Hello from Canada- Carl

Carl

Hello my name is Carl, I am 54 and had a SAH on May 12 2011.Physically I seem to be as good as new, neurologically I have a way to go yet.I seem to be quite forgetful, a little moody, and I have a hard time concentrating. Did I mention I am forgetful and have a hard time concentrating.... seems my humour is in tact.One of the symptoms that I feel on a regular basis is a fuzziness or fog in my head. This is almost feeling like a pressure, but no pain. I find if I rub my scalp it soothes and the sensation goes away. It is hard to concentrate at work and that has lead to a few problems. I am not ready to retire yet, well not financially anyway.As for the moodiness, I am sometimes listless, sometimes I have an urge to cry for no apparent reason, and sometimes my temper is short. Not to the point of striking out, but I do have a tendency to ignore statements or questions that are asked of me. I don't mean to be rude. Sometimes I feel ignoring would be kinder than responding.I am finding that if I write notes and lists down that does help me cope with the memory problem, although it always seems the thing I need to remember is not the thing I wrote down. Concentration has been a bit more of a challenge. I tend to get side tracked very easily, having multiple "Squirrel" moments on a regular basis. Funny stumbling upon this site was one of those moments. I have no idea what I was looking for but here I am.Thanks for letting me vent a little. I am certainly glad that I am not alone in my situating. I have a great family which is very supportive, but sometimes it is hard to articulate exactly what I am feeling or experiencing. Yet another side effect =) I forgot sometimes I have a slight problem choosing the words I need in order to get my message across. Not that anyone would pick up from listening to me, but I have to pause often to restructure my sentences.Anyway that is me in a convoluted nutshell. I would like to thank everyone for being here and hope I can contribute some how.Thanks Carl

Edited by jess

Welcome to the site Carl we have a few people from canada on here sandi im sure will be along shortly

I to have the memory problem as does alot of people if i didnt do list i would never get anything done my biggest problem is finding my lists after they are done.

I hope you can find all the information you are looking for and if not just ask

Look forward to hearing for you soon

donna

Hi Carl

Welcome to the site!

I was informed by my neuro-consultant that it can take up to 2 years for your body to recover, however I have since found out that it does not necessarily mean you will be exactly the same as you were pre-SAH.

I am now just over 2 years post-SAH, and whilst I wouldn't say I am completely back to pre-SAH me, I am close.

I used to have difficulty finding the right words I wanted to use, and my memory was poor - burning food and leaving the bath running a few times - but over time it has improved. Hopefully over the next year or so your memory will also improve.

Getting sidetracked and easily distracted is still to some extent as issue, but that has also improved over time.

Being listless and emotional still gets me at times, but nowhere near as much as it is used to.

I am glad you managed to find this site by accident, as I am sure you find lots of answers, support and friendly advice here.

Take care

Kel

Hi Carl

Warm welcome to the site, glad you found us.

there are a few others on here from Canada.

You are in now way alone feeling the way to do although you maybe not think so it is early days in recovery.

rest when you feel tired, dont push yourself too hard & drink plenty of fluids....

take care

Hi Carl! Welcome to BTG! Lots of support here from very warm and caring people willing to share their experiences. I'm on the island, just north of Victoria. Had a NASAH (bleed with no aneurysm) on nov 10 2010.

Will check back tonight. Im working today so must go get ready.

Sandi K.

Hi Carl

Nice to meet you and welcome to the family.

I'm nearly five and a half years post SAH and it is a long road to recovery - but as I tell all newbies - you can make as many pit stops along the way as you need to.

It sounds like you have all the classic symptoms of post traumatice stress sydrome - I suffered from this and what you have described is exactly how I felt and is a completely normal reaction bearing in mind what we have been through. I had counselling and it helped tremendously.

The head feeling and them disappearing when you rub is down to tension and anxiety - again perfectly natural - it's due to the muscles on your scalp tightening and when you rub your head its the same as rubbing a cramp, in say, a leg muscle. I know its scary and its hard to relax anot ben anxious but please do try. A lavender spray in my bedroom before I went to sleep or burning lavender oil really helped me as it has relaxing properties to it.

Looking forward to talking some more.

Take care

Hi Carl welcome to btg drink lots of water rest when you need to listen to your body. I still get fuzzy feelings in my head now and pressure usually when I am over tired or the weather changes. Try not to worry to much. Look forward to chatting sometime. Jess.xxx

Hi Carl, and welcome to BTG.

