Hi all......Paul from Paisley

Guest Paul Cummings

Guest Paul Cummings

OK just over 2 weeks ago I suffered my SAH, very strange there was signs of a bleed at the back of my head but no scans show where it came from, I'm on Nimodipine and paracetamol. Due back in 26th Jan 14 for another Angiogram, feeling very tired in the afternoons spacing out and have odd twinges in my fluffy head....!

Is this normal...?

Any comments for this newbie

Hi Paul,

Sounds like you had a non aneurysmal SAH. I did too, 9 months ago. They never found the source of my bleed either. I was on Nimodipine for 21 days. Pretty standard from what I was told. Also, had three angiograms.

Take it slow, drink plenty of water and rest. That fluffy head needs to heal. I had, and sometimes still do, have odd sensations, twinges, spiking pains in my head. Weirdness that makes you feel not quite right. I was very tired my first few months. Still get tired in the evenings if I've overdone.

Be kind to yourself and do not do too much in the early months.

I

Hi Paul,

Welcome to BTG, good to be alive isn't it !!

It is early days but I always say look back in 2 weeks then a month etc etc.

It is a long slow progress in getting better but you will get there.

Look back in 2 months and see how well you are getting on.

You will get there as our brain has been through it and needs a rest, Oh and no Stress !!

My surgeon said try not to stress, so just passing it on to you.

I wish you well in your recovery, early days yet but you are a survivor.

Best Wishes

WinB143

• Like 1

Guest Paul Cummings

Thanks guys, the fluffiness in the head i'm feeling is normal then...... just checking out all the details about this condition, makes some scary reading, we've all been very lucky.

My next scan is another Cerebral Angiography 26th Jan. don't think I should have read up on that..

Thanks Paul

Edited by penny
Quote removed

Paul, step away from google , it is not your friend! Most things you want to know have a thread on here that will help and it tends to be more practical and less sensational so probably search here and not the entire www. I know when I was waiting for my 6 month angio check up that everyone here helped me so much , that was when I first found BTG.

Anyhow, Welcome to the club, not one you would have chosen but as you say we have been the lucky ones.

Yes the fluffiness, wierd head sensations are quite typical , I still get them when I have done too much, I think it's the brains way of saying rest me, but if you feel uncertain , something changes or you are worried then definately get it checked out. You've had a shock and considerable trauma so don't rush it, it won't be rushed.

• Like 1

Hi Paul, it is natural instinct for most to investigate further what has happened to them and also natural to look up any further investigations.

If you look around this site there are members who have been apprehensive about an angiogram and come back to report that it was no where near as bad as feared. A little knowledge can sometimes scare you to bits.

Please don't worry about it, all will be OK.

• Like 1

Hello Paul,

I'm glad you found this site too! It's Helpful, comforting and very friendly!

I'm a newbie too. They haven't found reason for my sah 4 weeks ago either. My angiogram was fine and not as bad as I led myself to believe from looking up all sorts on the various search engines (naughty girl!). I was given a lot of information including the procedure and sensations I might experience on the day and that helped me very much. I was able to go home few hours after.

My head hurts too sometimes and definitely tells me when I have done too much! All the comments are so right about drinking lots of water and resting.

Alison xx

• Like 1

Hi Paul

I had an intracerebral haemorrhage (no cause yet found), but I had an angiogram and it was honestly fine! I was so drugged up when they did it I just lay there all sleepy and don't remember much at all. My leg was a little bit sore for a few days, but nothing major, so try not to worry.

Like others on here, I still find myself tired (I've just got to the 2month mark), but it does get easier as time goes on. Just think, if you hurt your ankle, you'll rest it and avoid walking unnecessarily on it. Therefore really with a brain injury we should rest our brain, but it's impossible to ever rest it completely as your brain is also having to manage the rest of our body - your brain is trying to recover whilst it also controls your breathing, digestion, moving etc etc! Brain injuries are therefore going to take a while to recover from, as even when your sleeping your brain isn't resting!

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum! Lots of friendly people on here who will help you and give you advice. You've joined the right place :-D

As for the fluffy head, yes yes yes :lol: I am 3 months out and have lots of head pain, twinges, dizziness, spaced out and very tired. This is all normal.

The most important advice is to rest and listen to your brain. It will definitely tell you if you're doing too much!

Alison x

Guest Paul Cummings

Hi all, well I went for my check Angio Monday morning.......after a horrific episode from a trainee trying to get the needle in my groin after an hour of trying she gave up and had to page someone with experience.......!!!! So Mr Surgeon man came in and got it all sorted after giving me some amazing muscle relaxant got the needle in and continued with the angio.

One of the most painful procedures I've ever had, Is that normal ?

I seemed to have felt everything..... !

After the scan I got the good news that again it's all clear :)

I have had a very sore leg unable to get up and down stairs just due to the bruising..

But today my head was very very sore.....had to call the GP and he advised me just to take paracetamol

My wife is not happy as the Hospital has not given any clear instructions for after care what to do what to avoid.

It's just been a case of thanks for popping in and bye now.....

Has anybody got any ideas..?

Thanks again Paul

Edited by penny
Text speak removed. Re: Forum rule 7

Hi Paul.

Yikes, that doesn't sound like much fun but glad it's all clear, you must be relieved and pleased to get it over with, I know I was. The bruising will go soon enough and keep drinking plenty of water.

I think that often the medics in the neuro world are happy when someone survives and can walk out the door, it's not that they don't understand the after effects from SAH they just are a bit ' well what do you expect, you broke a bit of your brain?' That's my experience mostly. Also I think they don't tell you what to expect because everyone is different but a little more help would be nice.

