Memory Tricks

Guest Mike84

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any good memory tricks to share? Since my SAH i've struggled a bit with my memory, i've taken to writing things down in a note book - the problem is i forget / haven't gotten into the habbit of checking it!

M

Hi Mike

I keep a daily diary now - to note down any aches, pains and things i have done, to remind me and to look back on. I also make notes for myself about things I want or need to do, or things I have thought of; however I have been lucky that my memory has been really good considering what has happened. I am quite amazed at how good my memory has been.

Do you have a small notebook you can keep on you, in your pocket?

Pre SAH I used to use post it notes inside my purse to remind me of things I needed to buy if I thought about it at work and didn't have my shopping list with me.

I hope others have some good ideas for you to use

Kel x

I often repeat things over and over again to myself, I find the repetition helps. I also use a notebook, put everything on the calendar and post-it notes all over the place, especially on the fridge so the memos are staring me in the face. I also put them in relevant places like on my walking frame if I need to take something out with me.

Mike,

I spoke too soon....just flooded the bathroom floor...eek...

Luckily there is no flat underneath mine!!... "sigh of relief" but I am so tired after wringing out all the towels which I threw down to mop up all the water!!... will now have that bath I think :)

Note to self "use mobile phone calendar reminders or alarm to remind me" LOL :smilewinkgrin:

Kel x

Hi Mike Merrill just recently finished attending a memory group at the rehab clinic and to be honest they come up with lots of strategies but the only one that was really helpfull is as Tina said set reminders on your mobile phone, Perhaps you could set a daily reminder just to fill in your diary, we found that it does'nt matter how good the strategy is even a reminder on a stick-it on the fridge, if you dont look at it, it does'nt work and at this moment Merrill is searching for her diary so there is always things that even your mobile can't remind you of, Good luck Rod

Hi Mike :)

I have a daily desk diary which is open on the days page in front of my pc, ( I always get up and turn on my pc) I write in it all I am supposed to do for the day and any appointments b'days etc. I have found this works better for me than post it notes.

I can also look back in the diary to see what I did last week :)

Vivien

x

Hi there

leaving yourself a sticky to say look at diary is one, but its really a case of getting into a routine/habit of doing things the rehab told me write things down, keep a diary but the phone reminder No but thats a great way, that or the computer callender.....

Hi Mike

I also suffer really badly with poor memory...never did before,

I bought a write on wipe off white board from Tescos they even have one with days of the week printed on for you yahoo:lol:. which makes it easier for me i also use post it notes.

Hope this helps.

Love luck and laughter

Michelle c xxxxxxxxxxxx

For home stuff I'm generally OK, just plain forgetful. Tonight for example I left some chicken breast in the oven for 2 hours whilst I sat on my PC playing games. That's just me being easily distracted though: good job Tammy is patient! :)

However, for work I did struggle for a while at first. Now that I'm office based (have been since August) I make use of Outlook reminders and copious post-it notes. Did try an office diary but I kept forgetting where I'd left it :)

Thanks for the tips everyone, i'm looking at getting a PDA or something similar so i can syncronise with my work calender - will let you know how it works out! On another note i got the ok to drive on Monday so am looking forward to getting my independance back this weekend! :)

I use the calendar and notes on my mobile phone. (The calendar for things to be done. Notes for things to remember like what to by at the supermarket). I allso have a white board by the door, so everytime I leave my appartement, I have to look at it.

I know people who sync their mobile phone with outlook.

Penny, that is a truly genious tip!

My memory was pretty bad to start with. Like lots of others here I use the alarm on my phone, post-its and the calender on my PC. I also have a paper calender at home. But then I have to remember to look at them. I also have a tendancy to throw away any paper on my desk if it has been there for too long. Unfortunately, the post-its tend to get stuck to things I am throwing away!

now all I have to remember is why I am doing this job :)

Edited by Ern
Mis-spelling

Hi Mike,

I use the same prompts as above, calendar, mobile phone etc. I also always carrying post it notes and a pen in my bag to remind me to do things. As my recover has progressed I find I need this prompts less and less.

Although occasionally I get cocky and miss things. :-D

The Brain Trainer is a great puzzle book for getting the brain back in gear. I hated it at the start, still some I can't quite work out. But I saw some major improvements. Especially with the "spot the difference" puzzles.

Good Luck and Congrats re the driving.

Aine

ps you may find you are exhausted after your first few drives.