Post SAH Hearing Problems

Guest Yvonne

Guest Yvonne

Hi

I developed hearing difficulties after my SAH, coupled with intensely irritating tinnitus, and now that I've recovered from my major problems this is the thing that bothers me most on a daily basis. I've seen a couple of ENT docs and a consultant but they don't know the cause and don't think it could be related to my SAH and/or the other untreated aneurysm. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced similar difficulties with their hearing following a haemorrhage?

Yvonne

x

Hey there

I certianly feel that my hearing isn't as good since my SAH but not enough for me to worry or get irritated by - sometimes when all I hear is "MUM!!!" - it can be a bit of a releif :lol:

Tend to hear my heartbeat and the rushing sound in my ears more since the SAH too.

TTFN

Sami xxx

Tinnitus in my left ear since the SAH ..... especially noticeable at night .... and like Sami, I can often hear the blood pumping around my head.....well, that's what I presume it is ..... :wink: Think that the tinnitus has improved a bit, or it could be that I'm just getting more used to it....

Hi Yvonne

Yes I lost some hearing in my right ear after my SAH in November last year. I've had my hearing tested in March and the audiologist confirmed that I have an odd sensoneural hearing loss pattern in my right ear, affecting my heaing at 1000 and 500 kh. He put me on a course of drugs to drain away fluid from my inner ear but they didn't help and the second hearing test I had three months later showed the same results. It's likely the hearing loss was caused by the vasospasm I had after my coiling when lack of blood supply damaged hairs in my inner ear. My hearing seemed really distorted at first but over the months I have got used to it and am managing better. I have constant tinnitus in my right ear caused by the hearing loss. When I am in quietness, it is hardly noticeable but when I speak or listen to something, it is quite loud. I'm also getting used to this too.

My neurologist didn't think my hearing loss was connected with my SAH but I knew it had to be in some way as I heard perfectly well before it. I find listening to music difficult as it sounds distorted as apparently you need both ears working well to hear music properly.

Did you get a hearing test done at the ENT department?

Best wishes

Anne

Hi there

A little bit of tinnitus (I think) but certainly not regular but I do get a lot of 'rushing' sounds/sensations which could be, like Sami and Karen, the blood rushing round. It's quite disorienting when it does happen, don't like it!

Sasbo xx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had tinnitus befor my event, but after my hearing has really gotten bad I am always asking what did you say, and not just once sometimes I have to ask a second and third time. I find it very annoying.

And my eye sight got worse so reading lips is out :lol:

Evelyn...

Evelyn, you need to go and seek medical advice from your Doctor and discuss this problem. I do get pressure in my ears, changes of frequency and tinnitus (which did improve and has recently come back, like a whooshing of air sound) .... However, I've never experienced bleeding, so it's important that you get this checked out.

• 4 years later...

I am so annoyed that noise is bothering me again. Today at work a gal was tapping a credit card on counter while on the telephone. I had to grab her hand to make her stop it was so loud and annoying. I also am now more than before telling people to "Shhhhhhhhhhhh", even my boss. I cannot take the loud talking, the talking over the noise or noise in general.

I thought I over came this battle but I guess not. Maybe it is worse when tired or late in the day. Anyone have similar feelings to noise?

Thanks, maryb

I am so annoyed that noise is bothering me again. Today at work a gal was tapping a credit card on counter while on the telephone. I had to grab her hand to make her stop it was so loud and annoying. I also am now more than before telling people to "Shhhhhhhhhhhh", even my boss. I cannot take the loud talking, the talking over the noise or noise in general.

I thought I over came this battle but I guess not. Maybe it is worse when tired or late in the day. Anyone have similar feelings to noise?

Thanks, maryb

Hi Mary

I too still have problems like you. I have intolerance to noise as I find that at times I am unable to filter out the extra noise I do not want to hear. as an example I will be working trying to read an email or letter and I get distracted by girls giggling fu=rther down the office or the tick ticking of the printer or the beeping of the fax machine. I then put on my ear plugs or my headphones in an attempt to block this out to allow me to concentrate.

The problem then is I feel like I am in a swimming pool with all the noise just muffled but still there so I have progressed to using a phone app which gives me a choice of sounds to listen to and I find birdsong and sometimes a stream or rainfall really relax my concentration and remove the other sounds that distrurb me.

I do find the noise seems more of a problem when I am tired or overwhelmed by two many multitasking projects or jobs at once or if I feel pressured in any way. In the book Rebooting my Brain the author describes it really well saying stimuli overload is a problem and she illustrates it by saying her brain is like a nightclub with a bouncer at the door who checks who should come in and keeps order and calm so everyone can enjoy themselves in the club but since the sah the new bouncer is pretty rubbish and lets too many in at once so it gets very loud and messy in the club and pandamonium reigns.

I often feel like I am in that club and just long for a bit of peace and quiet so it is the distractions that need removing where possible and I do this by using the headphones. It also has a bonus effect as my work colleagues nod knowingly when I use headphones or earplugs as they know that I am having a difficult day so they leave me alone more coz they know distrurbances are troubling me

Sorry I waffled on a bit there but hope it helps to know others are still feeling the same.