Your going to need that sense of humour, because life will be pretty funny (perculiar) for a while.

It seems like your experience is similar to mine. Emotional overload, loss of obvious words and deep, inner rage, that is best dealt with, by silence.

Don't worry, it all falls into place after a few years. A new Carl will emerge, slightly different from the old, but a little bit wiser.

When all your coping mechanisms are entrenched and things have established a new equilibrium, you will be,

The NEW Carl, Carl the survivor,

and folk will say, " forgive his peccadilloes....., he had a stroke" and forever more, you can ride the wave of outrageous honesty that only a ,near- death

experience, can give you.

Everyone on this site knows your feelings, to some extent or another, so feel free to express or Pontificate to your hearts desire.

We're just glad you found us!

Together, we are strong!

All the best,

Bill B.

Hi Carl,

A warm welcome to BTG - glad you stumbled across us! The symptoms, feelings that you mention are quite common following a sah, all of which can be frustrating at times, but at least on here we do understand, unfortunately it is the majority of people we come across in our day to day lives that don't. All they see is what is on the outside of us, which does not always tell the full story. Three years on and still, very occasionally, getting the wrong word or being short tempered, I feel as if I can almost say, "been there, done that and now wearing the t-shirt. In fact, I could lend you my t-shirt which says "I've had brain surgery, what's your excuse", but I'm not sure the colour would suit you - it's pink!

Joking aside, I wish you well in your continued recovery, stay with us -we're a friendly, supportive bunch!

Take care,

Sarah

I would like to thank everyone for the warm welcome.

DonnaMarie: I lose the lists as well :)

KelBel: I love walking and that has helped the listlessness and the emotions

Louise: Thanks for pointing out the fluids, I know that is a shortcoming, I have type 2 diabetes and I need to drink more for that too.

Sandi K: I lived in Victoria for 10 years, my brother still lives in Saanich and works in Sidney. It is a small word

Goldfish.girl: Yesterday I took a letter from my doctor to work. Handed it to my supervisor and requested a review or my performance. I found that quite empowering, although we will have to see how the review goes :)

Skippy: Thanks for helping me understand my scalp :) I had no idea but I knew it felt good!

Jess: I will drink more water and I will try and keep track of what things trigger my Fuzziness.

Bill you hit the nail on the head. I like your sense of humour and I will Pontificate :)

Kempse: I love the tshirt! I didn't have surgery but maybe I can use the "My brain exploded" statement!

My doctor has told me I should be proud. "Most people don't survive. Yes you do have challenges. Yes you are overcoming them. Don't let people push you around" That being said. my wife has asked me to make lunches today. ciao for now!

Hi Carl, true most people don't survive if they do they have lot more challenges than we do so that is always a plus in those dark days that we all suffer from..

Not sure if being proud is the right phrase being greatful I think is better its my opinion...

& the fluid thing well after 12 years I've kind of gotten to know stuff....thats my excuse anyway.....

have a good day....take care

Hi Carl! Did you have a NASAH (non-aneurysmal SAH)? There aren't too many of us, it's very rare. Unfortunately that seems to mean that they don't quite know what to do with us when we are not exactly 'all better' after a few weeks. Sounds like your doc is giving good advice about taking your time to heal and getting through the challenges that head explosions bring.

Sandi K.

Well Sandi this is the first place I ever heard of NASAH (non-aneurysmal SAH), but it sounds like my case for sure.

The CT scan and the cerebral angiogram showed no abnormalities, but they did perform 5 separate lumbar punctures and they did find blood in the fluid, indicating there was a leak somewhere.

I have to say that the pain in my head was far greater than the pain in my back, although the pain in the back lasted about 2 weeks.

The whole ordeal was quite surreal. Everyone around me was in a panic and I just had a killer headache that needed to go away.

Because of shortages at the Trauma Centre I was in our local ER for 5 days on a gurney. There were other people more severe than me that needed treatment. I was on a diet of ice chips and morphine in case I needed surgery. On the 5th day they did the cerebral angiogram and the neurologist gave me the all clear. The following day I was discharged. No need for surgery, kind of a miracle, immaculate amelioration! :) like my mother would say I am special!

Even when I went back to work I didnt think anything was a big deal. It is only when problems at work started to arise that I noticed the after affects. I don't really want to get into details about work, other than I want to retire soon. I have been with the same employer for 33 years. It will be time for me to move on soon enough.

The bottom line is we all have to live the best way we can and enjoy our second chance!