Bill C - new member still recovering

Bman250

Hi all,

I was very fortunate to have a volunteer stop by when I was in rehab and she told me of this site before I left the hospital.  I immediately joined the site when I got home and have been a silent member for 9 months now, having read many posts and followed many of your journeys and have found solace and encouragement from all of you thank you so much. I'm not sure why I waited so long to tell my story but better late than never.

This past New Years Eve my wife and I were planning on heading to the southern part of our state, Ohio to a popular area known as Hocking Hills for the New Year.  I was going to go into work for a half day and cut out early so we could get a start on the holiday.  I was in the shower when my burst annuerysm occured I had no idea what was happening the veil came down and suddenly I was on the floor of the shower struggling to get out and call for help.

It was all a blur from there I don't remember much just what my wife, Trish has recounted for me. A SAH and two subsequent strokes upon the repair.   I consider myself a walking miracle and so fortunate to have had the wonderful care at University Hospitals Neuro unit in Cleveland..  Yes I said University Hospital not the Cleveland Clinic.  Dr. Bambakidis and his staff saved my life.  NCU for  two weeks then two weeks in Akron City Hospital's rehab unit.  I can't say enough about both facilites.

I am 9 months out now and still recovering.  I didn't return to work since I was so close to retirement and rehabilitation is full time work anyhow.  All you souls that are younger and have jobs and children, I commend you for your bravery and perseverance.  I'm having a hard enough time worrying about me.

I too have had many of the after affects that I have read about here and feel so fortunate for having had this site to refer to and realize this is all part of the healing process.  Everything from the fatigue, head aches, disruptive sleep patterns and moments of what I call fugue which I can't really describe other than the feeling of detachment and not feeling in total control as I'm sure you all can relate.

I owe my life and successful recovery to my lovely wife, Trish.  What I have put her through!   She never left the hospital when I was in NCU,  meeting with the staff every morning and monitoring my progress or lack thereof.  I gave her such a scare and can remember being not a very good patient.  She has helped through my rehab and recovery at home.  To the point where I am driving now and probably have recovered 75% of my lost physicality.

I haven't mentioned the fact that my wife is in pain management from a 4 level fusion in her neck due to an auto accident  so we kid each other about who is the worst of the walking wounded and what a great pair we make.  I am so lucky in so many ways to have had the love and care and encouragement from family and friends. 

Had my first follow up MRA last month and came back with flying colors.  We finally made it to Hocking Hills a few weeks ago for my 63rd birthday and had a celebration of life!  So thankful!

This recovery is a constant process and challenge.  It has taught me focus, patience, perseverance and has tested my resolve to the core.  I can honestly say I am glad to have gone through this experience.  It made me aware of how important our loving relationships are and the care and outpouring of support from so many people was very moving.  I can't say enough about the power of prayer and how impotant the will of our innerselves can affect the outcome of the most dire situations. 

Thanks for listening and thanks to all of you who have made my recovery easier. 

Bill C

• Like 6

Hi Bill :)

A very warm welcome to BTG :)

Glad you found some solace and encouragement from the Forum.

Thank you for sharing your story and it's very good to read how well you are doing with your ongoing recovery. Feel free to ask any questions and join in the banter in The Green Room, we are a friendly bunch :)

Great news you passed your follow up MRA with flying colours and you managed to celebrate your 63rd birthday with your lovely wife Trish at Hocking Hills :)

Wishing you both well.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Take care

Tina.

• Like 1

Hello Bill

Yes- a warm welcome to BGT  - so glad you have found it to be a great help in the past nine months.

Also great to see you have such a positive attitude to your recovery and that you  are doing well. You definitely made the right decision to retire following your SAH. You are giving yourself the best possible chance to improve.

Like your wife- I am `the other half` and have been through the trauma of the anxiety from seeing our partner at their lowest-and the highs and lows of a gradual recovery- does Trish also read the posts on BTG.? I found the site such a help. How did Sophie your dog react when you were really poorly?

Looking forward to hearing from you both as you continue to recover-and wishing you both good strength.

Subs

• Like 2

Hi Bill and Trish,

I vvant to type but my VV has stuck so  V's put together so here e go no VV's ha ha this is the funniest post I i'll ever VVrite.

I ish you ell (I VVish youVVell)  see I am laughing as I type  bliming computer lol.

Glad you made it and ditto to  all that has been said.

Take care and hen (vvhen)  my comps fixed I'll sing you a song .. Did I hear "Oh No" !!

Take care

VV in  xxxxx

Gotta go as laughing too much xx at my typing !!!