I believe you and I have similar disturbances following nasah and the light too still troubles me even though I am approaching 3 years post sah

It must be down to where we bled though my bleed was never seen on scans only through lumbar puncture

cheers

Di xx

Oh Mary and Di - I so know what you mean - my hearing is the thing that troubles me most! I have lost some hearing in one ear, which a hearing aid did not help! My ears feel like they are underwater, sound is muffled and echoes! Plus the constant buzzing drives me mad! I think thats why I like being outside as its not so noticeable, whereas indoors -voices, music and the TV drone in my head! Glad Im not the only one! xx

I have the exact same thing going on as well! Sorry, MaryB - had to laugh at that, "just had to grab her hand..." I think these things but rarely do them, lol. My daughter, in her younger years, played drums and other percussion instruments. She's now 28, but still can't seem to stop tapping, clicking, etc... with objects. I do grab "her" hand, and say, HELLOOOOOOOOOOO... knock it off! More difficult to handle situations when other people are doing it.

I'm going to have to find that book Di. I like the analogy of the bouncer and nightclub. That is how I feel too.

Have had a difficult time explaining the noise, stimulus thing to others, but that is perfect.

I'm a few days shy of being 3 years post sah. Don't know that it will or won't improve over the years, so I just keep going and avoid situations at times when I'm tired and/or not feeling well. I'm working on having back up plans, so when I'm out and about, I have options to get away from the NOISES and LIGHTS, etc... when I need to.

I have the same problem with what I call 'bionic hearing'. My ears are sensitive, I hear everything and too much noise brings on the fatigue. I've put my hand on other people's when they are clicking or tapping pens. I give the evil eye to people who are crinkling paper during conversation. I can't stand noisy fidgeting. At tables with multiple conversations I have to say I'm sorry, I can't hear unless its one conversation at a time. When I'm in a situation where I've been 'assaulted' by noise it's a massive and instant relief to be in the quiet.

I use earplugs in restaurants and although not perfect it does help to buffer some of the noise around the table. I like Dawn's suggestion of an iPod in a work environment.

I had neurocognitive testing done and my report said that this is likely a long term effect from my SAH. The neuro psych explained to me that it takes so much brain power for me to concentrate and filter noise that it drains my energy quickly and brings on the fatigue faster. So hence the relief when it's quiet. I can do more for longer in quieter environments.

Sandi K.

Thanks ladies, I feel better. I was wondering if it is days I take the riatlin to stay awake but I guess when I am home laying on sofa I have the volume on 9 and no one can hear the TV. AT XMAS I had a house full of company and they had the on 40 I was like a crazy person!

I think I am going to call and see how much it is goign to cost me to see the NEUROPSYCHOLOGIST that I saw after testing. He was so nice and told me to call anytime. I need him to help me sort this all out with me. Actually I just want someone to give me the answers to all my life's questions.

Hi Mary,

I have this probelm too. As I now work in a call centre, I can't wear earplugs to work anymore. The noise of everyone talking does not bother me as it's like a general hum, but I sit next to an 18 year old chap who is at 'tapper'. I feel for him because when I look at him and he quits instantly...what a stare I must have!

I too can only have the t.v on 9 or 10. If there is a lot of clapping in a show and I am tired, there is no chance of me watching it at all. I have noticed that the rustling of plastic bags and the noise tin-foil makes drive me nuts. That might sound like a weird thing to say and I only noticed it at xmas as it seemed that Andy took hours to wrap the turkey in foil. I also cannot stand the sound of the washing machine or the dishwasher. Even with both the kitchen and living room doors closed, I can hear it. I tend to put the washing on overnight so that my earplugs drown it out. Also Andy has developed a lovely habit of doing the washing when he gets home at 14:00 so that it's quiet when I get home. Isn't he lovely :biggrin:

Edited by DawnS

LOL Dawn about the foil. Mine is when David puts the dishes away. Holy COW! It is like he is tossing them in the cabinets.

OUr washing machine and dryer are in another room near the center of where I SIT. They are prety new and do not make much noise. We desperatley need a new dishwasher but when I price them the silent ones were like $400 more than the regular one. Just was not prepared for that price difference.

I would also like to tell my husband he does not need to walk so heavy but I think I would get a dirty look on that one.

Thanks, mary

All noise drives me INSANE!!! People outside running their cars to defrost them is my current nightmare, it has to be done but grrrrr it drives me crazy.

Dylan gets told to stop moving about his bedroom if I am sitting in the kitchen (directly underneath) :lol: Noise of any kind sends me over the edge. I avoid some friends some days because they have loud voices & I cannot cope with being near them. Trying to think, write or have a conversation with any other noise around is just too hard & too confusing and makes me feel quite stroppy.

I am hoping to become more lovely to be around again one day :devil:

Michelle xx