Ladies question...pregnancy

Hi all,

I'm 8 months post SAH and have recently discovered that i am pregnant - totally unplanned. Not sure what to do yet :frown: Have been unable to get hold of the nurse practitioner (on hols) to see if it's even safe / advisable to be pregnant this soon after my SAH. Has anyone out there had children after SAH?? I was coiled and latest scan showed all well.

Juliette xx

Hi Juliette

Congratulations! :)

I was told it was not advisable to get pregnant for at least 6 months post-sah; I would think you should be okay. They may monitor you a little closer.

Like Gill said, Jess will hopefully come along later and help out a bit more.

Good luck

Kel x

Hi Juliette,

Congrats on your happy news.

I can imagine you must feel a bit apprehensive about things.

I think they advise to wait 6 months at least. It's something my doc has asked me, would we be trying for a baby again as we were trying before my SAH.

I hope that your nurse or gp calls you soon to put your mind at rest.

SarahLou Xx

I've been strongly advised not to by my neurologist and doctor but because my SAH was the carotid artery (the biggest one in your body) and also a brain/skull heriditary condition in the family. I do know that others have been advised differently so I really think it depends on each individual case.

I'm sure you'll be monitored regularly and you will be well looked after- congratulations xxx

Hi juliette congratulations I have had two children since first one I was pregnant with within two wks of leaving hospital I had them both naturally but it has to be your choice whether to have it or not. If I had listened to the midwife I wouldn't have garry now and he is nearly eight. If they tell you that you need a c-section get a second opinion, but I would say listen to the neurosurgeons they know best. I was clipped. Anyway congratulations again if you want any more info message me. Ps Laura I am gonna have to check my records I am sure my two were on the cartroid artery too. Jess.xxx

Thank you all for your replies. My annie was just on the vessel that continues on from the carotid artery. I still haven't been ableto get hold of the neuro people, but will try again. Not feeling well at all - definitely knocked me for 6 on the energy levels. And of course the constant morning (all day!) sickness not helping at all. Don't remember it being this bad with my 2 girls, but might have blocked all the bad its out!:lol:

Thanks again

Juliette xx

Hi Juliette

I am nearly 15 months post SAH and I am also 12 weeks pregnant. My GP wrote to my consultant to inform him of my pregnancy and the response was basically if an aneurysm has been successfully coiled/clipped there is no reason why I can not have a normal pregnancy and just be routinely monitored by a obstetrician. I am worried though about all the pushing and what it will do to my brain!!!

Congratulations on your pregnancy

Take care

Vicky xx

• 7 months later...

I have picked up this thread as I have a question about giving birth. My SAH was two and a bit years ago and I am now 26 weeks pregnant.

Fatigue is at a debilitating level in pregnancy and I am unable to sustain much activity without breaks.

My Consultant has advised that an epidural may help in birth. The basis being that pain is fatiguing and through reducing pain, my stamina levels will be maintained.

I understand the logic of this and it may be helpful for the physical aspect of my fatigue. But my fatigue (pregnancy symptoms aside,) is to do with mental tiredness; i.e. meeting new people or meeting too many people. Stress is also fatiguing as is confronting new situations / environments. My medical team seem to be taking into account the physical aspects of fatigue, perhaps considering it a bit like ME / MS / or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. But the bulk of my brain injury fatigue is centred on cognitive fatigue and I am unclear how an epidural will help with this.

Any advice warmly welcomed!

Hi Lynne,

I think you need to keep an open mind about having an epidural. You may be lucky and have a short labour in which case you could get by without one, on the other hand if it goes on for a long time you may be grateful to have one.

Child birth can be extremely tiring without having any added fatigue issues - I had not had my sah when I had my first child - but I did have an epidural and it was best thing ever after 20 hours of painful contractions. I wanted an epidural for my other two, but the midwife kept insisting it was too late, so I never had one:roll: I'm sure when the time comes Lynne you will get a better idea as to whether you need one or not. They certainly give you a bit of breathing space by taking all the pain away.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Hi Lin Lin, I can't believe how far on you are, it seems to be passing so quickly (although maybe not to you).

Like Kempse, I was told it was too far on for an epidural with my younger son but I was very lucky in that he came out very quickly after the contractions started and there wasn't much pushing involved. I had hoped to use the birthing pool as I believe this is much easier both physically & mentally on the mum but he popped out too quick for me to get to the pool room. Maybe that is something you could ask the midwife about? Hopefully this will be the same for you to minimise the effects of fatigue. If your fatigue issues are mental (I think that's what you said??) it may not be too hard for you to deal with the physical aspect of giving birth.

