SAH 09th April 2011

Hi

Just found this site thought i'd join as i have just been released from hospital feeling very afraid and unsure.

I'm 45 up to the event was fit and healthy but less than a week after the event i feel very unsure of the future.

My wife is great but trying to tell her how you feel is hard my head hurts all the time,i was told it will take up to six weeks for the blood to clear at which point they will do an MRI to check everythings still ok.The John Radcliffe in Oxford were brilliant as were the Great Western A&E so if any members of staff see this thank you from all of my family.

I guess we take each day as it comes apart from the headache i don't feel to bad but i am afraid to push myself just in case i guess i need to read some of the post from others ie exercise before making any decisions on my future.:confused:

Hi Fremen65, welcome to the site! So many of us arrive here not knowing what happened or what is going to happen. The people here are caring and supportive and some are new and some have been here for years so the shared experiences are very helpful.

Take your time and read through the posts and ask any questions you have. What type of SAH did you have?

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Sandi K. Xo

Hi fremen65, you're very very early on in your recovery,its only a few days since your SAH so make sure you rest & give your brain time to heal. Your body really will tell won't when to rest so please do listen to it as you won't be able to to the things you used to do for a while. Lots of water & rest is key in the early days & don't be thinking about excercise for a good few weeks or even months yet!

I think at your stage I was still in hospital so you are doing amazingly well just by being on here & asking questions.

Welcome to the BTG family, this really is a lifeline for us all here!

xxx

Hi Fremen65

And warm welcome to the site.

Your not alone in being scared we've all been there it gets better as time passes tho...

take each day as it comes dont push yourself too much listen to your body when tired rest...

but think your doing great if your on the PC so quick good on you.....:thumbsup:

lots of rest, lots of water.....

Welcome to BTG Fremen! Glad you found us here. Most excellent place for answers, support and new friendships!

Do rest up and drink water, water, water! Feel free to ask any questions and/or share your feelings here.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Take care,

Carolyn

Hello and a very warm welcome to you.

It can be daunting when you first leave hospital from having all the staff about, then being at home feeling pretty much on your own. Posting on here so soon after the event is actually quite an achievement as even reading and writing can be exhausting at first, so well done. It is quite natural to have the feelings you describe - I think we could all relate to this for some time after the event. However, you are doing really well and I believe the best way to help your road to recovery is by plenty of rest and plenty of water. These two things should help you the most. It can be so tempting to do too much too soon and many of us have learned the hard way and have found it can be more of a set back - so take it easy - plus there is always someone around on here to answer any questions you may have along the way.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Hello there and welcome to the Family! I'll just repeat what the others have said: you are doing amazingly well to be online just a few days after your SAH, so take it easy. Rest and plenty of water - are you taking Nimodipine? Most of us had that for 21 days after the SAH.

Don't push yourself too soon. Don't do what I did and think "hey, I survived, I'll be back at work next month". Ain't never gonna happen! Well, you could be back at work soon, but personally it's taking me much longer than anticipated because I refused to slow down earlier on. Now I know better.

Take care!

Hi

Thanks for all the messages of support,i had a Perimesencephalic SAH.

Head feels like i have a permanent hangover and i get shooting pains down my back all the way to my knees when i stand up,i take Co-codamol and cyclazine.

After reading some of the posts and doing some research i think i am a lucky bunny!!!

Hello!

Welcome to BTG. It is natural to feel afraid and unsure after a SAH. Like most of us here, the SAH is the first and only experience we have had of ill health, so there is no previous experience to cross reference and compare. As a consequence, it is unchartered territory and so it is understandable that we feel some trepidation.

‘The future’ is a very long path, with lots of twists and turns and so I have found it helpful to shorten my horizon. I tend to think about things in terms of ‘this week,’ or ‘this month,’ and try not to think too much beyond that. It makes projecting forward more manageable and realistic.

Headaches are very common after a SAH. Very unpleasant to experience, I know, but it is a normal part of our recovery.

We often forget how important rest is to our recoveries and mistakenly believe we are ‘doing nothing.’ Your brain has been through a massive ordeal, but it has ensured that you are still here and so maybe, your brain needs a little reward. Look upon rest as a holiday for your brain!

Give your brain the ‘time out’ it needs. You have a milestone pending in around six weeks regarding the MRI, so up until then, why not say thank you to your brain and prevent it from becoming unnecessarily stressed. Take things very easy with lots of rest, because your brain needs it, even if you don’t want it!

Even professional athletes orgainse rest days into their schedules, because they know the body will ultimately function better if they allow it to heal. You don’t need to push yourself at this stage in your recovery. There will come a time when it will be healthy for you to try and progress, but the timing of that is not quite yet.

I look forward to chatting with you again and hearing how much rest you’ve had!

Lynne

Hi and welcome! :-D

I also had severe back and leg pain after the SAH and was given morphine for it in hospital. I was told that it was the blood draining down the spinal column and irritating the nerve endings ... it was horrid, but it does eventually go...

Take it easy and hope that the head starts to improve soon. xx

I walk pushing my wheelchair but after approx 80 yards my back aches real bad...so if you see

me walking in shopping centre near you...I am the one with the big bottom sticking out...not bad as after I had my SAH the Therapists said to my hubby and daughter to mourn who I was as I'd never walk or be the same again........and they said to my daughter to put me in a home...My daughter and hubby said

No!!!!! we will take her home.........my life is back to nearly normal......!!!!! whatever that is nowdays All

I know is that I'm Loved so I am happy

Keep happy and smiling

Regards

WinB143 x

A warm welcome to the site, let yourself rest , drinking water will help with the headaches, im 10months on now and still get bad headaches but not everyday now, so time is a healer. Hope the holiday went well .

Take care Rhiann

Hi there

Welcome to the site and to the family.

You sound like you're doing amazingly well - the headaches and tiredness are all completely normal.

Have a lovely break in Dorset, but don't over do it.

Take care of you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well what a week it was lovely,no headaches no pains nothing.

Took the dogs on some great walks along the cliffs,and swimming in the sea.

How do i feel?

I feel fine i'd say i feel as i did before it happened is this weird or what?

On our return i had a letter waiting for me to say that my MRI will be on the 22/05/11 so here's to 3 weeks of waiting around.

Thanks for all the responses its been much appreciated to know i'm not alone and if my wife reads this thanks and i love you xxx

Hi, welcome back and I'm glad that you enjoyed your holiday in Dorset! ....It's a great place to be, when the sun is shining! :-D

You sound as though you're doing really well with your recovery and if you're feeling as good as you did pre-SAH, then that's absolutely fab! :-D

Wishing you the best of luck for your MRI, but sounds as though you're doing really well! :-D xx

• 4 weeks later...

That's brilliant news and so pleased for you! :-D .... with the DVLA it's best to phone them and keep at them .... a few of us on here have found that we've had a speedier outcome by doing that, rather than just leaving them to it and waiting around for them to go through the motions etc. Wishing you all the very best! xx

Thanks x

Congratulations Fremen ...got mine end of May.....MRI... that is. .. Oh and how long will it be before they tell you results?

I am nervous but what will be will be ...phew who am I kidding......acting all calm lol

Glad you have got it over with

Regards

WinB

Edited by Winb143