Going to the cinema

hi all i wasnt sure either to keep writing in the green room forum or start a new thread so going here to be on the safe side .

Have you been to the cinema yet???

Was it ok too noisy? screen to big ?? etc etc

ive not been since my SAH due to a worry about noise etc but use to go 2/3 a month

sorry penny took this off your mention earlier

I have been to the cinema and haven't noticed anything adverse.

If you previously enjoyed going, then it would be good for your emotional recovery to do something you enjoy.

If you find that it is too much for you, then at least you will know! But until you try, you cannot be sure.

There are ways to organise a trip to the cinema to make things easier.

Some nights/ days/ times are busier than others. When I worked full time, my Saturday nights were usually reserved for the cinema, but this is a busy time and I don't like crowds these days.

There are quieter nights mid week, or in the afternoon; but this can be tricky if you are going to the cinema with someone who works full time.

Additionally, if I can organise an aisle seat I will. This leaves me feeling less 'boxed in' and I can leave the theatre if I need to without causing too much disruption to others!

Word of caution, 3D films may be a bit too much!!

I did the mistake of going to see Avatar. I came out looking like Edvard Munch's painting, 'The Scream.' (Google it if you are unfamiliar with it!)

Give it a go. If it's not for you at the moment, give it a while before trying again.

But you may find you really enjoy and want to go again.

Lynne xx

Hiya

I have been to the cinema in the past year, but struggle to recall what I have seen... :crazy::oops: but I had no adverse side-effect from it, except from feeling quite tired afterwards.

I wouldn't go to see a 3d film as I reckon it would be too much for me, but am due to go and see The Kings Speech tomorrow night, so will let you know how I get on (if I remember to that is!? :oops: )

Kel x

I went with Nathan a couple of months post op. I didn't find a prolem with the noise bu I did have some dizzyness whilst there. I don't think 3d is a good idea though I couldn't ahe dealt with that.

Def give it a go but don't sit to clsoe to the screen as I found it quite dizzy making!

No 3-D movies for me either!!! Regular movies are tolerable, but the sound is always too loud for me and I've found my eyes are quite tired afterward. I love the movies but have found I tend to wait 'til they're out for rent and enjoy them in my home. I've gone to 2 different stage productions, which I always love - enjoyable, but again - volume level is too much for me still. I can handle outdoor concerts - as the sound is dispersed differently. Like Lynn, I don't do well w/crowds anymore either. Just have to find the right venue at times fewer people are there. Even grocery stores - if there are too many people, I will shop at an odd time to avoid crowds! We just have to find what works best for us so we can enjoy life as much as possible :-D

Hi

I think Penny's right, we're all different. I can watch TV but can't have it too loud and I can't watch programmes that have those silly camera angles, where it either shoots from one scene to another very quickly or someone's sitting still but the camera starts to pan around! This is all too confusing for my brain and I get a headache. I think I have a slight delay in messages being realyed from what I see to my brain. I'm afraid I don't think I could deal with the cinema it would be far too loud, I like to be in control of the volume!

thanks everyone for the replies

will think about giving it a go :crazy: hubby loves going so its only fair on him 4 me to try. Im not great with crowds and noise so am thinking of going VIP which seats 44 people whn full and if the noise is too much use some of hubby ear plugs ( i will prop fall asleep:lol:)

many thanks for your replies

PS got new tablets at doctors today :crazy: fingers crossed again next appiontment with consultant is april 2011

Hey there

Yes, have been to cinema since and perfectly OK - not done the 3D thing yet, but have heard that if you wear glasses anyway, that all you get is two separate screens :crazy:.

I went to a Pink concert 3 months after my SAH and loved every minute of it - no adverse affects to the flashing lights, but if you suffer from photosensitive epilepsy some films could pose a problem.

Its a good way to regain confidence and lift your spirits, especially if its something you enjoyed doing before your SAH - go and have fun.

I always loved the cinema, but when first out of hospital I could barely watch a small tv! Worked my way up over time to a big tv and then the cinema :) I sit right at the back and don't look if there is too much going on onscreen, and now really enjoy it again. It is a bit loud but I can cope with it.

Vivien

O’h Lynne that’s hilarious but true! :lol: I would never be so brave!!! But I did see one of the last Harry Potter movies with daughter; cameras whizzing and stooping at great speed through shops and streets – felt I was attached to the front of the camera, which I guess was the desired effect, but was a real tummy lurching rollercoaster!! One tv advert that really gives an ill-effect still is Aygo Toyota, with the big bouncing mercury balls; even the distorted sound effect makes me feel decidedly sick!!I do sometimes take ear plugs to cinemas that are loud, otherwise I will sit with my fingers stuck in my ears throughout!

I went to see 'The Kings Speech' on Tuesday evening (and can thoroughly recommend it by the way) and other than closing my eyes before the film started, because of a lot of images flickering up for new films to be released, I found watching the actual film okay.

I did have my earplugs with me in case the sound was too loud, and about 3/4 of the way through I could feel my eyes wanting to close because I felt sleepy (not because it was boring me) but I kept them open and watched to the end.

Kel x

Hi!

Because I had no info and thought I should be on the mend I went to a Roger Waters 'The Wall' concert in Vancouver 1 month ( to the day) after my NASAH. I think about it now and realize how crazy that was. It was in Vancouver. My husband and I and another couple who are dear long-time friends stayed in a 2 bedroom suite so I could escape and lay down and nap whenever I needed to. My friend didn't drink because I couldn't drink which was supportive! At the actual concert I wore earplugs and closed my eyes often. I was sooooooo tired, I thought I'd have to leave from anxiety a few times. I made it though, and slept a lot the next few days!

I've been to see 'True Grit' over Christmas time and found it loud but I could keep my eyes open! Also went to IMAX over Christmas and watched a movie about surfing. The blue sky and sunshine on that big screen did so much for cheering up my tired and sad soul!! I did shut my eyes sometimes though.

Try it and good luck, I hope it goes well! Movies provide a nice break for us!

Sandi K. Xoxoxox

I'm fine with "tame" films, though I find the noisy blockbusters hard to cope with.

I thought I was the odd one out with 3D, I really can't cope with those, they send my head into over load, I can relate to Lin Lins comment there.

I hope 3D doesn't become the standard, otherwise I'll have to wait for the DVD.

Look on the bright side, the kids were trying to persuade us to get a 3D TV, that will save some money :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, i am 8 months after sah, i have been 2 times, both times i wear earplugs to control the noise level, are you very sensitive to load anything!!!!! I still am very, you should go to the movies but the plugs work great, take care chris

thanks chris im ggoing this weekend got my ear plugs at the ready

donna

• 2 weeks later...