What an exciting time for you and your partner and a gorgeous little baby to look forward to after the labour. I can't wait to see the pictures!

Take very good care of yourself & rest as much as you can before the big event.

Michelle xx

Edited by goldfish.girl

Lin I agree with what the others have said, keep an open mind about your birth plan. One thing I would suggest is an NCT ante natal class as they do teach you how to relax & breathing techniques which i found useful in the early stages. I planned a natural water birth at home but ended up with everything except a C section!! I was in labour for a long time too & I couldn't control my breathing because of the extreme tiredness so find it much harder to cope with the pain. The eipdural was fab although I could still feel the contractions they didn't hurt but the down side can be that its harder to feel the need to push & i ended up with foreceps delivery. I did beat myself up about it for a long time afterwards as it was as far removed from what i wanted but both Nathan & I were safe & that is all that matters.

Do have an open mind about birth & discuss the water bath with the midwife as an option, I have a friend who had one at home for her second birth & said it was totally amazing!!

Many moons ago when I had my daughter...I looked at her little hands and fingers...and I thought how clever Al and I were to have made Our Daughter !!

I was so proud of her..it was like this...If I never do anything else in life, having my daughter was so Special !! and years on........

She is the best thing my husband and I have ever done ... She cost us a lot ..lol

I hope you can have more children if thats what you want it is a special thing....

My Mum said to me.."Yes Win you'll have pain but the end of it, you have something to show for the pain" ..She was so right .....

and my Daughter is also my best mate..although we do have some rows ..lol,,she has helped me get thru SAH and is Special x

Hope the Nuero's and Docs say all okay....Good luck xx

Love

WinB143 xxxx

Edited by Winb143

Pre natal classes or Lamaze as we call it here in the states that taught us how to breathe was the most valuable class I have ever taken. I have used my lamaze breathing- much like yoga - over the years post childbirth in many painful , panic or stressful situations. I think it should be taught in grade school in a how to cope skills class!

Congrats on the news! Here in the states everyone seems to have a c seaction ----- and they recovery quickley. I had natural long giant babies birth so I vote c section because it would be a breeze by looking at most of my fellow moms. ( I had a 4 degree tear with my first that took 6 months plus to heal so I am a bit regretful sorry)

Thank you for your very thoughtful replies. I really appreciate it.

You are all correct about having an open mind as I have heard many people tell me that their birth plan did not turn out as they had visualised.

I am worried about the fatiguing aspect of childbirth with the added complication of pre pregnancy fatigue, but this baby has got to come out some way and the midwife tells me that the body’s ability to labour is impressive.

Sarah, I do like the idea of the breathing space that an epidural would afford me, particularly during a long labour. At present I am unable to sustain a single day without napping (very deeply) in the afternoons. I do wonder how I’ll manage during labour, but maybe I just need to see how it develops.

Yes Michelle, the pregnancy is passing very quickly for me too! Maybe that’s because I’m sleeping for most of it. Lol. It’s a bit like time travel – I lose days!!

I notice that you Gill, along with Michelle, also recommend a water birth. I have been very taken with the idea and have done lots of reading. However, I am not allowed one according to my midwife, as my pregnancy is ‘high risk.’ There is a worry that if I fatigue considerably, it will be easier to deal with me on dry land than in water! Shame, as I rather like the element of ‘privacy’ that water births afford and they seem very calm births which I thought would help with my deficits in cognition / mental fatigue.

I watch One Born Every Minute and the epidural births seem to attract a crowd! I don’t like how ‘busy’ the delivery rooms seem to be. I can find that very tiring in normal circumstances!

Gill, my Consultant has recommended that I ask my midwife for signposting to an ante natal class. I’m seeing her next week and will ask for details.

Win, you are right – the pain of childbirth is not a pain without purpose. There is an immense reward at the end of it and I need to hold on to that thought as it is a positive way of looking at the situation.

MaryB – I’ve joined a maternity yoga class. It’s held in the village hall directly opposite my house, so it’s ideal. It is helping with my confidence, but the focus is on natural birth; so I’m not absorbing other alternatives. I think this is why I panicked when I was told that I may have to have an epidural, because I will then be flat on my back and not able to use gravity to help me.