• Like 4

Hi,

I'm from the US too! Maryland! It is such a journey back to whatever feels better. I can't say normal because for me that does not exist. I am blessed that is for sure and I can do just about anything I did before but I feel like a stranger in my own body sometimes. I still see me but the old me is a distant memory. Still get weirdness feelings in my head and God forbid when it rains. I hate the rain. Makes my head hurt.

Keep moving along and each day a little piece of you will reveal itself.

Iola

• Like 3

Hi Bill,

Welcome to btg, I enjoyed reading your story - it sounds like you and your wife have had quite a year! You sound like a very positive person and I'm sure that must have helped you lots. It's great that you've made such good progress and are now able to drive again - it's a bit scary the first time you get behind the wheel again isn't it!

I know what you mean when you say you are glad to have gone through the experience - I feel the same way too as I know it has enriched my closest relationships and I feel blessed to have had a second chance at life, albeit with a 'wonky' memory! Congratulations on your MRA result, that must have been a huge relief.

As you've discovered, this is a brilliant site and everyone is so supportive and friendly, you will always leave the site feeling uplifted and encouraged. I'm still smiling after reading Win's (or should I say VVin's!)post above!

Keep smiling & good luck with your recovery.

Janey x

• Like 4

Hi Bill,

A very warm welcome to BTG. Behind every good man there's a good woman. What a great relationship you two have.  Yes your story is a familiar one, but you are a partnership -alone you may struggle - together you will thrive!

An event like this in your life puts things in perspective and makes you truly value the importance of family life - much more valuable than material things!

Good luck to you, sir, and keep posting!

Macca

• Like 3

Well said Macca, family are the most important thing, it's something I am so grateful for. My family have been brilliant and still are. I am still trying to find my normal 7 months down the line, hopefully one day I will say I have found it and accept it - that's the biggest thing, accepting it.

Clare xx

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. Winb, not sure if i followed you but you had me laughing nevertheless

thank you! Iola I love your expression of being a stranger in your own body that really sums it up I so

agree. Finding the new normal and embracing it is a key to a positive recovery.

My best to all,

Bill C

• Like 2

Welcome Bill

Great to hear you are making a fabulous recovery, following a very scary time. My SAH also happened when I was in shower! I see you live in Cuyahoga Falls, my son lives there now after meeting and marrying an American girl.

I am hoping to get back to visit him next year, he flew across when I took poorly but oh it did help my recovery to see him as I was fearful that I would not see him again. I know this site helped me too so pleased you have shared your story to help others.

Regards

Sharon

• Like 2

Wow you've been really brave. I can't believe you've managed to remain a silent member for so long! When I had my NASAH I couldn't wait to get involved in discussions for the reassurance that brought. Anyway, I hope your observations of the various posts brought you some comfort. Tell yourself that this Christmas and New Year will be much better, you're on the right road to recovery now and the only way is up !! All my best, Sammy Anne

• Like 1

Welcome Bill,

My SAH occurred directly after I stepped out of the shower. There must be something in the water! Mine has been nearly seven years ago now, but my husband (who WAS in the shower when it happened) saved me with his quick reactions and constant attentiveness. He rarely left the hospital, and then would only go when a family member was present to watch for the dreaded vasospasms (which I never had, thankfully). At the beginning, he got all our closest friends gathered in the waiting room of the ICU and they prayed for me non-stop; the power of prayer truly is a phenomenal thing and the whole experience turned me much more spiritual.

I have been blessed to have what is considered minimal effects from the bleed and surgery, but I still have experienced the whole merry-go-round of emotions, from extreme gratitude to anger over the fact that I didn't just go ahead and die. I had always been a fairly bright and quick person, so the memory lapses and word searching and general feeling of having ADD has been difficult to assimilate. It still frustrates me...but then I think of the "could have beens" and get over my pity parties. And, it has gotten better with time, adjustment, and the help of a good neurologist. Just recently I told him I am feeling better than I have in years.

I can also relate to your lovely wife; I too have had the cervical spine fusion, C-3 through C-7. Makes figuring out the sensations quite interesting: Hmm, is that numbness in my face from the craniotomy or the neck surgery? or Where is the head-ache coming from? Hope it's a neck thing.......I had the fusion like 3 or 4 years ago, but some days the heating pad is still my very best friend.

So, the next time you're in the grocery store and all the colorful items on the shelves becoming totally overwhelming and you just want to leave the cart and run, just remember you are not alone in this. Believe me, you can come to this site and look for support or information about anything related to that SAH and someone here will have experienced the same thing. I came to the site for years before I finally posted and it truly has kept me grounded and sane. BTG is one of the real blessings to have come out of the SAH.

Colleen

• Like 5