The good news is that there are people who will help you in this next bit of your recovery and reassure your wife. the brain and spine foundation do a great little booklet and headway provide practical support. also reporting a link I put on another thread which is a document I found via occupational health and GP's and many months after my SAH but which I found useful all the samehttp://www.behindthegray.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?9022-Useful-patient-literature-about-SAH&highlight=Booklet

Just take it easy if you can. It's been said many times on here but healing from this is not linear and not the same as getting over a virus or broken leg, you have to respect what your body has just been through. Sending best wishes.

Eeek Paul, I know people have to learn but trainee doing the ango yikes!!!

Bare in mind that isn't always the case so don't let it freak you out too much...

Think we all have that 'thank-you for coming - have a good life' and not a word on what to do and don't...

the bruising will ease I was achy after but glad that it was over...

Hope your resting and drinking plenty liquids...

Hi Paul,

So sorry for your ordeal. Unacceptable. I was lucky and asleep. Although, I do remember parts of the second one.

Best news is the "all clear". Bad news is, what do I do now? Louise is so right, thanks for coming and have a nice life. I saw my dr 6 months later, better prepared, with all sorts of questions.

I had a terrible headache after my second angiogram. My groin area hurt for awhile too. Don't pick up anything heavy or do too much. When I did too much I would nearly pass-out. Drink lots of water and rest. It is so important for the brain to be quiet. I didn't listen to advice and at 6 mos thought I was rolling backward. That does happen or did to me, at least. I think because I pushed too hard.

Take it slow.

I

Hi Paul,

Sorry you had a bad time.

I was in cuckoo land when I had mine so I remember nothing. (Thank goodness).

I do remember my last check up at hospital surgeon said would I mind doing a questionnaire, I said no problem.

In I walk, get asked questions which I replied mostly "Cannot remember" Then the 2 young girls said can we take blood sample and the needle fell and the girl pushed it back in my arm "whoo hoo stop" I said.

"Get me someone who has done it before". They would have put air bubble in me. !!

Why do they let inexperienced people do this ! sorry you had a rough time ,if ever you have another insist on someone who knows what they are doing.

Hope you feel better soon, now just get better and try and relax.

Wishing you Well

WinB143

• 1 month later...
Guest Paul Cummings

Hi all, well its been 2 months since my SAH, after being for several CT's, MRI's, CT Angio's and Digital Subtraction Angio's they have given me the all clear as in no Anurysm was found so I'm a NASAH.

The problem is I'm totally done in most days, walking or any household duties like hovering just wipes me out......I'm still having terrible headeaches, dissiness and confusion/spaced out, the Doc has given me co-codamol 30/500 I take 2 every 4 hours, but most days the pain still gets through.

If I'm done in most days how can I be expected to get back to work.....I was self employed doing Taxi-ing the Doc said I can go back to driving once I feel upto it, but I have tried this on good days, but there's not many off them.

I have been advised by family and friends to look into claiming, as there is no way of telling how long this could last.

With no money coming in anymore all my finances are gone and I'm not claiming for anything .....

Where do I start this is all new to us.......?

Hi Paul,

I know where you are right now, in your recovery. Its hard. At three months had so much pressure on the head and at almost 11 mos I am just now NOT feeling the dizziness so much.

Give yourself time. I drove around 3 months but I'm in the U.S. and things are different here.

God bless and know you are healing.

I

• 1 year later...

Wow, managed to get logged back in........passwords are a nightmare, it's been 14 months since my SAH. Seen my initial scan, massif bleed from the rear of my head, which filled most of my head with blood.!

Told the wife it was a small bleed lol but she was due very soon so played it down I think.

I have been left with very sharp spicking pains in the head, along with constant headaches every day, memory loss and extreme tiredness

Meds have been changed again, now off the Anitriptyline woo woos and now on a much less drowsy med Gabapentin 600Mg 3 times a day along with Co-Codamol 30-500Mg 3 times a day. Pain seems to be managed, but just covered up the pain still remains underneath and likes to be the boss at least once / twice a week.

Not been able to drive while taking the Anitriptyline so hoping to get back to that soon.

So the main problem was a huge bleed from a berry type anurysm in deep at the brain stem, a very unusual place and tricky to get to......so just been keeping an eye on me with various scans...another due soon.

PIP was awarded at low rate care and low rate mobility to be reassessed September 2016

Glad to be here and trying to be calmer and enjoy family life.

• Like 6

Hi Paul if you want to change your name back to Paul Cummings, go to your profile at the top right hand side of the page. Click on your 'name'...next to log out......then click on 'My Settings' and on left hand side under 'Profile Setting's you will find 'Display Name'.....click on it and change your name back.... put in your password and save changes. Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

I had a berry one also Paul.

Glad you are getting the all clear on the berry bleed lol

Keep smiling and singing and no Stress as its bad for us !!

Mine was an SAH and was out for approx. 1 year then they fitted a shunt and "Click" I awoke and sang

to the kind Nurse xx Poor thing !! 

I was told I spoke but remember nothing.  Good job in a way !!!

Well Keep well xx

Win xx xx who is well  ha

• Like 2

Hi Paul if you want to change your name back to Paul Cummings, go to your profile at the top right hand side of the page. Click on your 'name'...next to log out......then click on 'My Settings' and on left hand side under 'Profile Setting's you will find 'Display Name'.....click on it and change your name back.... put in your password and save changes. Hope this helps :)

Tried that, but apparently "That name is already in use, please choose another" mmmmm some ****** ha stolen my name, oh wait a minute that's me. Lol