blood tests but nothing showed up therefore he’s going back to see him as it can’t be right. He doesn’t seem to dream so can’t tell if it’s night terrors.  It’s worse than when I was going through the menopause 

• 2 months later...

My husbands have subsided now and he hasn’t had one recently now.  Last week he did have fatigue and he decided to listen to his body and take a day off work.  He is 7 1/2 months post PASAH and doing well.

You are really early days Gemmakeys my husband was still in hospital after 2 weeks.  We have found this site very useful especially as my husbands happened whilst on holiday in Cyprus and therefore we had no follow up appointments with the neurologist who treated my husband and he just sees his GP Periodically. 

Over the last few days temperatures have been very high. That could well be the cause. Make sure that there is lots of ventilation in the bedroom and possibly a fan running.

If they don't subside seek medical advice. 

Cat woman he saw a neurosurgeon privately when we got back and had a scan and everything was okay but I’ve told him to mention to the GP about a follow up over here via NHS for a check up as well

Night sweats are horrible .... it's definetly worth running a bedside fan and keeping a summer duvet on. 

I'm on Sertraline and don't find the night sweats any different ..... I still have a fan on low in the bedroom and wear loose clothing.

Make sure that your husband is keeping up with his fluids .... a glass of water does help before bed time.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone

I’m about 4 weeks post now, I’ve had night sweats from since about a week after my nasah. Not every night. I generally will wake about 2am drenched when it happens. After that no more for the rest of the night. I’m pretty lucky, apart from the blood clot (which hopefully has dissolved), I’m recovering pretty well. I’ve got a great support network so my stress levels are pretty low.

No dreams that I can remember so I just turn the pillow over and go back to sleep!

Hi Crazy

Thank you for sharing your experience and a very warm welcome to BTG.

Good to hear you are recovering pretty well and have a great support network.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Tina xx

• 1 month later...

Archived