BBC4 - Rupture, Living with a Broken Brain - Maryam d'Abo

My friend has just told me about a programme to be aired next week that might be interesting to watch:

BBC4, 22:00 Thursday 12th July - Rupture: Living with a Broken Brain. It's about Maryam d'Abo who was the Bond Girl in The Living Daylights. She suffered a sah in 2007 so this might make interesting viewing.

Hi Dawn,

Bless you for this reminder, as I read about this a few weeks ago in the Daily Mail....Think that her Husband has made this documentary...

I hope that you don't mind, but I've just copied and pasted your post and put a reminder in the shoutbox at the top of the forum. Really hope that I remember to watch it...as still have a memory like a sieve....

Many thanks Dawn...xx

Thank you Dawn. I would love to watch it (I have no idea how to record stuff :oops:) I have a memory like Karens and have written a post it note - doesn't always help as I have so many I forget to read them! If anyone remembers could they please remind me on Thursday so I don't miss it?

Thank you.

Michelle xx

Brilliant Dawn!

I am going to put a reminder in my phone, put it on my calendar, email myself at work to add it to work calendar... and ask a few family or friends if they can record it too! Just to be sure I get to watch it! ;) x

I watched it this morning & quite honestly was disappointed. there was too much on other brain injuries & nothing about the recovery from an SAH other than concentration & memory problems. I had expected her to mention how long recovery it & the other things such as fatigue etc.

Not sure it will have helped anyone that needs to understand us after an SAH other than to say its an invisble problem!!

I won't watch it again.

I watched it this morning. I have to admit, a lot of it I had to mute because it was too noisy for me and I've had a banging headache since. I found it a bit arty-farty, but when it wasn't trying quite so hard it was interesting in places. I always thought I knew I was lucky to have had coiling but now I know I was fortunate. I thought the images at the beginning of a quick blast of traffic and people captured quite well what it's like in to be in a busy place.

I would love to hear more opinions, I really wish we were able to access iplayer. My hopes were up on this one. Bummer about them not spending much time on living life after an SAH, that's really what I thought it would be about and I was so looking forward to seeing it.

Sandi K. Xoxoxo

I watched it this morning. I have to admit, a lot of it I had to mute because it was too noisy for me and I've had a banging headache since. I found it a bit arty-farty, but when it wasn't trying quite so hard it was interesting in places. I always thought I knew I was lucky to have had coiling but now I know I was fortunate. I thought the images at the beginning of a quick blast of traffic and people captured quite well what it's like in to be in a busy place.

I totally agree Dawn and thought that the speeded up images of traffic and people coming towards you was a very good visual example.

On the whole it was pretty okay and worth the watch. It did feature quite a few case histories and seemed to jump around quite a lot. I never realised that Quincy Jones had a SAH. Some interesting stuff, but didn't learn anything that I didn't already know, but then again I'm nearly 7 years post SAH, so that probably makes a bit of difference to that of the viewing experience of somebody who's earlier in their recovery.

Yep I agree with the visual on people & noise, I wasn't expecting to see them removing a bone flap to remove a brain tumour tho, the drills were a bit OTT in my view! I'd expected it to be a more personal review of her own recovery but was interested in the figures all the same (I have heard them all before anyway).

As far as clipping goes I think I had it pretty easy, I had no swelling or bruising around the scar & only about an inch of hair shaved off. I was on the ward with a lady who was coiled & she was suffering dreadfully after her op with headaches & nausea & other problems, shes been unable to access the support group at Wessex because she it too ill :-(.

Hello guys,

I found it interesting to watch but have to agree I was also a bit disappointed that it didn't go into SAH recovery in more detail. I actually cried through some of it.

The noise scenes at the start were spot on to how it really is.

Hub found it very interesting.

I think all of us should put a book / film together!

SL Xx

At first ...the movie bit got on my nerves like the traffic rushing at screen....my daughter watched it with me..then said ....

"You okay on ya own Mum" I missed some...saying to my Sa "Yes go on ... you watch your programmes " so missed half

talking to my Sa..lol....phew taped it also.....Was okay but didn't get a lot out of it...Saw the woman who had to have her scull in

tummy and I thanked my lucky stars ....

There for the Grace of God as saying goes .....so it made me feel how lucky I am.......does that make sense?

Be Well All

Love

WinB143 xx

Edited by Winb143

I agree Win and you make perfect sense as....."There but for the grace of God go I" ....I've said that quite a few times in 7 years.. I feel blessed and seeing others in a worse position than myself, gives me the kick up the backside that I need at times. xx