New Member - Ern

Ern

Hello.

I had my SAH on 5th October 2006. It was a strange one as I was trying to get healthier and was in the gym when it happened. I had a lovely coil fitted on the 15th of October 2006 (After much mis-diagnosis and confusion). I have been lefdt with lots of left sided issues (muscle shrinkage, sensory loss, co-ordination loss, etc.), but after reading some of the stories here, I am feeling as though I got off lightly.

I am back at the gym now (I have been for a while.) and have taken up yoga. That is something I would strongly recommend to anyone who has muscle shrinkage, balance issues or just needs to control their moods (like I did).

Anyroad. I have visited this site on many occassions and have actually got around to registering.

So. Please forgive the bad spelling and strange grammer and bad humour.

just a quick question for everyone.

I have been told that there may be problems with me flying due to cabin pressure. Is this true? Has anyone else heard this?

Hi Ern

Welcome to BTG, here you will make friends very quickly.

I have flown only once since my SAH although I had a slight pressure it was not so bad, I think a few other people have flown after SAH but I think everyone has different reactions.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care.

Hi Ern

Glad you found us and welcome to the site. You had your SAH just a month before me and like you I'm back at the gym as well or should that be when I can motivate myself :wink:

I have flown it was about 6 months after my SAH checked it with the Neuro's who said it was fine. I only got a little extra pressure in my ears/head on take off and landing. If you're worried just check with your G.P but a lot of us on here do fly quite regularly and long haul too.

Look forward to hearing more about you.

Hi Ern, will let everyone else comment on the flying as i am not able to give advice on that, but would like to say welcome to you and your'e in the right place for support and advice , you sound as though you are getting on well and dealing with your probs very well so good luck in your continued recovery Rod

Hi Ern,

Welcome to BTG, I had my SAH in Sept 2006 so quite close to you. This is a fab website by where you will get so much support and advice.

I havr flown every year since to Greece so flight is about 3 hours. I normally get a slightly worse headache than I normally get but the holiday well made up for it :wink:

I would say ask your doctor or consultant but I do have coils too and I am ok.

Looking forward to hearing more from you xxx

Hey Ern

Welcome to the site and to the family - you're in good company here - especially the humour bit:lol:

You'll make lots of friends here and get some brilliant advice.

I've not flown since my SAH over 3 years ago but that's purely cos I haven't been anywhere that warrants flying. My consultant told me I'd be fine to fly but to make sure I mention it on the insurance.

Looking forwrd to getting to know you and experiencing some of that bad humour :crazy: so long as it's clean :shock:

Hello Ern and welcome.

Quite a lot of our members have flown with no serious after effects. My doc said I was fine to fly and that was about eight weeks after my SAH and only a week after I came out of hospital, just as well really or I might find it difficult to go anywhere as I live in Ireland;-) My advice would be don't worry all will be well but do check with your Doc first He/She knows you and your state of health, certainly tell the insurance people, they are unlikely to be worried as the one good thing about SAH is that it rarely happens again:-D Hope to hear from you soon again.

Hi Ern and a big welcome to BTG.

I had my SAH in June this year. Coiled also. I have just come back from a wonderful holiday in Rarotonga in the Cook Islands. I live in Australia and that involved flying to Auckland NZ and then on to Rarotonga. So over the holiday that was 4 flights of approx 3-4 hours each. I did check with my consultant and GP before going...many, many times. And each time I was reassured that I would be OK. The only side effects that I had with any of the flights was the popping in my ears but that only happened on 2 flights.

Hugs

Hi folks!

Thanks for all the advice re: flying and an even bigger thanks for the incredibly warm welcome.

I haven't flown yet, but I am hoping to go away with a volunteer group in the spring. Unfortunately, I am being looked at as the "special" person. (I have had that a lot over the last couple of years :frown: )

Prior to my SAH, I was playing football & Rugby, at the gym 3X a week taking adventure holidays and volunteering on a conservation group. So a lot of that has stopped because I lost a lot of my balance and co-ordination (not to mention the rather bad moods!).

Still now that I am not playing the Rugby and Football, my teams are doing much better :lol:.

I have had lots of really bad mood swings. But I have got them under control now with the help of some counselling from The Val Hennessy Trust and a very patient wife (Yoga helped a lot too).

At the time of the SAH I worked as an investigation officer with the Immigration Service. Due to the mood swings & all the associated issues with SAH & subsequent coiling, I wasn't able to continue with much of the work we did there and my career has taken a real nose dive. But on the up side, I don't get much stress here!

I suppose that it's pretty obvious that I am feeling down about the way things have turned out. That much is true. But I know that I am lucky to have someone who loves me and is willing to stick with me through the worst of times.

This was actually supposed to be a short post to say thanks for the warm welcome, but turned into a confessional! :lol:

chat again soon

"don't worry, have a whistle" Monty Python

HGi Ern and welcome to this very helpful site.

I have flown since my SAH and was fine, I did use those funny little blue earplugs though to help with pressure changes, I think they are called earplanes, they did work but I looked a bit strange :)

I also have had trouble adjusting to the person I am now, and am no longer working, I found meditation helped me, probably similar to the stuff you do in yoga.

Vivien x

Hi folks.

Thanks for the advice re: the flying.

Fortunately, I love the UK so much I don't see it as much of an issue and I am happy holidaying here. :-D

I am really looking forward to getting to knowing you all as I am struggling to find people who can truly understand what I (I suppose I should say we now) have been through.

I get people telling me that over time things will get better or that I have been extremely lucky :confused: . I still have to hold myself back fronm saying things that I will not write here as I am certain that there are ladies reading this. I know that they mean well. But I don't regard losing sensation in your left side, panic attacks, being unable to drive a manual car, having to give up most sports, wondering if you can fly (in an airplane, not in the superman sense:lol:), being unable to get conmfortable in bed, being unable to go to rock concerts, etc as being lucky.

OK I know I am having a down day. I get them fromtime to time as well as all the usual stuff.

Hey Ern

It used to bug the hell out of me too when people used to say that. I think it's just their way of trying to let you know that they understand how serious this was - what they're trying to say is - you're lucky it hasn't killed you - but I guess they want to steer away from the "K" word. Human nature is a strange thing and believe me, there will come a day when you realise that you were lucky - under the circumstance - for now it will bug the hell out of you, so let it :lol:

Ern those folk are the bane of our lives! I know some and obviously so does Skippy and I'll lay bets ( and I don't gamble:roll: ) that everyone else on here knows many like it! I decided finally for those I knew well enough to say 'Well, I think, but only think I'm glad I'm not dead, but then filled 'em in with all my moans! It worked!:wink: