cotton wool head

hiya all, im newish on this website and i don't really know anyone who have suffered sah and survived them , i wonder if anyone can tell me if they suffer from these after there sah 1=cotton wool head as i call it , where your brain cant take things in properly anymore like processing information 2=balance problems sometimes people look at me because i look drunk !!! 3=inability to explain things the way i want and sometimes i slur my words which my 2 children find very funny !! there are quite a few more but i cant think of them oopps i also panic over silly things like travelling or meting people ,i guess many people have these just wondered how many :-D lynz:-D

Hi Lynz, I find it difficult to process information, following instructions for equipment is a nightmare as is filling in forms. I also have balance problems and look as if I am drunk, so much so, I have to use a wheeled walking frame. I don't slur my words but often can't find the words, I also start to talk and the rest of the sentence goes out of my head. What must seem annoying to others is the fact that I will repeat thing over and over again, forgetting that I have already said it.

As for meeting people and travelling, that does not bother me, in fact I think I have gained confidence.

Hi Lynz

You just described exactly how I feel every day, I guess the worst for me is the balance problems and my speech which becomes slurred when I am tired.

I hate taking address or telephone numbers over the phone because it takes a bit of time to register in my head so I make them say it so slowly.

I don't mind travelling but I do worry about meeting people who are not aware of our problems.

Take care

hi lynz

im not sure ive welcomed you to btg i hope it is as helpful to you as it was to me i think 100% of members suffer much the same as you are experiencing but they will come on later and let you know i didn't suffer an sah but my lin did and in all honesty i have days very much like you more so getting to explain things and not taking things in unless they are repeated or they give me notes its nice the children seem to take it in good stead but things will get better as time goes on honestly take care hugs and cuddles to you all

Hi Lynz,

I've experienced all of them .... The balance problem, may be due to where you had your bleed and if it was close to the cerebellum. If balance is a particular issue, then you must go and discuss it with your GP .... He or she can send you for a balance assessment at your local hospital and you can also receive physiotherapy for the same.

Cotton wool head .... well, I'm nearly 5 years on and that's much better .... however, when I experience some fatigue, then I don't function too well.... the same happens with my speech.

It sounds as though you may be experiencing some anxiety and confidence issues, with travelling and meeting people. If anxiety is a problem, then again, your GP should be able to help you.

What you're experiencing is something that many of us, also experience .... but don't sit there worrying and suffering, you really need to speak to your GP, as they can help you and it's something that I would advise all SAH'ers to do. I don't think that we're offered enough help with after care and we kind of leave it, until we get to desperation point, to seek help ..... I know that I did. There is help out there, but it seems to be the case, that you have to seek it out for yourself.

Wishing you well, Lynz xx

i agree that we dont get enough aftercare support i think if we had 1 leg missing or a visible impairment things would be different ,glad to know that other people get the same after effects , think my nervousness of travelling poss comes to a car accident when my daughter was little and i think im more aware that things do happen in life but that's not saying im down far from it ,im probably the happiest girli i know well most of the time the glass is always half full for me lynz

Lynz,

I suffered pretty dreadful anxiety after the SAH and that in itself can give you physical symptoms, such as dizziness etc ... I certainly didn't want to admit to my GP that I was having these ridiculous attacks or what I saw as being ridiculous, but eventually he seemed to guess, so I was lucky ... I was put onto a beta blocker and it has helped. I'm still taking it now, as the anxiety can just appear, even when I'm feeling pretty calm. I'm also a half glass full person, but anxiety is different to depression and it can also be treated. xx

Guest Braveheart

Hi Lynz,

I am also new and had a recent minor stroke, I have the slurred speech problem when tired which is a nightmare as I do training and presentations for work. I also have a weakness in my left hand/arm and I am waiting for speech therapy and physio.

Always here to chat if you need to and that goes out to everyone, this is only the start of my journey!

Dougie

Hi Lynz

I did initially suffer with 'cotton wool head' although it seems to have got better over the past few months.

I do still have trouble with taking in information and making sense of it all. It can take me time to assimilate all the information provided, to make a clear judgement on it.

My speech seems to be perfectly okay, and no-one has said otherwise. I have on occassions suffered with trying to find the right word I want to say...which can be a little frustrating...but it does not usually last too long, and I might say a word at first that doesn't really work in the sentence I am trying to create...then the right word will come to me after a few minutes.

It is usually if I am tired or feeling a little worried/anxious about something that I experience this.

I also have a continual tingling/pins & needles sensation in 2 fingers on my left hand. I am constantly rubbing my fingers to try to 'get rid of it' which of course doesn't work (altho I still try...:crazy:). I have had an MRi to check this out (to check for TIAs) but it proved to be okay, so I guess it is just something I have to put up with. Or I suppose I could challenge it again...

I have found my confidence is growing as time goes on. I keep tackling different things and overcoming any anxiety about going to new places or places I haven't been to since the SAH.

I managed to drive to Bicester shopping village on my own today, to meet a friend halfway, as she was driving down from Rugby. It is the furthest I have driven since SAH and I am really pleased I was okay there and back! :thumbsup: It is just a case of getting over the initial fear.

I think we all have a varying degree of the symptoms you have mentioned, however as others have said; you should talk through all your worries with your GP as they may be able to refer you for further investigation and possible treatment.

Good luck & take care :)

kel x

Hiya Linz

I'm getting on for 4 years post SAH I think!!! As you can see my memory especially short term is in the land of the fairies. All of the symptoms you have I have experienced, at times my balance is so bad that I use a walking stick. I panic over the smallest thing and yes I find great difficulty in explaining things. Obviously I get good days and things are slowly getting better, I'm more or less used to my new personality but my wife Barbara climbs up the wall at times but we are getting there. You've got over the worst, stay focused you'll get there.

Cheers

John

Hi Lynz and welcome (if I haven't said it before...). Like you, I had only heard of people dying of a bleed, I didn't know anyone who'd survived one until I had mine! Mine is quite recent, February this year, but I have recovered really well. However, I do have the problems with concentration - following conversations are ok but anything more complicated is frustrating. I repeat myself constantly, can't remember who I've had conversations with, and I sometimes have trouble finding the right word - I usually find it after a while! Oh, and I do start conversations and then peter out mid sentence because I can't remember what I wanted to say. None of these things are extremely bothersome, and lots of people my age (50) tell me "oh I do that too" so maybe it's just me getting old!

The brilliant thing about this place is you don't ever feel alone. Someone has always been there, done that. And everyone is so friendly and supportive.

thank you for all your replies , i feel much better now .its funny 3 yrs on and im finally getting to know myself weird eh!!i look in the mirror and see the same old lyndsey but what you see isnt always what you get i have good days and bad days like you all but its so nice to know people like me, kel i get that weird tingling hand thing in my right hand the doctor thinks it might be neuritis ?? but hes not sure .....lynz

Edited by lynz

Hi Lynz

I'm nearly 3 1/2 years on now and still have problems with concentration and finding the right words. The cotton wool feelings only happen now and again mainly when I'm overtired but I do wake up most mornings with numb and tingling fingers on my left hand.

Hi Lynz,

I had my SAH in October 2006.

I still have troube coping with processing information particularly storing it. but it is getting better. This was one of my key skills for the job I had at the time (Investigating Officer in the Immigration Service). I also lost a lot of my articulation skills and and developed Aphasia thus I was unable to present cases at court. To lose both of these skills was a real blow to me. But I found ways around this (The Post It note is a lifeline for me!) and have retrained my brain and developed new neural pathways.

My balance was severely damaged (they "took out" a few blood vessels when I was coiled) and so I had a fair bit of rehab. But I found that yoga helped a lot. I have also been using one of those gym balls. They are really good to get you to regain balance (Make sure someone is with you if you decide to try that, I know from experience that you will need help with that!)

I do have the occasional panic attack when I am in unfamilliar situations or crowded or noisy places. But my biggest problem is that I get very frustrated at times. I used to be known as Mr grey because I never showed any emotion when I was at work. Since the SAH I have been told that I can be intimidating at times and that I need to calm down. I have since left that job for a calmer one. I am also on tablets to help. I am also meditating and practising yoga.

But I am over most of those problems now and you will be too.

The guys here at BTG are an amazing source of support and advice.

If you do feel that you need further help, speak to either your GP or your consultant and really push for further help.

thanks ern , yeah my frustration comes out quite alot i was seeing a neurophycologist and she was very good helped me alot its hard trying to be who you used to be !!! but i take comfort that at least i am still here and things could of been alot worse , yeah 3 yrs on for me and still improving

Hi Lynz,

I have cotton wool head days quite a bit. Was hoping they were associated with still having daily headaches and being on migraine medication (which sometimes helps).

I find the balance thing annoying because just when I think I am doing well - there my leg goes and I end up on the floor looking drunk/daft. I have a folding walking stick that I lug around.

I do have good days where I almost feel like the old me but to be honest I am still having trouble accepting my new limitations/changes. Overall, it is getting a bit easier but it is SO FRUSTRATING not being able to do what I want, when I want to or say what I want to as eloquently as before. But my speech isn't slurred, I just can't find that perfect word anymore.

Oh well, time to rest.

Just remember, there will always be good and bad days. Even for those who haven't been through what we have.

Take care and be kind to yoursself,

Leo xx

Hi Lynz

Yes I was treated at Walton and like yourself was pretty much pushed out with no real information at all. Walton now have a dedicated SAH Nurse and a support group that apparently has been going for years but I didn't hear about it til last year.

We must arrange to meet up some time soon for a natter and coffee :-D