As for a C section, my SAH consultant has written to my pregnancy Consultant and explained that the SAH and coiling is not a contraindication to me trying a natural birth. There is the fear, that a c section may make my fatigue worse and recovery from such surgery may not be straightforward and quick. They think that on balance, a vaginal birth with epidural is the best option. Of course, that does not mean that I won’t end up with an emergency c section anyway – so an open mind, as the others have said, is vital.

Just to make you laugh – or wince – my partner is 6’4” and was 10lb 8oz when born - ouch!!!!! This prompted my midwife to ask ‘Why do all you small women hook up with big men??!!’ I’m told that if it seems that I am carrying a ‘giant’ baby – a planned c section may be the best course! I don’t think I’m going to argue too much with that!

Thanks again for all your kind words and encouragement.

L xx

So happy you are doing well Lin lin, Stay in touch, please.

In childbirth a dear friend of mine was determined to have a natural birth and she ended up with an emergency c section due to something called HELPP (?). She was looking at no other alternatives other than a natual birth. I think she wanted to prove how tough she was or something. Really I wanted to knock her in the head! Silly thing. I think it is always wise to know plans change and the health of the mother and baby are the most important. So however a baby comes into this world we should be greatful for a healthy delivery. By the time I was 1/2 way through delivery I was pretty sure I did'nt even want a baby anymore. I changed my mind and did not want to do that anymore! I recall my lamze coach telling us if we ( mothers) lose control there is no way to regain it. I never lost control EVER in my life until I had my angiogram! I think I saved all my crazy mother screaming for that moment of utter freak the ___ out. LOL

I am so glad that this thread has started I dont know why I didnt start one myself really (no I am not pregnant) but having another baby is something big on my mind and I really want another but so worried only because lately I have been feeling so dizzy and having stiff neck and back x x I wonder how I would cope if I had these feelings and was pregnant too which I can remember last time I was sooo tired so I will have that on top of my fatigue I have now x x I speak to Jess alot about this and she has given me alot of advice of what she would do and I always think this is the best form of advice because that is always my moto "this is what I would do" because everyone is different.....ie fatique and emotions and have very strong ones of these and i know when/if i ever had another baby these will be my main worrys x x

I had a c section with my last one and I have requested if I could have another again x x they say yes because I have had one before and because of my health history x

My neuro team just told me to get on with my life has normal and this included having a baby (wish it was that easy)

It is so lovely seeing a few pregnant people on here and i am sure you will be able to support each other and hopefully me one day x x x

CONGRATULATIONS - I have a moto that everything happens for a reason x x

lots lots love

donna

xxxxxx

(god i do go on lol):lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first time I have been on here for months but just noticed this thread!

Congratulations on the pregnancy Lin Lin :)

I have recently had my my baby boy who is now 10 weeks old and I am nearly 2 years post SAH. He is long awaited as it took 5 years trying for him as my husband had a vasectomy reversal and I also have lupus which can effect conceiving.

I also suffer with the normal symptoms of fatigue etc. I decided after lots of thinking to opt for a c section as I was to frightened of the pressure the pushing would do to my head although the consultant had said I could have a normal pregnancy. I must say that during my pregnancy my symptoms improved apart from the fatigue I felt great. I was monitored every two weeks as had some problems with my lupus possibly effecting his blood and oxygen supply to my son.

I had a spinal which was ok and the c section went smoothly and I am glad that I opted for this as I also don't know if I would of coped with the tiredness of pushing and the anxiety of something happening to my head again!

Since having the baby I have had high blood pressure which I have never suffered with before but it is now stabilised and I'm nearly off all blood pressure medication labetalol. Although this has brought back the anxiety which I thought I had buried and overcome 12 months ago and I keep panicking that I'm going to have another SAH and leave my son. I would love another baby but I am frightened of having the blood pressure problems again and wondering if I could deal with the anxiety and tiredness.

With regards to your birth plan I would do what you feel is best for you and your baby! I did and had no problems with my c section.

Hope it goes ok for you

Take care

Vicky xx

With regards to your birth plan you should do what you feel is best! I did and had no problems with c section.

Oh Vicky I felt just like that after having Garry my eldest don't worry you will be ok I still am and he is 8 now just drink plenty of water and enjoy your son.

Tell him you love him everyday and cuddle him all the time and I really wouldn't worry having children makes you stronger so you will be fine. Jess.xxx